50:1 vs 40:1

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your google fu is weak. Nobody with half a brain runs 40:1 unless you are running drain oil as your mix oil. More oil does nothing for any stock saw made in the last 40 years except make it run hotter and leaner. Another oil thread by an expert who read something on the internet.

That is an absurd statement. I've already asked this question of my dealer friend, who was a former Homelite engineer/tech, Partner, Pioneer etc... and present Stihl / Husky / Echo dealer, and he states I should use either Stihl, Husky synthetic or "canned" fuel in 40:1 in all saws as he does. This man has the credential and 45 + year old saws to back his claims.

That is an absurd statement. I've already asked this question of my dealer friend, who was a former Homelite engineer/tech, Partner, Pioneer etc... and present Stihl / Husky / Echo dealer, and he states I should use either Stihl, Husky synthetic or "canned" fuel in 40:1 in all saws as he does. This man has the credential and 45 + year old saws to back his claims.

With modern synthetic oils.......anything between 40;1 - 50:1 and your saw will run just fine. Do what feels good to you......choose whatever brand saw makes you feel all warm and fuzzy when you run it......and go cut wood!

Personally, I buy a premium esther based oil (Maxima K2) oil and mix at 50:1 and plan on doing that until something better comes along. It does not upset me if you believe you have something to gain by mixing at 40:1.

I am sure that some better oil will come along in the coming years.....it always does. I remember the days of mixing 30 weight motor oil out of a quart can at 20:1 in a glass cider jug to use in our David Bradley when I was a kid. Then came the Poulan and real 2 cycle oil out of a measured plastic bottle and mixed in a real gas can at 40:1........and now it is Esther based oil mixed at 50:1for my 2 cycle equipment. I am not opposed to change when science has improved the products we use.

Your google fu is weak. Nobody with half a brain runs 40:1 unless you are running drain oil as your mix oil. More oil does nothing for any stock saw made in the last 40 years except make it run hotter and leaner. Another oil thread by an expert who read something on the internet.

Is that why I have so much trouble with my saws burning up running 32:1?:msp_thumbdn:

You gotta be kidding me!

Just run everything at 50:1.

So, you're telling me that 50:1 won't be too lean for the Poulan?

Must be something in the way I type. Every time I write something on here, some hotshot has something to prove. There must be a lot of people out there with only half a brain. I hope we can all someday pair up, make whole brains and praise your knowledgeable input. So, more oil makes the saw run leaner? The more oil I put in, the less there is? If you could just reach behind you and give a quick tug, I think your head is stuck!

I didn't realize that I needed to keep a pot with me every time I log in here. Apparently, this is a forum for pissing contests and I am going to need something to hold it in.

Perhaps I will just look for some other site. Probably all the same as this one though.

~M

The oil's primary purpose is lubrication, not fuel. It's simple really, more oil equals less gas, effectively leaning the mixture. The ratio of air to fuel (gasoline) increases.

Last edited:
I use 50:1 huskqy quick shots they are high quality oil and have fuel stabilizer in them. if you use crappy oil use more but oil has come along way and less is more.

Really pretty simple stuff. Use whatever mix you're comfortable with and make sure you have your saw tuned for that ratio and there shouldn't be any "lean" issue.

I use 50:1 huskqy quick shots they are high quality oil and have fuel stabilizer in them. if you use crappy oil use more but oil has come along way and less is more.

I use Mastercraft 2 Cycle oil. I may be throwing out money, but as it not a top name product, I suspect it is not a top grade product. It is not mentioned anywhere on the container so I add stabilizer to the mix.

~M

More oil increases the viscosity of the fuel and yes it does slightly lean out your mixture. Simple physics.:msp_smile:

It doesn't have anything to do with viscosity. It is true bc the oil is a non-combustible in the mix. It's not a big deal if you are going from 50 to 40:1 unless your saw is already tuned on the edge of lean. As Rooster said, if you tune for the mix you are running you will be ok.

So, you're telling me that 50:1 won't be too lean for the Poulan?

No, your Poulan will be fine at 50:1. Use a good synthetic oil and you will be fine.

Perhaps I will just look for some other site. Probably all the same as this one though.~M

This forum is the worst among the chainsaw forums. It is also the biggest and best if you want general information about saws.

It doesn't have anything to do with viscosity. It is true bc the oil is a non-combustible in the mix. It's not a big deal if you are going from 50 to 40:1 unless your saw is already tuned on the edge of lean. As Rooster said, if you tune for the mix you are running you will be ok.

No, your Poulan will be fine at 50:1. Use a good synthetic oil and you will be fine.

This forum is the worst among the chainsaw forums. It is also the biggest and best if you want general information about saws.

It has everything to do with viscosity and mixture density. Carb jets and mixture can only be metered through jets and passages properly at a certain viscosity. Jetting is calibrated for a specific flow under specific variables. 40:1 is a negligible difference but the principle still stands. 50:1 is an industry standard and has been for years, any mixture richer then that is a waste of oil and a cause for increased carbon deposit and plug fouling. Choosing not to understand this is your choice.

It has everything to do with viscosity and mixture density. Carb jets and mixture can only be metered through jets and passages properly at a certain viscosity. Jetting is calibrated for a specific flow under specific variables. 40:1 is a negligible difference but the principle still stands. 50:1 is an industry standard and has been for years, any mixture richer then that is a waste of oil and a cause for increased carbon deposit and plug fouling. Choosing not to understand this is your choice.

You don't know.

Latest posts

Back