50:1 v 32:1

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pierreg

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Just taking a swat at the hornet's nest here. I don't run 50:1 mix and get nervous with the small lube protection. Color me old fashioned, but I never have had a problem with 32:1.The performance change and higher rpm's in the European saws doesn't seem worth the thin mix. I know the factories say 50:1,but I also see alot of seized and scored engines on Ebay.Not all of those can be straight gas seizures. So I will stick with my Castrol 2cycle 32:1 and Premium gas. Any thoughts on syn. oils? Please go easy on me...Cheerio.

My guess that in addition to straight gasoline seizures, a majority of them are due to too lean of carb setting, and perhaps a number of air leaks. You can thank the EPA for many of them I'm sure.

IMHO, 50:1 is plenty of oil for 99% of applications. I do recommend 40:1 on a ported saw, but I doubt it's really necessary. I just recommend it for insurance. To contradict that though, I actually run 32:1 with Klotz R50. I've been told that it provides greater ring seal and therefore makes more power. But I've also been told that testing has been done on water cooled motorcyles, and 40:1 made the most power, and 32:1 actually caused scoring. I honestly don't know what to believe.

Just taking a swat at the hornet's nest here. I don't run 50:1 mix and get nervous with the small lube protection. Color me old fashioned, but I never have had a problem with 32:1.The performance change and higher rpm's in the European saws doesn't seem worth the thin mix. I know the factories say 50:1,but I also see alot of seized and scored engines on Ebay.Not all of those can be straight gas seizures. So I will stick with my Castrol 2cycle 32:1 and Premium gas. Any thoughts on syn. oils? Please go easy on me...Cheerio.
Straight gas, mixed wrong air leaks will all sieze saws I run all my saws 50-1 have never had an Gas related problem with any of my saws including an 044 with 3000+ hours on it that didfinally need a piston change due to a worn skirt. Saws ran at 50-1 015,019t ms260 032 044,ms460,056super,066 and 372 xpw most guys I know around here locally with high hour saws all run 50-1 but run what ya like. The 032,066 and056 all have well over a thousand hours have good compresion and are strong runners just my 2cents

My guess that in addition to straight gasoline seizures, a majority of them are due to too lean of carb setting, and perhaps a number of air leaks. You can thank the EPA for many of them I'm sure.

IMHO, 50:1 is plenty of oil for 99% of applications. I do recommend 40:1 on a ported saw, but I doubt it's really necessary. I just recommend it for insurance. To contradict that though, I actually run 32:1 with Klotz R50. I've been told that it provides greater ring seal and therefore makes more power. But I've also been told that testing has been done on water cooled motorcyles, and 40:1 made the most power, and 32:1 actually caused scoring. I honestly don't know what to believe.

I wonder it the 32 to 1 is causing scoring because of the lower octane? If gas is 91 octane and is mixed 50 to 1 than the octane of the same gas will be 89.1.
The same gas mixed at 32 to 1 would be 88.1 octane.
I wonder if that drop on octane would make a differance?

50to1 with aircooled 2cycle oil. Thats what we run run at work and we abuse Stihl trimmers,blowers,chainsaws and even some old Lawnboys. No problems at all with the mix. I bet you could even go thinner if you kept an eye on the carb settings.:)

Have been using 50:1 for years and have had no issues with synthetic Mobil 1. For probably 15 years before I switched to synthetic, and when I did not know better, I used Pennzoil outboard oil 50:1 at a 40:1 mix. Those saws still run fine today and have never been apart.

I am a 50:1 believer.first off stihl and husky started running 50:1 before epa mandates so they did their homework. Second, a saw running 32:1 has lots of oil but less fuel to cool it-If more oil is better why don't we all run our saws at 10:1 or on straight oil for that matter!

I run 42:1. 32:1 seems awfull rich. I have a bunch of Amsoil 100:1, I dont run that in my saws, that makes me a little uneasy, I save that for my weed eaters and leaf blowers just to use it up.

i run 50:1 cuz I have 1 gal. cans and the little bottles and honestly can't be bothered to measure anything:cheers:

I run 42:1. 32:1 seems awfull rich. I have a bunch of Amsoil 100:1, I dont run that in my saws, that makes me a little uneasy, I save that for my weed eaters and leaf blowers just to use it up.

If 100to1 is working in you weedeater and blower why wouldnt it work in the saw? Im thinking of getting a wildthing and running it 100to1 with stihl oil and see what happens. :)

Second, a saw running 32:1 has lots of oil but less fuel to cool it-If more oil is better why don't we all run our saws at 10:1 or on straight oil for that matter!

What? I don't mean to hijack this thread, but what do you mean about lots of oil but less fuel to cool?

1 gal gas to 1 bottle of stihl ultra.

What is more important than oil to fuel ratio is the quality of the fuel, the quality of the oil and how the saw is tuned(or any engine for that matter)

50-1 is fine, 40-1 is fine, 32-1 is fine. They go down to 16-1 in karts running aircooled engines.

You have to tune to the mix, put 50-1 in and tune, then put 40-1 in and you have to re tune. Alot of failures arn't due to the mix but the operator and all the factors I've listed and many more others have listed.

Stay away from ethonol in fuel.

Synthetics are fine, some say rings dont seat in as well as dino oil, but my guess would be its no big deal on a normal saw.

I am a 50:1 believer.first off stihl and husky started running 50:1 before epa mandates so they did their homework. Second, a saw running 32:1 has lots of oil but less fuel to cool it-If more oil is better why don't we all run our saws at 10:1 or on straight oil for that matter!

Well if you run 50-1 and tune it correctly, then put 32-1 in it yes you will have a problem..........each ratio has to be tuned accordingly. Tests on an aircooled 2 stroke moto showed best power results at higher oil to fuel ratios than lower, all ratios tested would have been fine to run and get service life out of the engine.

Like i said air cooled karts are running 16-1.

Nothing wrong with 50-1 and nothing wrong with 32-1.....IF,and i repeat IF good quality fuels and oils are used, and tuned properly

Last edited:
32:1 causing scoring is 100% bs!!!!! 40-1 is fine and with good oil you ll have no probs. 32- 1 does make the best ring seal, most good two stroke mechanics will agree . By good mechanics I dont mean all the guys who think they are but the ones that really are!! Run 32-1 and your saw will be well protected and have the most power , And a bunch of people are gonna say less oil like 50-1 or 100-1 amsoil makes more power because there is more gas and not oil , that's a bunch of bs also. Oil does burn , and to get max power you need ring seal. I'm not going to argue I have stated the facts either believe or dont I dont really give a ####!
And yes your saw should be tuned with what ever mix you run, that should not need to be said but always comes up.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back