543xp vs 241cm Help!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My bad. I had a brain cramp. I was thinking 24oz, but it's 32oz. Never the less, nearly 1 1/2 pounds is a huge difference in a small 40-50cc saw. The difference in B&C weights isn't going to begin to make up that difference.

If you just weight the empty powerheads, you eliminate the variables.

I'm impressed by the MS241's versatility. Mine is ported. I got it for clearing brush but have been using it at the woodpile occasionally & it seems the 346, 262 & 562XP stay in the garage a little more often. I don't normally use the 241 for this size wood but this was the next log in the pile & it was the saw I had with me this afternoon. It's a snappy little saw & didn't have any trouble handling it. I really like the PS63 chain.

image.jpeg

I'm impressed by the MS241's versatility. Mine is ported. I got it for clearing brush but have been using it at the woodpile occasionally & it seems the 346, 262 & 562XP stay in the garage a little more often. I don't normally use the 241 for this size wood but this was the next log in the pile & it was the saw I had with me this afternoon. It's a snappy little saw & didn't have any trouble handling it. I really like the PS63 chain.

View attachment 486098

Those appear to be about the same size logs i work with mine , 241s are awesome saws its just a shame they are so damn expensive.

21 oz is a very significant difference.

40-L.jpg

41-L.jpg
I thought the wanted comparison was to a 545 or 550xp in weight? The 550xp PHO was measured at 10.95ish....10.83ish on the 545.

Pro94lt and FL_Cutter: Any updates to this thread?

I am making the same choice this week. Either 543xp (which does not have Autotune and as shown in Pro94lt's picture is smaller and about the same weight) or the MS241 C-M (which has the M-Tronic carb which scares me).

Anybody change the chain on the 543xp as suggested by Pro94lt and can report the performance change if any?

The stihl gets the nod for me due to the mtronic and spring A/V smoothness. I'd say get a German dolmar 421 but their now made in China!!! I'll gladly pay the extra for the stihl over the makita.

FWIW: Recently I've seen the 261 priced equal to the 241 in case you'd like to get a substantial power upgrade for a mild weight increase.

Even if I skipped the 40-45cc class of saws, I may come back and add one in future. I don't regret getting the the lighter MS201C-M, paired with a HVA550XPG/CS2253WH, the latter with heated handles. Our MS201 works well with the chains Oregon 91VXL044 & 91VXL050, using the 12" & 14" lightweight bars. Neither the M-Tronic, nor the AutoTune has disappointed us.

I would rather use the new Husqvarna SP33G PIXEL .325" 1.3mm chain on either the Stihl MS241C-M VW or the Husqvarna 543XPG.

I bought a 261 back in February, now I've used it for a bunch of other things, but last week used it for a hard week straight doing tornado clean up in Texas. Doing a lot of bore cuts, with a fair amount of limbing/bucking and the saw hasn't let me down yet (and the bar I have, a 20 inch bar from weedeaterman, is absolutely amazing, got it pinched a couple times that I KNOW would have bent a Stihl bar and not a scratch) The manual tune version was less expensive from my dealer than the M-Tronic. I was happily impressed with how much it outclassed (like I expected it to) all the 251s that were being used/provided by the group I volunteer with.

So I like the 261

Just make sure you get the updated version which has more power and is lighter. The easiest way to tell the difference is the way the Sprocket covers look. The newer version has a black top, and an extra slant next to the bar nuts (making it less bulky/square-ish than the old version)

I bought a 261 back in February... So I like the 261

Just make sure you get the updated version which has more power and is lighter. The easiest way to tell the difference is the way the Sprocket covers look. The newer version has a black top, and an extra slant next to the bar nuts (making it less bulky/square-ish than the old version)

Michaelmj11: Thanks for posting your experience. Did you buy the MS261 (non-M-Tronic) or the MS261 C-M (M-Tronic)? It seems kind of like an admission that there could be problems with the M-Tronic that there is

Stihl only sells the M-Tronic version of the 241 (MS241 C-M)

Do you know if there is an updated version in the MS241 C-M as well?

Michaelmj11: Thanks for posting your experience. Did you buy the MS261 (non-M-Tronic) or the MS261 C-M (M-Tronic)? That Stihl makes two versions of the same saw, could be an admission by Stihl that there can be problems with the M-Tronic. Or it just could be a marketing recognition that there are old schoolers up there looking to buy a lighter saw (like me) who are afraid of new technology... But it is kinda important for me to know which it is!

The 261 I have is manual tune (the less expensive option), but the 661 I have is M-Tronic. As far as their running is concerned, I can not tell a difference.

I don't regret getting the the lighter MS201C-M ... Our MS201 works well with the chains Oregon 91VXL044 & 91VXL050, using the 12" & 14" lightweight bars. Neither the M-Tronic, nor the AutoTune has disappointed us.

traktorz: Does the rear-handled MS201 C-EM have the plastic crankcase? (I assume, but don't really know that the 201T has a magnesium crankcase.)

Since I am actually thinking of buying a rear handled version of a top handled tree saw for occasional in-tree use, I guess I should actually consider the MS201 C-EM, but I don't want a plastic crankcase, because I have been known to drop stuff.

Michaelmj11: Thanks for posting your experience. Did you buy the MS261 (non-M-Tronic) or the MS261 C-M (M-Tronic)? It seems kind of like an admission that there could be problems with the M-Tronic that there is

Just to throw this out there you CAN get a ms261 in the new lighter version with a manual carb...

Mtronic has no "problems" It works amazingly good...

Ok then. How do I shop for a dealer who is knowledgeable about M-Tronics? That has the appropriate software for M-Tronics and has the technicians who know how to use it? And since I actually own the software to diagnose and work on my vehicles, I may as well ask if the M-Tronic software is available for me to purchase?

I am interested in the MS241 C-M (not the MS261) but I notice that the MS261 C-MQ comes with "Q" as an option. Any one have a saw with Q? Does it affect the saw's performance in any good or bad ways?

"STIHL QuickStop Super (Q)
The additional braking system for extra safety – exclusive to STIHL. The saw chain stops whenever there is a sufficiently strong kickback, the front hand guard is activated, or the user lets go of the rear handle. The saw chain is stopped within seconds, protecting the user."

Latest posts

Back