550XP 1st look!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Veeeeery interested in that 550xp. I've been really pondering a 346 or 555 and am leaning heavily towards the 346 based on wieght and price. I already have a 361 that will soon have a muff mod so a nimble saw is what I'm after. I do like my 350 but if I could have that size with more power :)
Whats with all the new huskies? Did the Stihl r&d department blow up?!

Veeeeery interested in that 550xp. I've been really pondering a 346 or 555 and am leaning heavily towards the 346 based on wieght and price. I already have a 361 that will soon have a muff mod so a nimble saw is what I'm after. I do like my 350 but if I could have that size with more power :)

Others might flame me, but there seem to be different behavioral trends with the R&D departments of Stihl and Husky.

If you look at it, Stihl generally lets models run a lot longer, and lets the EPA deadline serve as the sort of push and impetus for the redesigns. At least for what I have seen.

If you look at the husky line for example, lots of the 3xx saws were introduced in the 90s, replacing the 2xx saws, though more of stihl saws remained unchanged, and just got multipled by 10 to form their model numbers 025 to MS 250.

In recent years, it seemed the one saw that had been reworked in the standard rear handle line prior to the EPA switch from Stihl was the 036/ MS 360 going to the 361. That was it. Everything was postponed until the impending shift to strato saws.

Stihl has a slower, more metered approach to their upgrades, whereas husqvarna appears to be more aggressive in their redesigns. In some cases they are on their first redesign of strato saws, following from the first generation. Stihl has had apparently fewer flubs with their strato saws; however.

I think so long as Stihl does not encounter sales losses due to their designs being older they will not be moved to do otherwise. Saws are not like cars and people don't want a new model every 3-4 years.

I see no reason to "flame" you Mike - that post was pretty close to what I have observed, and Stihl is still putting out new first generation strato models.....:msp_smile:

I see no reason to "flame" you Mike - that post was pretty close to what I have observed, and Stihl is still putting out new first generation strato models.....:msp_smile:

Arguably with the exception of the 576, which wasn't so much a redesign but rather more of a cleanup, these husky replacements are also first generation. Unless we impose an amount of time rather than actual series of replacements as the standard for generation.

In the scheme of things, I'm not quite sure some of the weight gain matters as much as we think and plenty of ppl are happy w 261, 362s etc

Arguably with the exception of the 576, which wasn't so much a redesign but rather more of a cleanup, these husky replacements are also first generation. Unless we impose an amount of time rather than actual series of replacements as the standard for generation.

In the scheme of things, I'm not quite sure some of the weight gain matters as much as we think and plenty of ppl are happy w 261, 362s etc

Well, what I concider second generation strato saws are the 560-series and 550-series saws, and I am sure that more will come! :smile2:

The weight of the 543 is appealing to me also, but so is the 550. It appears to come with 346NE power while maintaining 346OE weight. I'll take it. The 543 has a few styling cues that I don't care for - and not just in an aesthetic way. The 550/562 line looks low and sleek while the 543 appears to have an old school looking case, sitting fairly tall. The fuel/oil plugs are pretty bulky - which isn't a bad thing I guess when you're wearing gloves but they look 80's elux vintage. The top cover is tall, etc. It just doesn't look the part of the latest and greatest.

On the other hand - ~3hp and 9.9lbs - Now that I like :msp_biggrin:

2.8 kw = 3.7hp Looks like it should smoke a 346NE......Now We're Logging (or should I say limbing!) :msp_smile:

2.8 kw = 3.7hp Looks like it should smoke a 346NE......Now We're Logging (or should I say limbing!) :msp_smile:

That's the same as a 346NE, but this will be a strato and have AutoTune, and probably RevBoost :D So yes, should smoke the 346NE :rock:

The R&D is fine, the marketing department is keeping a great 42cc saw from us. The MS241C-M has been available over seas for a while now. Weight difference is the usual, Stihl is a few ounces more (7oz on paper.) The problem is if you want one it is about $800 to your door step. Mine will be here soon, it's at US customs now.

I now estimated arrival dates are almost useless (ex. 562) and it may have already been posted, but does anyone have any info on this saw?

I also agree with brad that the 550 is going to be added to my collection . Now it is the waiting for it to be released in the united states that i hate. It will give me time to sell my ms260.:clap:

I now estimated arrival dates are almost useless (ex. 562) and it may have already been posted, but does anyone have any info on this saw?

"Fall 2012" Same for the 545 and 543XP.

The fact that the IPL's for the 545/550XP have been up for a while now is actually a good sign, so we might actually see them near the predicted date. But until my fed-ex girl actually shows up with them..............:rolleyes2:

(I also have T540's on order that MIGHT be hear by early Feb.)

Latest posts

Back