441 vs. 460

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BaldSawRunner

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hey guys, new to the forum here:D I am looking to get a new saw, either the Stihl 441 Magnum or the 460 Magnum. I have looked at the spec sheets, and the 460 has more HP for about $50 more. Would this be a better buy?

Any comments from people that have them appreciated:clap:

I really have to say go for the 460. I own an MS441 and I love it, but for 50 bucks more, I would have went for the 460. The reason I didnt was I couldnt find one here when I wanted it. Both are awesome saws, as is the MS440!

I second the vote for the 460. Why by a saw the same weight (441) with less power. Work the price a little, most dealers in my area cut you some slack on pro saws

They run about the same in pretty much any wood in my experience. The 460 is slightly faster. They weigh about the same too. I can't tell any difference. The 441 is smoother, easier on fuel and keeps the filter cleaner.

Either saw would be a good buy. Myself I couldn't justify $50 more for the 460.

Every time we get on this topic It makes me mad that they stopped making the 440/044. To me the 441 is a poor replacement to the 440 when it comes to power to weight ratio.

Last edited:
Every time we get on this topic It makes me mad that they stopped making the 440/044. To me the 441 is a poor replacement to the 440 when it comes to power to weight ratio.

Even when it outcuts the 044/440?

Face it....all new saws are going to be heavier due to the new emissions regs.

Hey guys, new to the forum here:D I am looking to get a new saw, either the Stihl 441 Magnum or the 460 Magnum. I have looked at the spec sheets, and the 460 has more HP for about $50 more. Would this be a better buy?

Any comments from people that have them appreciated:clap:

With 20inch bars in 20inch wood there isn't 2 cents worth of differance in speed between the two. With long bars yes the 460 pulls away using that extra 1/2 horse it has. Smooth wise, its the 441 100%, filter staying clean tank after tank after tank its the 441 100%. I own them both and I know. Best thing I like about the 441 is the fuel milage. Its a penny pincher on fuel, the 460 is a guzzler. Unless your planning on sawing some big wood using long bars the 441 will do anything the 460 will do and just as fast. It would not surprize me with EPA cracking down that Stihl uses the 441 not only to replace the 440 but the 460 as well. People have been waiting for a 461 to replace the 460 but to date theres been no talk of it from Stihl.

Another vote for the 460. The 441 is supposed to be very smooth and have much better air filtration. However, I don't find the 460 vibrates badly, and I don't have trouble with my filter clogging up. So I'm going for the extra ponies. Plus, the 460 has the Dual Port muffler cover available for even more HP. Just bolt on and presto! Instant 441 beater. Also, if you want to mod, the builders have the 460 all figured out (or there's plenty of info available if you want to do it yourself). Everybody's still figuring out what to do to the 441. Even a muffler mod sounds tough on one of those.

Despite having a lot of other cool stuff to run, the 460 w/ 28" bar is my go-to saw. Runs good with the 32", too.

Hope that helps. Let us know what you get!
Shane.

Everybody's still figuring out what to do to the 441. Even a muffler mod sounds tough on one of those.

Mine ported easy. Easy gains, though probably not as great as from some other saws. Picked up 1k rpm free-load and 2k in the cut.

Tough call!!! Everyone ravs about how smooth the 441 cuts, I've never run one. But I LUV my BB046 (big bore 046, same as 460) it runs about even with a 660 with a 24" and lags as the wood gets larger. But it's what I wanted. Thirsty doesn't even begin to describe this saw!!!! Seriously, I don't leave with less than two gallons of gas for a day of cutting!!!! I can cut two to three times the wood in half the time, but I think it costs more either way:)
I have seen a stock 046 run a 32" in Oak, not sure I would, and not sure I would with a 441, but it will do it!
I am not sold on the new Strao motors yet either!! The Stihls have held up so far, but it's new technology and it will take time to prove it.
If it was me, I would look for a used 046/460 and either do it myself, or find someone to do a woods port on a BB kit (if you don't mind paying a bit more for gas:hmm3grin2orange: ) take the money you saved vs. buying a new one for bars and chains, and have a heyday!!!!!!!
But I ain't known for being right in the head:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

I like my 460 very much,it's stock,about 25 tanks of gas through at this time.But it is like my 1st 460 and does like its gas. My 460 will go through 3-4 tanks of gas compared to 1 on my 361

Even when it outcuts the 044/440?

Face it....all new saws are going to be heavier due to the new emissions regs.

It may be a hair faster than a 440 but weighs noticably more. But it is not faster or as torqey as my 460 which is the same weight. I understand the EPA is making these regs but somehow Huskey is still puting out their 372 so why did stihl have to stop production of the 440. It would be nice to have both options until the regulations were in full effect. Now that said I believe stihl stopped making the 440 partly cause with a 460 and 440 on the shelf the 441 would never sell.

It may be a hair faster than a 440 but weighs noticably more. But it is not faster or as torqey as my 460 which is the same weight. I understand the EPA is making these regs but somehow Huskey is still puting out their 372 so why did stihl have to stop production of the 440. It would be nice to have both options until the regulations were in full effect. Now that said I believe stihl stopped making the 440 partly cause with a 460 and 440 on the shelf the 441 would never sell.

When playing around with them in some 20" hickory the 441 was noticeably faster than the 044 we had there. It literally hung right with the 460 with the 20" bars buried. Course, my 660 was just barely faster than them in that size wood.

May have an chance to run many of these saw against each other this Saturday. I will try to get some vids, if able.

Back