5100 -- Compresion Release or Not

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree you dont need De-comp.......Just put on a rescue handle instead to take up the kickback.........

:ices_rofl: 460 rescue handles is for cold start racing. :D got them on the 084,066,7900,5000 and 357 whenever it is cold start raced.:ices_rofl:
The side benefit is that the D-ring handles do absorb the kick back from all the saws better then the elastostart handles imho, even the rescue handle on the poulan 3300 helps with kick backs.
I dont think a decomp has anything to do with stopping kick backs on any saw, just makes it easier to pull during start,imo.
But who really cares, thats why we have choices, buy what you like and run it.

Plus I do like the 460 rescue handles better on all my saws that have them...........

Last edited:
I've never come across a saw that I needed a compression release on. Sometimes I will use it if it has it but no need for it..............modded or not!!!

My 5100 is modded and pulls around 195 # of compression...........no need there either!!!

Are you using rescue handles, though?

Do those high compression numbers hurt your hand?

Just curious!

I've never come across a saw that I needed a compression release on. Sometimes I will use it if it has it but no need for it..............modded or not!!!

My 5100 is modded and pulls around 195 # of compression...........no need there either!!!

Are you using rescue handles, though?

Do those high compression numbers hurt your hand?

Just curious!

No not at all.
No rescue handle.

At 6'3" 230# I don't need it.

However there is a little trick to starting these: pull the saw over slowly until you just past TDC ( compression) then pull..............you kinda get a headstart before you reach the next compression stroke!!!

No not at all.
No rescue handle.

At 6'3" 230# I don't need it.

However there is a little trick to starting these: pull the saw over slowly until you just past TDC ( compression) then pull..............you kinda get a headstart before you reach the next compression stroke!!!

Thats how I start the bucking basterd saw......My Jred 801 kills the hand...

my old poulan is the same was made wayy before decomp was invented and if she is being warm started and I don't pop her around past the compression she will rip your hand wrist and shoulder out for ya.

Thats how I start the bucking basterd saw......My Jred 801 kills the hand...

You shoulda seen me cranking on the RB066 when I first got it. I cranked on that thing for a week before I found that I was trying to start it on half choke.:blush:

I was so relieved when it finally burped, then turned over. IT'S ALIVE!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back