455 Rancher

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MinivanFan

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I'v been offered a 455 Rancher with a 24" bar as part of a trade. I don't know anything about this saw so I thought I'd run it by everyone here. Is this a half decent saw? I saw on the Husqvarna website that it retails for $415.

I bought one for $300 to help out a friend...NEW in box..not gassed or oiled.
Sitting in back room...sort of like an emergency saw...if needed...LOL
They sell routinely for $300+ on Ebay. Are $399 at Lowes...(not in stock local)
They have a pretty good reputation of being reliable and lasting well.
Main thing I don't like about them is the weight to horsepower.
It's just way too heavy compared to Stihl 026 and 036. But again very reliable.
Somebody come by and offer me my $300 bucks back...it would be gone.
My Stihl's listed below...pry them from my dead hands...LOL!

Also...why would anyone put a 24" bar and chain on a 55cc/3.5hp chainsaw?
Most folks use 18" or stock 20". I would be very hesitant to buy this saw.
:cheers:
J2F

Last edited:
The 455 Rancher is a great saw. Mine has been a reliable, solid firewood cutter since the day I bought it. I see Husqvarna sizes them with a 24 inch bar but you may find it a little underpowerd to pull that chain in hard wood. I am sure it will pull it but not with authority...remember its a 54 cc saw. If the one you are looking at is new or a good used one I would feel very comfortable jumping on it. Keep in mind however...for just another $0 you could have a 346XP...a saw in a totally different universe!

attachment.php

attachment.php

This is my 455 Rancher with an 18 inch bar. Sliced right thru this honey locust.
attachment.php

Last edited:
I've had mine for a season. Mine has a lot of time with no issues. Power to weight issue? Maybe. So much hypothetical crap said & posted about these saws. Just a practical and useful saw for the farm..exactly as advertized. $200-$250 is a fair price for a clean used one. You see them new for under $400. For the "new" price I would probably fork out the extra bucks and go for a 460, the 60cc update of that saw. For those who say a 350 is a match...BS.

i had one of these i got last year in a trade deal. it was like new. i sold it for $280.

i didn't run it but a couple times to make sure it was good before i sold it.

i put a 16" solid nose bar with semi-chisel chain and it cut darned good for a 56cc saw.

i did have to tune the carb a little as it was way too rich.

some people are put off by all the plastic. i didn't keep the saw long enough to be able to tell if the plastic parts were going to be a problem or not.

far as i could tell it compares pretty well to other saws in its class like the ms290.

you find factory refurbished ones around all the time for around $299-$312.

i like the cub-cadet 57cc saw better --but there pretty much sold out everywhere.

i don't think there a bad saw. sometimes you can get a nice deal on a used one.

Do a Google search on this saw. I have read over 100 posts and about 70% were in favor for it.Just a short note, the day that I am unable to handle the extra pound or two, Then I will sell all my saws. For the price this is a good value, or the 460 for a few dollars more, Ken

i was cutting wood with a friend that had one could't oil the chain. i even turned the oiler up all the way
i say it's not a bad saw for hacking up a couple small trees every year

I've cut about 10 cord of firewood with mine so far no probs. though I will say 2 things you will want to do are get an 18" or 20" b&c and turn the oiler all the way up.
this little mod was handy for a little more power. takes the wind out of the power to weight issue, though it's not really that bad to begin with. saw only ways about 14lbs. with a 20" B&C
IMG_0748.jpg

id say if your a firewood cutter or the occasional user definitely jump on it. a guy sold it to me for 150$ and i am not a husky fan so it might be leaving soon but i doubt it. i muff modded mine no pics though and it runs hell of a good now but 24'' is way to big the 20'' on mine now is too big a 16'' would be just about right.:greenchainsaw:

Mine's been a good saw for a year of intermittent firewood cutting. 20" bar with full chisel chain is about all it will pull in red oak, but stone cold reliable. Zero headaches; yeah it's a little heavy, but not too bad, really.

there is a recall for carb problems and also the coils go out of them

Not quite accurate post there.

There is no recall due to carb problems.

There is a service bulletin regarding a change to an improved carb for both the 455 and 460. They originally had different carbs, but now share a common unit. (one had a zama, and one had a walbro, which was strange) The change to the 455 took place on early 2008. The new carbs require a different boot to connect the adjustent screws to the saw case.

I have replaced a few carbs, but no more frequently than any other saw. (The 357/359 on the other hand had a carb issue with a somewhat high failure rate).

I have never seen a coil failure on one of them, and there are no coil related service bulletins that I'm aware of.

Overall, these things have been excellent as far as reliability is concerned.

Thanks for all the info guys. I'm waiting for the guy to send me pictures of the saw. When me does I will let you know what shape it is in.

I own one and I personally like it although i do agree it is a bit heavy compared to the power ratio output.. Its still a great saw... I have the 20" B&C with the 3/8 pitch setup on mine and it works wonders..just make sure you use a good chain on the saw open the oiler all the way and I wouldnt ever run anything bigger than a 20 B&C on that particular saw.. But over all its a decent saw.. never had any issues with mine just take care of it and it will take care of you...

P.S. Dont adjust the carb unless you know what your doing... I tried asjusting mine one time and well it just wouldnt run right like it did from factory so I had to take it to the dealer and pay him 20 dollars and he got it back in tune for me and even richened the H mixture screw for me a lil bit. That was what I was trying to do but Im not a carb guy but thought I would at least try and it didnt go so well for me.. 20 dollar mistake but now ots runnning better than ever so I am happy with it..

Power to weight BS......

Good grief, It's a $400 saw. The only saw in it's price range that offers better hp/lb is the Dolmar 5100s. But it has had it's share of issues and doesn't always have the dealer support/parts availability. I have a friend who has cut his firewood with a 455 for the past 3-4 years with no complaints.

Last edited:
I used mine for half of a firewood season. It was a gift to me from my mother in law. The saw is a wee bit porky, but does preform good. For a mid ranged home owner / farm saw. It will last a long time with good care. The 455 version is better suited to a 16" to 18". At least under the condtions that I cut under.

Ended up not getting the saw, the other guy lost interest in the trade but thanks anyway everyone for the info and advice.

Latest posts

Back