461 recall?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

macattack_ga

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
y'all tracking this?

http://wildfiretoday.com/2017/02/23/stihl-recalls-100000-chain-saws/

Today the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) announced a recall of 100,000 STIHL chain saws that are at risk of fire and burn hazards. The saws being recalled are models MS 461 and MS 461 R. Both are used by firefighters.

STIHL Inc. has received 117 reports of pinched or leaking fuel lines but the company reports they are unaware of any damage or injuries caused by the possible defect.

Recalled chain saws have a serial number between 173092800 and 181993952 under the front hand guard on the engine housing’s sprocket side. The models affected were sold for approximately $1,000 from July 2012 through December 2016.

The recommendation is that owners of the saws immediately stop using them and take them to an authorized STIHL dealer for a free inspection and repair.

Sounds like something to skip. I never sent my Remington 700 in either. Lawyer scare mongering?

I didn't send my 700 in either. I takes to Remington and they wanted me to take my scope off at my expense and ship it bar and reinstall my scope at my expense... I said no thanks

Our ms461 we just purchased at the firehouse in December is under the recall, need to get her in.

Jason

Sounds like something to skip. I never sent my Remington 700 in either. Lawyer scare mongering?

I doubt it is fear mongering at all. From the recall letter and the paperwork there are photos of unti that indeed had the fuel line slightly pinched. I say better safe than sorry. As far as the Remington 700.. well that is on you. If it were me I would get that checked out. :D

My 461 is affected under the recall, but I have zero evidence of fuel leakage. Is there any chance that looking for a problem for which I have no evidence exists will result in a different problem if my dealer hoses up the inspection?

My 461 is affected under the recall, but I have zero evidence of fuel leakage. Is there any chance that looking for a problem for which I have no evidence exists will result in a different problem if my dealer hoses up the inspection?

I guess it is possible it could cause a different issue. But really if you aren't comfortable with your dealer removing the carb to check the fuel lines and re-installing you should be looking for a different dealer.

I didn't send my 700 in either. I takes to Remington and they wanted me to take my scope off at my expense and ship it bar and reinstall my scope at my expense... I said no thanks

Our ms461 we just purchased at the firehouse in December is under the recall, need to get her in.

Jason

What expense is there to removing and re-installing a scope? Its basically 2-4 screws depending on mounts/bases you have. Rem wanted scopes removed so they are not liable for your scope and any damage the could possibly happen in shipping or in the shop.

I do a lot of home gunsmithing, but my Remington 700 is built to be a 800 yard gun and the scope was lapped and professionally mounted by a renowned gunsmith to maximize accuracy potential.

I even asked if my gunsmith could install Remington recall parts... nope. The trigger recall has to do with the potential for the firearm to dishchage when the safety is disengaged, I am always pointed in a safe direction and truthfully this is a range toy/safe queen. There is also an option to purchase a Timney trigger and the class action lawsuit dictates Remington will reimburse me for this.

Trying to keep this thread directed towards 461 recall. Sorry to original poster.

Jason

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I guess it is possible it could cause a different issue. But really if you aren't comfortable with your dealer removing the carb to check the fuel lines and re-installing you should be looking for a different dealer.
There's one good dealer in these here parts. They turn my chains blue when sharpening. I'm hoping that the chain sharpener kid isn't the one doing the recall check. My 461 is one of my favorite things.

Over the last week I've done lots of these recalls. I have yet to find a damaged fuel hose. I recommend having your saw checked even if it doesn't have a fuel leak NOW. If the hose is compromised, the potential for a future fuel leak is great- the damage to the hose typically doesn't cause a leak, but what will happen over time? Age, ethanol, heat, cold, vibration will all cause wear and damage to that hose and a leak MAY develop. Stihl is trying to correct a problem that IS serious, if not presently so. Do the smart thing and be safe.

That's fast. I thought they needed to remove the Carb. If it only takes 15 minutes, then it is something to be done.

Had mine checked yesterday at dealer in Volo Il. Its a 461R that they ordered in for me. They did the inspection rite in front of me in 15 min. No problem found, great service.

I have seen one 461 with the pinched line. I just replaced it with a new one that I routed correctly. The saw was in for a cracked fuel tank and the customer said it was fine by him.

I just put a Timney in my 700. :innocent:

I took my 461R in today for the recall inspection. They said that they could check it out while I waited. From the time I handed it to the tech, to the time he gave it back, took less than 10 min.

Apparently they don't have to remove the carb to do the inspection. It came back with a clean bill of health. I was sure to get a copy of the recall order / inspection sheet to prove it's been checked.

They took the handle apart and took the carb off right in front of me. Looked over the hose real good and back together even used a little lock tight on the carb nuts. You could tell this Technician had dune a few already.

Latest posts

Back