50cc Saw questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yamabond is probably the most excellent sealant/gasket maker for this type of application. It is wonderous... worth every penny. I have used so much of that in my bike racing years, it's awesome.

no need to raise the exhaust port with the base gasket delete? What’s the difference with the coil and carb?
Our local Shindaiwa/Echo guru once told me,
The 501SX coil has slightly different timing.
The501SX carb is bigger.
I had a 490 and asked him the same question you are asking.
Now for porting.
If you are capable and have the tools, widening the intake and exhaust ports will make a big difference. Open up the saw and look at the ports. You will see what I mean. Match the intake manifold and muffler.
Also lift the exhaust port height. I went 1.0mm (after the base gasket delete). Which is only 0.5mm higher than stock.
Don't forget to open up the muffler. Our Oz mufflers don't have cats, so it's just a case of letting it flow a bit more. Don't forget to retune the carb.
Mate your 490 will never be a 501SX, but the above mods will make you fall in love again.
I have another Shindaiwa 501SX coming this week. I will be highly modifying it. Can't wait to tear it down

Sent from my SM-A205YN using Tapatalk

I haven't ran a CS-501 to know for sure, but it appears a pretty big jump in power from what I can see on the You Tube videos.

Don't want to come across as saying the CS-490 is a "weak" saw in general, probably just middle of the road for 50cc stuff.

Over the years I've grown quite fond of smaller saws and have owned several dozen of them, Husqvarna 51's, 55's, Echo CS-510, and have worked on and ran several 346XP's and 55XP's. The Husqvarna 55 Rancher models and open port 51's are so-so, but not on par with the closed port versions. The CS-510 is a beast, more or less a sleeping giant in that range of saws. All they need is a very minor muffler mod to wake them up, and of course removing the limiter caps and giving them the fuel they need as well.

These days since 90 percent of what we cut here are tops left over from logging operations my two CP 55's and CS-510 get a LOT of use. Light, fast, fuel efficient and preferred till I start bucking up bigger logs, then I reach for the CS-620PW, CS-600 or my CS-590.

I've all but retired my other Husqvarna's, although on occasion I'll get out the 268XPS or grab my brothers 372XP. It's like shooting 44 magnum after shooting 38 specials all day long!........Cliff
Love the CS510.
Great saw

You could always piston port it with a file too. A little off the top of the piston on the exhaust side and a hair off the skirt on the intake.

Our local Shindaiwa/Echo guru once told me,
The 501SX coil has slightly different timing.
The501SX carb is bigger.
I had a 490 and asked him the same question you are asking.
Now for porting.
If you are capable and have the tools, widening the intake and exhaust ports will make a big difference. Open up the saw and look at the ports. You will see what I mean. Match the intake manifold and muffler.
Also lift the exhaust port height. I went 1.0mm (after the base gasket delete). Which is only 0.5mm higher than stock.
Don't forget to open up the muffler. Our Oz mufflers don't have cats, so it's just a case of letting it flow a bit more. Don't forget to retune the carb.
Mate your 490 will never be a 501SX, but the above mods will make you fall in love again.
I have another Shindaiwa 501SX coming this week. I will be highly modifying it. Can't wait to tear it down

I’ve never ported a cylinder, and don’t really want to attempt it without practice. I do think I’ll do the base gasket delete and swap the carb / coil, which I’ve tracked down OEM parts for. With how cheap 490s are new it seems like it would be more budget friendly to mod it, then to sell it and buy something new.

I’ve never ported a cylinder, and don’t really want to attempt it without practice. I do think I’ll do the base gasket delete and swap the carb / coil, which I’ve tracked down OEM parts for. With how cheap 490s are new it seems like it would be more budget friendly to mod it, then to sell it and buy something new.
Don't forget to open up the muffler too mate.
You will love your 490 again!

If you do a search on the Forbidden site, Outdoor Power Equipment, there is a porting thread.

They are a lot of work to port. Pretty darn good saw ported, but no one will ever purchase it for you if you decide to send it down the road.

I really liked mine and there is a video of someone using a stocker vs the one I ported somewhere.

@Red97 is the man for echo porting.

@Squatch Any details you can offer on the replacement coil and carb? Part numbers? source?
TIA

Well, I ordered the coil and carb. Also removed the base gasket this morning.
One thing I have to say about this saw is how easy it is to work on! I’ve replaced top ends on a Stihl 66, and 26, and the design of this echo is really well thought out. I’m impressed.

the 5105 is about 4oz heavier than a 346 and about the same weight as the new 550xp, jftr. It's bulky (with easy start), not heavy.

not the best limber, but a helluva bucker/faller

the 5105 is about 4oz heavier than a 346 and about the same weight as the new 550xp, jftr. It's bulky (with easy start), not heavy.

not the best limber, but a helluva bucker/faller

If you put the old version starter/flywheel cover on it without the spring assist it's not bulky at all, nice and tidy;
RIMG0053.JPGRIMG0056.JPGRIMG0012.JPGRIMG0053.JPG

Back