50cc Saw and Chain Shootout

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
gink595

gink595

Addicted to ArboristSite
Wait better make it at least three of each saw.... I hate to be accused of only testing one representation of each saw.... could always have a bad one ya know.

This is true, I've read where motorcycles can vary 5-10 hp within the same model due to machining tolerances.:cheers:

blsnelling
I have a solution. Andy sent me home with a couple really nice consistent sticks of big Ash. I can run this new 026 in one tonight before shipping it out. I can then run this OE 346XP before returning it to my friend. I'm sure I could borrow Andys NE 346XP and Mikes 5100. With his permission I'd mod the muffler first. I would run the same 16" B&C on both 346s and the 5100. The 260 would wear it's own 16" setup since the bar mount is different. I would then switch all saws to 3/8 and then retest. All chain would be fresh off my new CBN wheel with rakers set at .025". All cutting would be videod and the times taken from frame-by-frame video analysis.

Andy and Mike...I need a couple more saws:)

blsnelling
Wait better make it at least three of each saw.... I hate to be accused of only testing one representation of each saw.... could always have a bad one ya know.

Most will never own more than one of any model. So pulling one saw that is a known good runner is good enough to me. I'm not willing to go to the trouble to test more than one of each model.

Fastcast

Fastcast

Addicted to ArboristSite
Folks, it appears you had a good time. Congratulations.

The results are not surprising or all that interesting. The results were also poorly documented and the tests were poorly executed. Get over it.

You had fun and did some comparison runs. Next time leave the beer alone and do some testing if you want to be respected as testers and not a bunch of guys having fun.

I would suspect that the rest of this thread will turn into a buddy match and that does not test saws any better than what you did. I hope no one gets banned for being a dumb a$$ trying defend the un defend-able from the other sides buddies. GET OVER IT.

If you cannot afford to do the testing then do not offer to do it. If you do not have the equipment to do it then do not offer to do it. Just stop calling it testing, comparing, etc..

Call it fun for day followed by drinking and food.

Sounds like a fair assesment to me. No appologies here though:) We had a good time!

No apologies necessary!....I'd rather drink beer and have some great eats too....As compared to testing saws. :givebeer:

:cheers:

PB

Addicted to ArboristSite
I have never seen a wood cutting professional out cutting cookies to see which saw is better. As many have put it, 0.0003 seconds difference doesn't matter in the real world. There are so many variables, wood type, humidity, air temp, filing, etc. it would be next to impossible to say with a definite answer what saw is the fastest. A GTG should be FUN and involve lots of beer and joking around with saws being secondary. We are talking about chainsaws, remember?

Beware the suburban lumberjacks!

Justsaws

Justsaws

Addicted to ArboristSite

You are correct. Multiples of everything including cutters and clockers.

At the end of the day after spending lots of cash and time you would have prov-en that the current production stock saws are with in a nickels worth of giving a d$$$ about. There is no clear cut all around winner especially when MSRP is included as a factor. There are some exceptions but they are fairly obvious non performers.

Good to know that the drinking occurred after.

It is not like the old times when reed was competing against ported. Needle versus' ball, Stroke versus' bore, etc., etc. etc....

Erick

Erick

Addicted to ArboristSite
Most will never own more than one of any model. So pulling one saw that is a known good runner is good enough to me. I'm not willing to go to the trouble to test more than one of each model.

Nahhh, best to have them new in the box with the tape still on or else someone will say that there's the possibility that the saw may have been tampered with. I'm thinking maybe armed guards to guard the test subjects 24-7 until the day of the testing when the boxes will be opened and each saw will then be fueled from the same can and test run... no wait then there gonna say the saws weren’t broke in and that their saw would have won if they were broken in.

Okay new plan... we get all the saws out of the box and will run 5 tanks of fuel through each..... no wait someone is gonna say that their saw doesn't really get broken in until 15 or 20 tanks of fuel.

Okay new plan.... we get all the saws out of the box and will run 5 gallons of fuel through each..... no.... wait someone is gonna say that their saw gets better fuel mileage and that their saw wasn't treated fairly because it was made to cut more wood due to the better fuel consumption.

Okay new plan... awwww screw it I'm happy with the test we did. :cheers:

THALL10326

THALL10326

The Champ
I have never seen a wood cutting professional out cutting cookies to see which saw is better. As many have put it, 0.0003 seconds difference doesn't matter in the real world. There are so many variables, wood type, humidity, air temp, filing, etc. it would be next to impossible to say with a definite answer what saw is the fastest. A GTG should be FUN and involve lots of beer and joking around with saws being secondary. We are talking about chainsaws, remember?

Beware the suburban lumberjacks!

Your kidding right,haha. The need for speed is everything man, well ok maybe a saw is made to saw wood, what a bummer,grrr

mowoodchopper

mowoodchopper

Polar Bear
Folks, it appears you had a good time. Congratulations.

The results are not surprising or all that interesting. The results were also poorly documented and the tests were poorly executed. Get over it.

You had fun and did some comparison runs. Next time leave the beer alone and do some testing if you want to be respected as testers and not a bunch of guys having fun.

I would suspect that the rest of this thread will turn into a buddy match and that does not test saws any better than what you did. I hope no one gets banned for being a dumb a$$ trying defend the un defend-able from the other sides buddies. GET OVER IT.

If you cannot afford to do the testing then do not offer to do it. If you do not have the equipment to do it then do not offer to do it. Just stop calling it testing, comparing, etc..

Call it fun for day followed by drinking and food.

:agree2: And it is easy to get carried away on here thats for sure! All of us do it from time to time ,but in the end were still just a bunch of guys that like to bs about saws. Sometimes I may be a little out of line and the next day it will be somebody else out of line a little , just depends who gets their feathers riled that day!

One thing for sure though, its D*** hard to compare two saws that are that good and say which is better, If it is a new craftsman and the 5100 or the 346 it would be easy, hard when your dealing with the best of the best!

danrclem

danrclem

Addicted to ArboristSite
I'm glad that you guys had a good time. It may not have been a rocket science test but I'm sure that it was fun.

As far as the saws go it just depends on what you want. There isn't one size that fits all. I chose the 346XP because it was a known handler and a fast small saw. When I get to the bigger stuff I'll pull out the 372XP. Somebody else might feel more comfortable with a 5100 and a 7900 and that's great. It just depends on what the individual likes and is comfortable with. Just have fun with what ya got.

THALL10326

THALL10326

The Champ
I'm glad that you guys had a good time. It may not have been a rocket science test but I'm sure that it was fun.

As far as the saws go it just depends on what you want. There isn't one size that fits all. I chose the 346XP because it was a known handler and a fast small saw. When I get to the bigger stuff I'll pull out the 372XP. Somebody else might feel more comfortable with a 5100 and a 7900 and that's great. It just depends on what the individual likes and is comfortable with. Just have fun with what ya got.

Well the thing about the 5100 was that for quite sometime there was no other 50cc from any other maker that could match its performance. I ran out and got one and it is a little powerhouse for sure. Then later on the newer 346xp 50cc version came out and all the sudden the 5100 had some competition. It no longer sat at the top of the class by itself far as performance goes. The two saws cut so close its not worth talking about. They are so even in power they both share the honors now as the top performance 50cc saws. The new 346 did not dethrone the 5100 but merely sat down beside it as a equal in performance.

I think this thread more less points out there are now 2, not 1, 50cc saws putting out extreme performance. The tugging and pulling of opinions depends on who owns which one.

If you own them both like I do its easy to realize there isn't a penny's worth of differance in cutting performance between the two but there is several dollars worth of handling differance between the two. Ease of handlng goes to the 346 hands down. Brand awareness and handling of the 346 is why the 346 fetches a higher price. Dolmar counters by offering a equally high performace saw at a lower price. Both are good buys for the consumer..

Latest posts