5 best saws from the 1970's and 80's? whats your pick?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The only Jonsered saws most people have seen around here are the ones for sale in TSC. Prior to that, they were pretty much unheard of in this area. Same with Pioneer/Partner, Makita/Dolmar. Just weren't any. Poulan, Homelite and Mac were the big ones and now Stihl and Husky have a good share of the market as the Macs and Homelites are pretty much junk these days. Poulans are better imo but not popular for serious woodcutters. As far as Shindaiwa, I don't think I've ever seen one for sale. Efco, never saw one of those either other than maybe at a GTG. Saw brands are definitely regional.
I'll cut wood with any saw someone hands me but the market has changed tremendously since the 80's.

Yes they do seem pretty regional.........due in part to the dealer network but also to the market......years ago most all the cutters used the same brand (Jonsereds in this case) and when one person has repeating saw problems they all do.... and then someone finds the next best brand an everyone runs those until something else happens on and on...

So in the 80's Husqvarna tried to get the Jonsereds market share back with a similar name (Jonsered) but hardly anyone bought into them, though the 6XX series is a most excellent series especially the latest versions..... names Super II and Champ.........the can had already been tied on the brand by unhappy 4XX and 5XX series owners......you see a few modern Jonsered saws around but sparce.......I keep the old true Jonsereds running around here for a bunch of old guys that still work in the woods in the winter.....you can certainly pick out the tone of a big healthy Jonsereds working a landing compared to a Husky or Stihl all working within earshot.......

Have owned a lot of Pioneers, McCullochs and Homelites. Bought a Pioneer P41 just when it was going out of production and its the best saw I have owned and is still running fine today. Decent power, dead reliable, easy to service and never needs fussy tuning. Second choice would be a Homelite XL922 that is heavy as hell but still running great.

Stihl 028 homelite super xl still have both still cutting firewood husky 61 Jonesereds 670 and still 038 would be my choices

Not counting Stihl and Husqvarna, I would have to say Sachs-Dolmar 120si and Pioneer (P-41, 51, 61 etc). Besides being heavy and a fuel hog, my P-61 doesnt cut like a 30 yr old saw. If so many parts werent becoming NLA I would use my 120si so much more. It runs great, is nimble and not too heavy and easy to work on (another reason I like the 6400-7900 family). Super XL and big Homelites are a given.

Never ran any older Pioneers or Poulans...based on the older side of the spectrum and my limited firsthand experience I'd have to say the Stihl 041av and Jonsereds 621, 52e, 70e are really good saws both today and when they were the latest in saw technology.

Stihl 041 Av and 038Av.
Remember back when dad started in the 80s cutting wood. Poulan and homelites were the top brand among homeowners. Stihl only if you had enough money to afford one. Dad finally broke down and bought his 038 after his poulan gave out then came along his 044 a few yrs later. Both saws are still goin today.

well in Canada and mainly in Ontario and Quebec Homelite XL76 SXL130 ruled the area (updated version of XL101) cheap, powerful, light.
Pioneer Farmsaw (P41)
Husky 61 -gas and go!
Partner 500 -sold alot and they never came back
Stihl 08 -not pretty, not light, not powerful, but would run on anything!

The 041AV? I have a couple of them in bits,wasnt sure if i should rebuild them,so maybe its worth it.
Maybe...good saws but a lot of parts aren't available anymore (the problem we all have keeping these old saws going). Very smooth and torquey. I enjoy running mine once and a while to keep it in good shape even though I never cared for the goofy half wrap ergos.

A lot of pulpwood cutters back then...lot of papermills to sell to....huge saws were not needed.....20" bar would be considered long....many more 18" bars run back then....

Funny you say that. A Great Uncle of mine cut managed land for pulp & paper carried a Stihl 031 w/ 18" bar IIRC.
More that enough to get it done day-in and day-out for years putting food on the table and keeping the lights on.
He had other saws but this did 90% of his work.

Before that, lots of Mac's

Latest posts

Back