550XP 1st look!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Spike the 550xp is the auto tune version correct? Do you know how much it weighs? I am wanting a 50cc limbing saw with a better air filter than the ms260 has. plus a smoother running saw with better spring handle set up. thanks

Both the 550 and 545 will be auto-tune, along with the smaller 543XP. By this time next year even the 455/460 Ranchers will be auto-tune, so that's the way of the future.

BTW, they have different coils listed for the 545 and 550, so it's possible that the 550 will have rev-boost. :biggrin:

BTW, they have different coils listed for the 545 and 550, so it's possible that the 550 will have rev-boost. :biggrin:

Maybe fodder for another thread

spike60,

Can you explain exactly what rev-boost is and it's intended purpose? I've done a couple searches and asked 2 dealers, other than bring the greatest thing since sliced bread, I really don't understand it.

Never claimed I was overly bright.

Take Care

Spike the 550xp is the auto tune version correct? Do you know how much it weighs? I am wanting a 50cc limbing saw with a better air filter than the ms260 has. plus a smoother running saw with better spring handle set up. thanks
The 346xp is exactly what you're asking for here, man.

With two 346xps' myself, I'm not holding my breath waiting on the new 550xp. :msp_smile:

I've sold a couple of the 346 Trio's. One guy was a 25 year climber who thought it was a great idea. The other one was sold to a guy who's wife insisted he get the safest saw in the store. And if you saw the guy, you'd agree with her!

:laugh::laugh:

Maybe fodder for another thread

spike60,

Can you explain exactly what rev-boost is and it's intended purpose? I've done a couple searches and asked 2 dealers, other than bring the greatest thing since sliced bread, I really don't understand it.

Never claimed I was overly bright.

Take Care

The way I understand it, revboost allows for a short interval, maybe 2 seconds, of additional RPMs while limbing. I think we're talking another 2000 RPM's. I don't think it actually affects the acceleration, it just gives you a little extra top end.

They're doing some interesting things with the coils, which are now digital, rather than analogue. Even the newest 372/365 XT's have switched to a digital coil and a corresponding re-calibrated carb. According to the service bulletin, "A digital ignition system makes it possible to adapt the ignition curve for each RPM range." Sounds like auto-tune on the cheap, huh? I'm not sure how this actually will affect the performance and how much us saw geeks will notice it, but I'm going to swap the new carb and coil into my 372XT and see what happens.

The way I understand it, revboost allows for a short interval, maybe 2 seconds, of additional RPMs while limbing. I think we're talking another 2000 RPM's. I don't think it actually affects the acceleration, it just gives you a little extra top end. ..... .

The Norwegian Husky site state it improves accelleration as well, but I don't really know what is true....:msp_unsure:

I don't 'bout the resta y'all, but my IPL is for a 555XP, and no 550XP...... :givebeer:
Guess the minimum wage highschool kids are behind the keyboards on that one. They added a bunch more saws to my IPL list which is sweet, except for the fact that a few of them don't exist as they got the numbers wrong, and it's a guessing game as to what saw you're actually looking at. :bang:

The 346xp is exactly what you're asking for here, man.

With two 346xps' myself, I'm not holding my breath waiting on the new 550xp. :msp_smile:

Thanks sunfish. I agree with ya on the 346xp. I am really likeing the auto tune idea . I wouldnt buy the 550 until it is proven reliable in the field.

The way I understand it, revboost allows for a short interval, maybe 2 seconds, of additional RPMs while limbing. I think we're talking another 2000 RPM's. I don't think it actually affects the acceleration, it just gives you a little extra top end.

How does this work in practice? Does the user have to hit an extra button? Pull the trigger in farther? How does it know when to "allow" extra RPMs for 2 seconds?

How does this work in practice? Does the user have to hit an extra button? Pull the trigger in farther? How does it know when to "allow" extra RPMs for 2 seconds?

One possibility would be a shot of extra air, like a controlled air leak. Just guessing though

I understand , it's done with the new digital coil. I could have miss read though.

None of that - it is in the new digital coil, as I understand it, and happens when you fully depress the throttle - as you always should do before hitting the wood.

Variable ignition curve?

They're doing some interesting things with the coils, which are now digital, rather than analogue. Even the newest 372/365 XT's have switched to a digital coil and a corresponding re-calibrated carb. According to the service bulletin, "A digital ignition system makes it possible to adapt the ignition curve for each RPM range." Sounds like auto-tune on the cheap, huh? I'm not sure how this actually will affect the performance and how much us saw geeks will notice it, but I'm going to swap the new carb and coil into my 372XT and see what happens.

If thets true it's byebye static ignition! Of course it will give you better torque. Maybe it's over with blue wrists due to high timing on starting. It will never be ideal with static ignition timing. It's allways a compromise. Looks like a big leap in performance and saw engine developement. The only thing time have to show is realibility with all this new pretty advanced electronics. (Think that kind of a SAWTROLL quote:msp_biggrin:)

Motorsen

I think rev boost is a gimmick that will lead to lots of problems as the saw ages, for a guy that uses 6 tanks of fuel in a month/year it will be fine. For the worker that uses 20-30 tanks of fuel /week it will be interesting to see how this holds up. I have nothing against guys that cut cookies on weekends but it is hardly a determining factor in how good or bad a saws quality is. The 357 when used on weekends or for 3-5 cords of firewood/year did not yield the problems (carb and breaking crank cases) of a saw used daily in the way mentioned above. Please don't get offended if you love Husqvarna, I am sure Stihl has some wowee features as well. I prefer saws to be controlled by me the user, I like to set my own Hi and Low screws and rev the saw as I see fit.

I think rev boost is a gimmick that will lead to lots of problems as the saw ages, for a guy that uses 6 tanks of fuel in a month/year it will be fine. For the worker that uses 20-30 tanks of fuel /week it will be interesting to see how this holds up. I have nothing against guys that cut cookies on weekends but it is hardly a determining factor in how good or bad a saws quality is. The 357 when used on weekends or for 3-5 cords of firewood/year did not yield the problems (carb and breaking crank cases) of a saw used daily in the way mentioned above. Please don't get offended if you love Husqvarna, I am sure Stihl has some wowee features as well. I prefer saws to be controlled by me the user, I like to set my own Hi and Low screws and rev the saw as I see fit.

I have a hard time imagining why it would be a problem - your post is just a shot in the dark, as I see it! :givebeer:

Back