460 or 660 - Need to purchase

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I feel your pain, I was there two weeks ago.... I went with the 460 and am not looking back.
With a 25" bar I can burry it in a pine log and the saw WILL NOT STOP. I am only 5 tanks into the motor so I still have some break in left to boot.

I took everyone's advice and am very happy with my 460, she is a wood eating monster...

I believe it's very important to properly accessorize your equipment just as it is in clothing fashion.

What we use:
066 with 42" bar
650 with 36" bar
460 with 25" bar
361 with 20" bar
200 with 16" bar
009 with 12" bar

This allows us to handle most any situation that comes up.

(And what's the problem with too many saws?)

I can't believe nobody has said this yet....

Buy Both!

(I know, money is an issue, and you don't need 2, but hey, what the hell!)

I have both, and should probably get rid of the 660 because I rarely see a tree over 30 inches, but it tears through them 3-4 footers like butter with that 36" bar on it.

Another 460 vote.... I have not ported mine yet, it only has the dp muff. cover. I run a 25" on mine, it sure is fun. :clap:

460 gets my vote

i run a 25 in bar and rsc chain.and keep a 32 in bar in the tool box for the very few times i need it..i dont have a 660 but i have run one for an hour and it got heavy quik..on the other hand i want a 660 its next on my list as well as a 360

If I weren't going to use a bigger saw much, I'd just stick a 25" bar on the 036 and save some big bucks. If your hell bent on spendind close to a grand on sawing up a few big trees go with the 460. I've got a 660 and honestly don't use it that much. In fact I'll prolly have it traded off for a new 460 by the end of the week, the 460 will do anything I need it to and the dealer is offering to trade a new 460 for my 660 for only a 150 bucks difference, as you get older the weight starts to make a difference. My 660 has held it
value well as we take care of our saws, but it's only a little over a year old.

The 460 will do more than most AS members will ever need it to do. But as always, bigger,faster equals better.lol The 660 is a gas hog compared to that 036, better pack a bigger fuel can.

The 460 will do more than most AS members will ever need it to do.

+1

My workable two-saw plan (yeah, long since dusted because of CAD) for firewood and tree service cutting is the 460 (mine is ported and muff modded and will easily run a 32-inch bar through hardwood) and the 026.

I hate to say it but i gotta go with the 460 aswell. every time i grab my 660 i am all grins. the 660 is lots of fun but the 460 to me is just so much better all around and if you arent cutting big wood then the 660 is a little heavy. I have been cutting some serious 30+'' American Elm and the 046 i have just tears it up with a 24'' bar. i dunno i have both and wouldnt get rid of either but if i had to only have one......... well........ screw it i want both.

DSC02402.jpg

For 24" wood the 460 will be fine. I had a ported one that would pull 32" great. My ported 044 is my go to saw now and loves a 28" RW bar. I have a ported 660 also and the torque is crazy. It doesn't come out unless the wood is over 32" or I need to noodle real quick. Check out the 441 also, less vibes and a better air filter. Mine pulls a 25" b&c like a champ.

As mentioned the wood has to be big for the 660 to come out. Otherwise a 440/441/460 is the best all around saw imo, great for a long day of felling and easy on the back for bucking.

check this out. i was mesn around and made these vids, same bar same chain on both saws, both saws are ported by me both very similar port jobs and tuned the same.

<embed width="600" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" allowNetworking="all" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid661.photobucket.com/albums/uu339/Evan03_photo/saw%20vids/GEDC1918.flv">

<embed width="600" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" allowNetworking="all" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid661.photobucket.com/albums/uu339/Evan03_photo/saw%20vids/GEDC1917.flv">

its hard to tell the difrence in speed. both cut danged near the same but like mentioned earlier the 90cc isnt that inpressive untill 30" or bigger wood.

i realy realy like 70cc saws i cut mainly doug fire and will run 32" bars on my 440 and 44s
heres the 28" bar on the 440 mesn around in small wood
<embed width="600" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" allowNetworking="all" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid661.photobucket.com/albums/uu339/Evan03_photo/saw%20vids/GEDC1782.flv">

bigger cookies
<embed width="600" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" allowNetworking="all" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid661.photobucket.com/albums/uu339/Evan03_photo/saw%20vids/GEDC1777.flv">

Last edited:
My 460 is my oldest, and last year replaced the top end, but it is my dearest. Normally run a 28" and drag a few above and below along when I'm not sure what I'll be gettin' into (I get a lot of referrals to clean up storm drops and cut for myself and a couple of neighbors).

Last week my B-I-L (read that: moron related by marriage) tells me that the storms brought down "some branches" out of his maples and a few oaks, and would I be interested in them for firewood. If so he'll haul if I cut. He's got my old tandem dump trailer, a bigger truck and a bad ticker, so it sounded pretty good, and I could do wife number last a solid in the bargain (so maybe she wouldn't be so mean... yeah right!).
Anywho, we live about an hour and a half's drive apart, and I'm rushin' to beat the beach traffic, so I grab my 460 and my possibles box with spare chains, bars and what not. I come back to get the gas and bar oil and think, "yeah, better grab the little fart just in case he didn't finish limbin' like he said he would. Like a jackwad, I snatched up the little 170 'cuz my arms were already full and made tracks. Holy crap that is a POS! Do they make a 6" bar for that thing? My pole pruner has more azz.

Of course I arrive to find that the limbs were actually the better part of the biggest maple I've ever seen. Probably 120' of which split at a crotch 30' up. The oak "limbs" weren't much smaller. Everything was a solid 30" on the fat end, and the remaining half of the maple had to come down (about a 5'+ trunk).
The other "I should'a known" was that he hadn't touched a leaf, and I had a crap load of limbs to clear just to get close. A half hour in and I'm ready to run the truck over the 170... repeatedly. WTH was I thinkin'? Maybe for cuttin' corn stalks, but the big juicy maple was just laughin' at me, and I was only attackin' the tiny stuff.
I finally snapped, pulled out the 24" bar for the 460 and an immediate calm washed over me as my frustrated grimace was quickly replaced by an idiotic opiate grin.

It ain't sex, but it sure gets close.

The rest of the day was a chore, and I resorted to a 3' bar for the trunk work, but all in all, it could'a gone much worse. If I wasn't such a ##### about screwin' up my favorite saw, I'd be moddin' hell out'a the Magnum, but first I've got a new old 036 to recondition, so we'll see.

That's my long winded way of sayin' hell yeah to the 460. Fabulous saw that'll cut more wood than you'll wanna move.

Oh yeah, "some branches" is now split, stacked, and drying nicely thank you. All three cords of it.

That last reply was a pretty good read, so showed it realy go with chains trench in the dirt. Maybe a few pics so we might think some of the stories true

Last edited:
This thread was revived for story telling, notice: its a few years old

I vote for the MS 460......I sure miss mine :cry:

Yeah baby go for the 460 luv mine and I use my 660 for the really big stuff. I had the same problem as you Wigglesworth. Sold the 460 cried for a month and then bought two more then ported the one. I fell in love with the 460 and it is my first to grab for anything 20" to 36"

Get a used 046 and 066. Tear them apart, clean them out, check everything, replace parts as needed, and they will cut just as well as a 460 or 660, but for less money. After a while you'll know which one you prefer, and you can sell the other for the same money you bought it for or more. But I think you'll want to keep both! ;)

/Pontus

Latest posts

Back