441 vs. 460

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When playing around with them in some 20" hickory the 441 was noticeably faster than the 044 we had there. It literally hung right with the 460 with the 20" bars buried. Course, my 660 was just barely faster than them in that size wood.

May have an chance to run many of these saw against each other this Saturday. I will try to get some vids, if able.

That would be great, if no video maybe post some times. We also need to remember a good user can make up for a lack of HP. If you know what you are doing with your 441 keeping a little pressure on it but not slowing it Im sure you can beat someone with a 460 who is lugging it or not working it. My dad is good with a saw but loves to lug them. I can give him my 660 versus my worn out 044 and beat him in 20 inch oak. We switch saws and I beat him again. He can not get used to high RPM saws.

That would be great, if no video maybe post some times. We also need to remember a good user can make up for a lack of HP. If you know what you are doing with your 441 keeping a little pressure on it but not slowing it Im sure you can beat someone with a 460 who is lugging it or not working it. My dad is good with a saw but loves to lug them. I can give him my 660 versus my worn out 044 and beat him in 20 inch oak. We switch saws and I beat him again. He can not get used to high RPM saws.

haha.....Yep same scenario with my dad. He's run an 041 for the last 30 years and refuses to adjust his technique. Don't know if he didn't used to use sharp chains or not, but he tries to push the thing through every cut.

If nothing else I can guarantee some pics. This is all weather dependent, we have some ugly stuff headed our way tomorrow night.:(

C'mon Tom, whip out the videos.....:popcorn: :popcorn:

LOL, you remembered that huh,LOL Yes that was one hard piece of wood I was beating with that hammer wasn't it. Those two saws were like twins in it, there was no differance between the two. Like I said if your running long bars and sawing big wood, yes I would give it to the 460. 20inch or less using 20inch bars I'll take the gas miser anytime. I'm not gonna ride a 4 wheel drive truck on a 20inch highway when I can ride in a Caddilac and get more to the gallon.

Ray I had a video of the two saws in some real hard wood. The wood was so hard I was hitting with a 32oz hammer and it was bouncing off. That is the vid Peacock is talking about. The saws, 046 and the 441 cut exactly the same in that wood. You are correct about the user part. The user plays a big part in how a saw cuts.

Last edited:
I sure do like it when you talk dirty Tom.:love1::monkey:

LOLOLOL whatcha talking bout Willis,LOLOLOL

Facts be known those that like the 460 better be buying them up. Its days are numbered just like all the other saws that will not meet EPA in the near future.

Thanks for the input guys! I did just get a MS390, but, you know...that whole CAS thing has kicked in:greenchainsaw: Seriously though, I have some larger timber on my uncle's farm that he wants cut down, and quite frankly, while the 390 has handled everything so far, I really do not want to burn it up cutting up those big trees. (I say "big", most are anywhere between 24" to 36" DBH). I will probably go with the 460, although here a week or so ago, I did see a new 440 on one of the local dealer's shelves. I would kinda like to get it for a collectors item, but I do not have that much $$$ sitting around just to buy something I possibly wouldn't use. Besides, a chain saw was meant to be run, so rev the sucker up, right?:D

Last edited:
My advise.. if the money is not the issue, run BOTH before you buy them. If the dealer doesn't have a demo, ask for a customer(s) that might accommodate your wish... then choose.

Spec's on paper.. weight, hp etc are just that - on paper. They may have no relevance to your use or needs. Many making a recommendation here have not used both...

How much timber you talking about? That 390 will get you thru 300 to 500 big oaks as long as you keep it a little rich and dont over heat it. But that said a 460 with a 24 or 30 inch bar would probally cut your cutting time in half.

Well, I am not sure how many trees, he has about 30 in a field he wants down because he wants to turn that into a hayfield. He just bought some land he says has a bunch of trees he wants down, but I have not had the chance to look at that property yet. I was planning on keeping a 24-25" bar on the new saw. I mostly cut wood for my mom, and my uncle and his son. I have another uncle that has back problems, and I am not sure if he still uses wood heat or not, so he could be a 4th I would be cutting for.

Lakeside, I know about the "paper specs" too, I just forgot to mention that in my OP. But I do agree with what you said. :)

I have both and I tend to use the 441 more often. Very smooth and light on my wallet in the fuel market.

hey baldsaw where in mo are you located I have a 441 you could try if you like I absolutly love it the people who are rushing out and buying up the 440 are missing out sometimes ney technology is a good thing I had a 440 and I am very pleased with the upgrade

Both pretty close in power. Try them out like Lakeside said ( if possible ) then make your decision.

Well, I am not sure how many trees, he has about 30 in a field he wants down because he wants to turn that into a hayfield. He just bought some land he says has a bunch of trees he wants down, but I have not had the chance to look at that property yet. I was planning on keeping a 24-25" bar on the new saw. I mostly cut wood for my mom, and my uncle and his son. I have another uncle that has back problems, and I am not sure if he still uses wood heat or not, so he could be a 4th I would be cutting for.

I would talk to a logger in your area, If thoes trees are as big as you think that should bring you minimum $3000 if they can be sold for venir. They will probally leave the tops if you want for firewood.

Back