460 or 660 - Need to purchase

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vvanherk

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey All.

I currently have an 036 Pro.

Last year I was in thinking of picking up a larger saw, and had some posts to that affect. I delayed the purchase as I was able to work around things, and I needed to save money...

Anywho, I'm back in the market again. I have some 24"+ diameter hardwood that has fallen in my bush, so I need to cut it up for firewood :)

I just cut for personal use and what not, but prefer to get the right equipment for the job.

So, just thought I would post the question again.

I'm assuming the 460 with a 28" bar will be a great saw, especially with mods.
Would it be better to go for the 660 and a different bar in case I get some even bigger wood I need to deal with?

I know it is hard to say..... My stihl rep mentioned the 660 as an option, as it gives me a bigger bump from my 036. But, it is a little heavier, and the modded 460 looks/sounds pretty good in the youtube vids, but the 660 really burns through the big stuff like butter in the same videos :).

So, just looking for some input. Sure, I would like to get both, but that doesnt work right now...I'm sure either one would be fine, but just trying to get all the info so I can make as good a decision as possible.

Any input appreciated.

Also, what are list prices on these saws. (I'm in Canada).

Thanks in advance

I would say a 460 or something similar should serve your purposes well. The 660 is a real good saw but the wood has to be REAL big before it really outcuts a 70ish cc saw. It is a significant amount heavier though and that is something you begin to feel rather quickly. I was actually thinking of selling mine cause it deserves to be used more, I probably never will though.

460 is a dandy if your going to run a 28 all the time I would consider getting the west coast versoin it comes with the full wrap and upgraded oiler pretty sure any way you can upgrade it yourself if not

Get the 460, then if it isnt big enough send it to get ported then it will outcut a stock 660, plus it is quite a bit lighter.

But you can always mod the 660. I have ran both alot, and own a 660. If you use them both enough, you can't really tell the difference in weight.

I went with the 660 over the 460 because I won't have to worry about ever being undersawed.

460 is a good saw, but won't cut with a 660. you can mod the 460 to hang with it, or mod the 660 and have a real powerhouse. 200 difference in price. If you're going to spend 800+ you might as well spend 1000+.

JMO, but I like a big saw.

not trying to be a :censored:; but since when can't an 036 cut a 24" tree? By the time you post this ? and read the responses you could have cut up those trees.save yourself $1000 and go cut some wood!:cheers:

not trying to be a :censored:; but since when can't an 036 cut a 24" tree? By the time you post this ? and read the responses you could have cut up those trees.save yourself $1000 and go cut some wood!:cheers:

It very well can, but this dude prolly has the same problem alot of us on here do.

Your on a chainsaw forum....the guy wants a chainsaw....why you gotta keep a guy down?

Go with the 460...you wont be undersized....

The 660 WILL GET HEAVY....

Don't let anyone tell you that 460 wont run a 36" bar if you need something bigger 1 day....and especially if you only need it the long bar on occasion...

Hey.
No, it's a good point, and one I have thought of. I only have an 18" bar, so I would need to get a bigger one. I think stihl lists the range of the 036 to up to 20". I imagine it can go bigger, but not sure how much more. So, if I get a bigger bar, and a few extra chains, I'm a couple of hundred bucks into it, and it seemed like a lot of effort for little gain, and that getting a bigger saw might be a better approach.....

Hey.
No, it's a good point, and one I have thought of. I only have an 18" bar, so I would need to get a bigger one. I think stihl lists the range of the 036 to up to 20". I imagine it can go bigger, but not sure how much more. So, if I get a bigger bar, and a few extra chains, I'm a couple of hundred bucks into it, and it seemed like a lot of effort for little gain, and that getting a bigger saw might be a better approach.....

Where are you buying your stuff? cause if a bar and a couple chains cost over $100+tax your getting screwed...:cheers:

Alot of people run longer bars on the 036. I would'nt go over 25" on it though.

Only problem is, if you have alot of big wood to cut, it takes alot longer to get it done. I like my 660 because I can breeze through the big stuff. I use it to cut out old fencerows. I can cut 100 trees a day on average when I'm clearing old fence. Mostly wild cherry and maple. These trees will usually run from 16-36" mostly 20-24". The speed of the cut and lesser time it takes to make the cuts greatly outweighs the added weight of the saw IMO.

I can use the 660 one day and the 390 my boss has another, and I am not near as tired at the end of the day with the 660. Thats why I always grab it first.:cheers:

Hey.

It's OK, this is probably one of the few places you will never have to justify purchasing a new saw. I run a 25" bar on my 361 on occasion just for grins and it is not a problem. I ran it like that today for a little while in fact. Stock it's a little slower than a 460 or 660 but it gets the job done. If you want a new saw buy one. Nobody here is gunna care!

I kept my 460 over my 660's. It normally runs a 25'' but also runs a 32'' when it needs to and does'nt seem to mind it at all. I myself just don't care for the 660. 460 on the other hand is a sweet saw.:cheers:

Bottom line is that it's your money and we can only give our opinions to you.
:cheers:

460 handles better and is lighter. The weight difference and handling will get to you. Plus, a 460 will handle up to a 36" if you need it to on occasion. I think you will just get more use out of the 460. Its more versatile and certainly not underpowered.

I recently paid $920 for my 460 with a 25" ES bar. That is at my local Saskatchewan dealer who has a really sharp pencil. I was quoted $980 at Timberland in Edmonton. Compare that to $1150 for a 372XP

ive got 2 stihl 460's and a 660 but find i use one of the 460's the most ,sometimes go a 372 for limbing but mostly the 460 with a 20" roller tip and semi chisel , use it for everything up to 30" . most of my cutting is dry aussie hardwood and only drag out a bigger saw for big stuff or ripping with a longer bar .rarely need any anything over a 20" bar for general cutting and its nice and light .

actually i rarely get to use the husky 372 as my wife prefers it for limbing against the stihls which i prefer.

Last edited:
I can't really offer a 460 to 660 comparison (even though I have a modded 660 on the way) but it depends on how much you actually use a saw as to whether the weight of a 660 will bother you. I can throw my 390XPG around all day felling trees and to be honest it's no big deal - it weighs about the same as an MS660.
The more you use it the more you'll get used to the weight and before long a 460 will feel like a paperweight.
However, if you are just a part time user, unless you're relatively strong/fit/big etc, saws of this size can be tiring and in your case I'd think a 460 is the better choice.
They have a good reputation. Don't fall for the bigger is better brigade unless you're certain you need 92cc odd. If a 460 will do 99% of what you need then get one and put the $200 saving towards a 32" bar for it and a couple of chains :cheers:
Many of us have larger saws lying around after working out you don't need to run a 42" bar to fell a 36" tree :cheers:

As mentioned too, if a 460 turns out not to be enough saw, get it modded. It would be worth it if you need it ;)

Back