5 best saws from the 1970's and 80's? whats your pick?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skipster

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I'm interested in hearing what folks consider their 5 favorite saws from the 70's and 80's.
Reliability,durability,collectability and most importantly,performance,are the main criteria,more than brand loyalty,and I'm especially interested in the less common makes like Dolmar etc as well as Stihl and Husky.
I dont know enough about vintage saws to have much input, but I will start with the first 10mm Stihl 044 from 1989(i think?) which to me is my personal pick.
Once i know more,I will add the other 4,but I'm keen to hear others opinions.

Husqvarna 480CD. I've owned one since new, and it still sees use every year cutting firewood for my house and shop. I've had bars on it from 20" to 30" and it never grumbles once. It has a very smooth/broad power curve, and plenty of "grunt" for bucking big wood. The 480CD is often dubbed as heavy and underpowered, but it was a real runner in it's time, very well made, and tough as nails. It was over-shadowed by the 2100 which may have hurt it's popularity some, but they are still very good saws.....IMHO......CliffHusqvarna 480 001.jpg

Sachs-Dolmar KMS4, Sachs 166 & John Deere 66sv would top my wish list

As far as work saws go I'd say the Husqvarna 181, early Stihl 044 and Dolmar 115i would be a good stable of saws that you could have bought in the 80's

McCulloch 10-10/7-10/PM700/800, Husky 266/181/2100, Stihl 028/38/41/56, Pioneer 1100/1200/P41/51/61, Sachs 116/120/133/143, Homelite XL12/925/1050, Poulan 3700/4200, Echo 550/650/750, Jonsered 49/51/70.......they were all good, solid, desirable saws. Some were meant for weekend warriors, some pros. I wouldn't turn up my nose at any of them or their earlier/later counter parts. Many are considered very heavy or slow compared to todays saws, but I'll take heavy and slow if it's reliable and easy to work on.

Poulan was top in our area when I started in the late 70s' (North Florida).

Stihl saws were rare & Husky was unheard of then/ there.

245A first, later a 3400 and one of the first Poulan Pros' not sure the model but late 80s'.

Interesting... and I'm glad there is interest in that era! I think looking back has a lot to do with where your interest is vs. the reality of those saw designs. So for me....

1) The entire Husqvarna/Jonsered 272/670 class of saws. I have a 61/272 blend that has its cases manufactured in 1978. So a Husqvarna 268XP is the first of five for me. Still a very productive saw and quite reliable. They stood the test of time.
2) The Jonsered 820-930 class. Mine second being the Jonsered 930's. This is because I LIKE them, not because they were great.
3) The realistic part of me has to mention the Husqvarna 262
4) For old American saws, the Homelite SXL925 series
5) The McCulloch "ProMac 81" Actually that entire class were pretty awesome.

Then Stihl came out with the 044/046 and 066. Game changers. Then the Husqvarna 372....the reply. Then EPA threw them all a huge curve ball and we have these saws we try to be enthusiastic about today. To me the Stihl MS440/460 and Husqvarna Original Style 372xp are at the top of the stack for great saws of all time.

Poulan was top in our area when I started in the late 70s' (North Florida).

Stihl saws were rare & Husky was unheard of then/ there.

245A first, later a 3400 and one of the first Poulan Pros' not sure the model but late 80s'.

Exactly what I was going to say, poulan 245a and the entire line of countervibe saws, from the 25sva on up.

For Stihl my vote goes for 024, 028, 038, and 048. I do not have a lot of time on other brands other than a husky 154 and I liked that saw so that is my fifth. I would like to find a 154 some day.

Sachs-Dolmar 105/108 - introduced in the 80's , full magnesium case, very sturdy build , one PH with two different handle designs
Sachs-Dolmar KMS-4 - introduced in the mid 70's , features a unique "SACHS Wankel rotary engine" design
Stihl 090/090AV (090G) - introduced in the late 60's , torque monster of a saw
Solo 611 TWIN - introduced in the mid 60's , features a two cylinder engine design
Sachs-Dolmar 166 - introduced in the mid 80's , torque monster of a saw in a small package

These are my picks.
I only own a Sachs-Dolmar 105 & 108 one each. The 105 is a Top Handle design and in my family's (dad) possession since new - it is one heck of a little saw.
All other saws mentioned are just from stuff I read or saw in videos.

Around here in the 70's it was Jonsereds all the way for full time cutters with most homeowners/firewooders having the SXL or 10-10 Macs. No Stihls....very few Huskys....some Lombards

A lot of pulpwood cutters back then...lot of papermills to sell to....huge saws were not needed.....20" bar would be considered long....many more 18" bars run back then....

# 1 would have to go to the Jonsereds 621...the trail breaker of the "modern" chainsaw...

#2 would be the 80.......huge favorite by older guys who grew up on the big heavy oldies so the weight wasn't an issue and cutting speed doubled......I have seen countless 80s without a skrid of paint left on them running perfectly..

#3 is the 70E...another heavyweight with reasonable speed and gobs of torque
...later design... almost modern

#4 52/52E super rugged smaller saws with great handling and dependability ...pro built saw all the way

#5 49SP cheaper version of the 52 series....meant as Semi Pro or farm saw but many got worn out making their happy owners a weeks pay in the woods year after year......mine did....

After Jonsereds failed their cutters with 4XX and 5XX series and all but 1 dealership around here closed most went over to Partners for a few years....early 80's Husky started to make inroads and slowly Stihls started showing up too....so ended the "Glory Days" of the real Jonsereds.....They were king in this area in the 70's.......

The only Jonsered saws most people have seen around here are the ones for sale in TSC. Prior to that, they were pretty much unheard of in this area. Same with Pioneer/Partner, Makita/Dolmar. Just weren't any. Poulan, Homelite and Mac were the big ones and now Stihl and Husky have a good share of the market as the Macs and Homelites are pretty much junk these days. Poulans are better imo but not popular for serious woodcutters. As far as Shindaiwa, I don't think I've ever seen one for sale. Efco, never saw one of those either other than maybe at a GTG. Saw brands are definitely regional.
I'll cut wood with any saw someone hands me but the market has changed tremendously since the 80's.

Great info folks!
Around here,in Victoria,Australia,it was mainly Stihl and McCulloch.
It seems every second saw i stumble over is a chainbrake 08s,so i will add that to my list. All the farmers had them,and some still use them. I know one old bloke in his 80's who has 5 that he bought new,and still uses.
He decided he needed all the attachments,so got one with the drill,one with the concrete saw,an auger,a trimmer,and a normal saw. Great bloke,still working.
So i would add the 08's to my list,as they are ,in our area at least,the most durable and common.

Latest posts

Back