5 best saws from the 1970's and 80's? whats your pick?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a few other collectables that are outside the specified time frame:

McCulloch BP-1 1960/61

DSCN0024.JPG

Solo 611 twin 1965

034.JPG

Echo EVL610 1986 horizontal opposed simultaneous firing twin cylinder - only one is mine, the other two belong to Guido Salvage.

DSC06021.JPG

Come to a GTG that I attend and you can run any or all of them.

Mark

I can not be dissuaded by truth.
I need to find a good local guy to do some wrenching for me on a few of these.
I suppose I could learn enough to fix them myself but I am worried a little of the evil knowledge of Huskys will crowd out some of my hard-earned Stihl smarts:)

Would be the other way around and replacing all the screws with T27 screws in those all orange thangs!![emoji12]

Details on that red and silver Stihl hotrod??? Looks like someone finally had Glock37 do clear powder coat!
Sent from my MX2020 Secure Satellite Uplink.

Maybe a dozen different guys were involved in building that saw and it has a number of custom parts in addition to the badass metal flake glossy paint job by Mike :)
It is still waiting on a few bits and pieces and then I will finish the build thread I started about 20 months ago when we started building it :)

I will say it started as a pallet of parts and a binder full of scans and a goofy idea.
Dave

Maybe a dozen different guys were involved in building that saw and it has a number of custom parts in addition to the badass metal flake glossy paint job by Mike :)
It is still waiting on a few bits and pieces and then I will finish the build thread I started about 20 months ago when we started building it :)

I will say it started as a pallet of parts and a binder full of scans and a goofy idea.
Dave

I sent you a PM about a completely different saw project but now I have other ideas too!

I will search for your build thread because that is an amazing machine...

Thanks for your response!

Sent from my MX2020 Secure Satellite Uplink.

I have a few other collectables that are outside the specified time frame:

McCulloch BP-1 1960/61

View attachment 510080

Solo 611 twin 1965

View attachment 510081

Echo EVL610 1986 horizontal opposed simultaneous firing twin cylinder - only one is mine, the other two belong to Guido Salvage.

View attachment 510082

Come to a GTG that I attend and you can run any or all of them.

Mark
You sickos ain't got CAD...you bypassed Go way, way back, collected your $200...and straight to friggin' MAD!! :clap:...damn what a hoard of two-stroke machines.

IMG_3235.JPG

Dave

I know nothing of 076s and care little for Stihls, but I couldn't help reposting your picture of that saw. Holy S#*$. That looks amazing.

I am very fortunate to have many of the saw listed including the Jonsered 621, and a nice 910, any number of 10-10 and variants, the full line up of 82 cc McCulloch except for the CP/DX80, the KMS4, even the Poulan 3400CV, 3700CV, and the 5400. Even though I have a Dolmar 7900 with less than 10 tanks of fuel though it and a 90'2 vintage 036 Magnum, the vintage McCulloch and Poulan saws get called into service more often.

View attachment 510052

View attachment 510053

View attachment 510054

View attachment 510055

View attachment 510059

View attachment 510057

View attachment 510058

My problem is not enough time or wood to cut to really be able to use them all. I would still like to have a P62 and BP655 one day.

Mark

d@&n why cant someone like you be my neighbor. you on one side. @hotshot on the other.

great sleeper looking exhaust

"Sleeper" is a subjective label, so no one calling it sleeper is wrong, but to me twin chrome/stainless exhaust outlet pipes isn't sleeper.

I'd be surprised if anyone else ever refers to any component of that saw as "sleeper".

I am very fortunate to have many of the saw listed including the Jonsered 621, and a nice 910, any number of 10-10 and variants, the full line up of 82 cc McCulloch except for the CP/DX80, the KMS4, even the Poulan 3400CV, 3700CV, and the 5400. Even though I have a Dolmar 7900 with less than 10 tanks of fuel though it and a 90'2 vintage 036 Magnum, the vintage McCulloch and Poulan saws get called into service more often.

View attachment 510052

View attachment 510053

View attachment 510054

View attachment 510055

View attachment 510059

View attachment 510057

View attachment 510058

My problem is not enough time or wood to cut to really be able to use them all. I would still like to have a P62 and BP655 one day.

Mark
Man, I'd love to see your collection someday! You could make money selling tours of your museum!

I am surprised I didn't notice the Stihl 045 mentioned. Around 1978 I worked a short period for loggers and the best my memory we had all 045's and I thought most the other loggers we were around had them also. I heard a couple that used 051's or 075's also. The first firewood dealers I dealt with had a pair of 045's and my experience with the 045 was all positive, 1 vote for the 045. My dad had an xl 12 we used ( my dad and his 3 sons ) for virtually all our firewood and farm clean up with no significant problems so I bought 1 just like it when I started fire wood and I pushed it to its limits and never killed it, saw many others along the way about as durable as saw of as I seen so a vote for the xl 12 series. The 034 came out in the late 80's, and an 034 super was the first 1 of few new saws I bought for my personal use and has served me the best of any saw I owned as well I've seen many others continue for long periods of time and keep going. For as light as their built with plastic they seem to be very durable structurely also , so there is vote # 3. Vote # 4 would be the 041 AV for their durability, reliability and very usable torque. A ton of firewood dealers used them around here. I never used the 044 until later but my 044's have been a close favorite with my 034 s since I bought my first 1 about 6 or so years ago so it gets my vote also.
Lot of other great saws out there I'd like to vote for also and bunches I never had much opportunity with I'm sure deserve votes. I did mean to mention the Sachs Dolmar 105 before I got to 5, tree services around here liked them better then the Stihl top handles and many farmers as well, always heard good about them and eventually got my own.

I'm interested in hearing what folks consider their 5 favorite saws from the 70's and 80's.
Reliability,durability,collectability and most importantly,performance,are the main criteria,more than brand loyalty,and I'm especially interested in the less common makes like Dolmar etc as well as Stihl and Husky.
I dont know enough about vintage saws to have much input, but I will start with the first 10mm Stihl 044 from 1989(i think?) which to me is my personal pick.
Once i know more,I will add the other 4,but I'm keen to hear others opinions.
Husqvarna 162, McCullough Super Pro 125, Stihl 051, Pioneer P42 Western, Husqvarna 2100.

Back