543xp vs 241cm Help!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To me the 241 looks bulkier than the 550, except the 550 is longer. The 241 is a bit "fat" for is engine size, as is the Dolmar 420/421.

Sorry Nikko, you're wrong. I don't care to argue, just trying to clarify for anyone reading. I would hope you would be more open minded, knowing that you haven't used either saw.

tmp_2599-received_13075416559299991546471366.jpeg tmp_2599-received_1307541622596669-2066763484.jpeg Boy O boy, this thing really is quite a runner! I didn't get much play time but I'm happy with my decision. I'll get it broke in this weekend. Weather supposed to very nice!

21 oz is a very significant difference.

40-L.jpg

41-L.jpg

View attachment 485575 View attachment 485576 Boy O boy, this thing really is quite a runner! I didn't get much play time but I'm happy with my decision. I'll get it broke in this weekend. Weather supposed to very nice!

I pulled the spark screen in mine. I never made any timed cuts, but seemed to add some zip to it, without much noise increase. After a few tanks it definitely felt like it was loosening up.

Me too, I pulled the screen before I even cranked it up. Other than that I only mixed the fuel a little stronger for the first tank. Like 40:1 , ill go back to 50:1 after this tank

Sometimes I prefer to use a 40cc saw over a 50cc saw, l put 4 tanks through my 550xp today and they really are impressive in stock form but I was cutting 10"-14" ozzie dead hardwood. Sometimes in smaller/softer wood a 241cm is a better choice and will get more work done easier. The 241cm is awesome on fuel and very well built, the 550 is top dog in 50cc class, the 241cm is top dog in 40cc. Not two saws I wouod compare against each other as they are different and both good for their intended purpose.

Different cutting attachments makes the comparison meaningless to everyone but the owner of those two saws - but it serves to illustrate that the cutting attachments (mainly the bar) makes a big differense.
I understand and generally like empty PHO weights. However, that's not what really matters. Both of these saws are outfitted as they would be for typical use. BTW, both are wearing a 16" bar, so the comparison is very direct. Nearly a 2# difference is HUGE. There's no denying that.

I understand and generally like empty PHO weights. However, that's not what really matters. Both of these saws are outfitted as they would be for typical use. BTW, both are wearing a 16" bar, so the comparison is very direct. Nearly a 2# difference is HUGE. There's no denying that.

As I already said, you can run a Picco set-up on the 550 as well if you want to, and considerably reduce that weight difference. There also are other (.325) set-ups that is much lighter than the one on that 550.

Btw, 21 oz isn't anywhere near 2 lbs, and the PHO difference should be about halv a pound.

Brad show us 241 PHO dry weight so we all will know. Maybe the yippie little dog will quit yipping then ;).

Some of have been known to put the same picco set ups on the 50cc saws. So the bar chain weights would be the same.

woods ported 026 with 12" picco bar.

s026picco 004.JPG

Forget it Brad, it is the typical stupid argumentation repeated here so often that only one person believes it...

Well as far as I know its the old wood boss logo. I'm not sure what saws they used to put them on.

Btw, 21 oz isn't anywhere near 2 lbs, and the PHO difference should be about halv a pound.
My bad. I had a brain cramp. I was thinking 24oz, but it's 32oz. Never the less, nearly 1 1/2 pounds is a huge difference in a small 40-50cc saw. The difference in B&C weights isn't going to begin to make up that difference.

Latest posts

Back