441 vs. 460

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Funny, I just saw a 440 sitting on a dealer's shelf today too. Wonder why there seem to be so many around here.

Depending on what length of bar you're cutting with the 441 will serve you every bit as good as the 460. It's only once you start running longer bars that the 460 begins to out pace the 441. That being said, the 441 is a smoother saw, has better filtration, and as has been mentioned; is much better on fuel. Personally, I'd still opt for the 460...however, there's certainly argument to choose the 441. Either saw would be a nice addition IMO.

I would talk to a logger in your area, If thoes trees are as big as you think that should bring you minimum $3000 if they can be sold for venir. They will probally leave the tops if you want for firewood.

Some of these trees have rotten wood in them, alot are too knotty for logging. Besides, my uncle does not allow loggers on his property anymore.

I am leaning towards the 460 with a 25" bar. I think I would rather have some extra power , if needed.

Thanks for the opinions everyone, I really do appreciate it! :D:D

I think the most important thing to remember is to be careful and be very aware of your surroundings when dropping any tree, especially a big one. Watch the tops carefully and be sure they aren't tangled amongst each other.

My advise.. if the money is not the issue, run BOTH before you buy them. If the dealer doesn't have a demo, ask for a customer(s) that might accommodate your wish... then choose.

Spec's on paper.. weight, hp etc are just that - on paper. They may have no relevance to your use or needs. Many making a recommendation here have not used both...

Andy is giving the best advice there is.

Everyone has their own preferences and it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks ultimately. How the saw feels in your hands while in use is what matters.

For example, the 460 is one of the most popular and successful saws ever made period,but they are too buzzy to suit me personally. So between those two saws my own choice would be the only slightly less powerful, yet smooth as a baby's behind 441. I am guessing 4 out of 5 folks would choose the 460 because vibration isn't as important to them as to me. No right or wrong here.

Last edited:
Some of these trees have rotten wood in them, alot are too knotty for logging. Besides, my uncle does not allow loggers on his property anymore.

I am leaning towards the 460 with a 25" bar. I think I would rather have some extra power , if needed.

Thanks for the opinions everyone, I really do appreciate it! :D:D

Good choice, with proper care that saw will last you as long as you care to cut. The 441 im sure is a good product but it is too new to know how 5, 10 or 20 years of use will suit the saw.:clap:

Tough call!!! Everyone ravs about how smooth the 441 cuts, I've never run one. But I LUV my BB046 (big bore 046, same as 460) it runs about even with a 660 with a 24" and lags as the wood gets larger. But it's what I wanted. Thirsty doesn't even begin to describe this saw!!!! Seriously, I don't leave with less than two gallons of gas for a day of cutting!!!! I can cut two to three times the wood in half the time, but I think it costs more either way:)
I have seen a stock 046 run a 32" in Oak, not sure I would, and not sure I would with a 441, but it will do it!
I am not sold on the new Strao motors yet either!! The Stihls have held up so far, but it's new technology and it will take time to prove it.
If it was me, I would look for a used 046/460 and either do it myself, or find someone to do a woods port on a BB kit (if you don't mind paying a bit more for gas:hmm3grin2orange: ) take the money you saved vs. buying a new one for bars and chains, and have a heyday!!!!!!!
But I ain't known for being right in the head:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

Of course you ain't right in the head... none of us on this site are:hmm3grin2orange:

Alot of people think I am nuts cause I enjoy cutting firewood. I don't sell it; did that with my dad whin I was 8-18, do not really wanna do it again. Besides, I would charge too much for my services, noone would buy from me LOL

I did have a guy I work with want to sell me his Stihl 028, but he said a couple of bolts were broken, " 'cause I was pressing down too hard on the saw." That kinda made me shy away from the purchase. No telling how bad the engine is messed up. But, that is just me...I guess I could buy it and tear it apart, if nothing else, just for the fun of it::hmm3grin2orange:

With 20inch bars in 20inch wood there isn't 2 cents worth of differance in speed between the two. With long bars yes the 460 pulls away using that extra 1/2 horse it has. Smooth wise, its the 441 100%, filter staying clean tank after tank after tank its the 441 100%. I own them both and I know. Best thing I like about the 441 is the fuel milage. Its a penny pincher on fuel, the 460 is a guzzler. Unless your planning on sawing some big wood using long bars the 441 will do anything the 460 will do and just as fast. It would not surprize me with EPA cracking down that Stihl uses the 441 not only to replace the 440 but the 460 as well. People have been waiting for a 461 to replace the 460 but to date theres been no talk of it from Stihl.

I would agree. My friend has a 441, and I cannot believe how much better they stay clean vs. the 440 or 460. That was the big reason I bought a 385xp.

I run a 441 and a 460. The 441 wears a 25" bar, sometimes a 20 wth an 8 pin, and is used for limbing and for bucking small stuff. The 460 has an after market full wrap and a 32"bar and is used for falling and larger bucking jobs. I see these as different saws, similar but different. The 441 is better suited for utility tasks like cutting in tall grass because it stays cleaner. Both are great saws, you really can't go wrong.

Andy is giving the best advice there is.

Everyone has their own preferences and it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks ultimately. How the saw feels in your hands while in use is what matters.

For example, the 460 is one of the most popular and successful saws ever made period,but they are too buzzy to suit me personally. So between those two saws my own choice would be the only slightly less powerful, yet smooth as a baby's behind 441. I am guessing 4 out of 5 folks would choose the 460 because vibration isn't as important to them as to me. No right or wrong here.

You made a very important point there, a pity I am out of rep bullets......:clap: :clap:

I went with the 372xp for my basically non-existent needs for a 70cc+ saw, but that is another story......

Last edited:
Back