550XP 1st look!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I applaud Husky on keeping a focus on the weight/power ratio, but in real world ever day use, I don't see Rev Boost being a big deal, either the saws got enough juice or it doesn't. The need for it being "beneficial" while limbing doesn't hold water with me either. I do a lot of my limbing at well below wot, no need to wind them up /burn the fuel when knocking off limbs less than a couple of inches. It is a nice marketing tool.
if a saw is already running at optimal rpm, say a 346xp turning 13,8-14k, the only way your going to kick it up to 16k for 20 seconds immediately is to create a momentary lean condition, maybe there is another way, I'm far from a mechanical engineer, but someone needs to start a post on how it really does work. I'm hoping these saws are winners, the 543? really intrigues me. The 555 after looking at it's specs really doesn't improve much at all on the Efco 156 saws, the only improvement is a little weight, and I suspect the extra weight in the 156 is a result of a more substantial casing around their filter set ups.
It is going to be interesting to see how these hold up in the real world. Even when compared against there own, 359/357 the saws had to lose weight from somewhere, I'll hold judgement until I get one in my grubby little mits. Has anyone noticed Baileys has the wrong photos linked to the 555/562 they have then switched and I believe they have the same specs posted for at least a couple of the models, they are specing both at 4.2hp. Dealers need to be thankful they got these saws off the drawing board before the big stock decline happened, that could have impacted rollout/investments in tooling etc. I've really got to get out and find a decent Husky dealer, stopped in the local dealer this afternoon and the guy had never heard of the 555/562, they are an equally bad Stihl dealer as well, they don't discriminate.lol

Well Indian, those saws was tested for a long time, before they released them - so I am not really worried at all, but new is new.....:msp_smile:

Ignition coil rules???

My theory on the "revboost" and it is pure speculation but could very well be right????:confused:
The coil is limited to lets say 12500 rpms/min under continious load. When the trigger is released or is released after full load in xx amount of seks the computer resets and allows the coil to give 2 seks of 14500 rpms/min. There after it limits the rpms to 12500 again until the trigger is released. So a constant A/F ratio but boosted by a higher limit for a couple of seks. Gives more sense to me anyway.
But I tend do give Indiansprings right. This looks also from my perspective more or less a unusefull gimic or brag factor.
The decider for me will for sure be weight and handling. Not the revboost. Looking forward to try one of these new saws. But the new layout seems promising and a bit out of the box thinking in terms of handling which is the most important factor in this class.

Motorsen

If thets true it's byebye static ignition! Of course it will give you better torque. Maybe it's over with blue wrists due to high timing on starting. It will never be ideal with static ignition timing. It's allways a compromise. Looks like a big leap in performance and saw engine developement. The only thing time have to show is realibility with all this new pretty advanced electronics. (Think that kind of a SAWTROLL quote:msp_biggrin:)

Motorsen

If this new digital coil does in fact advance timing as RPM increases this could be a very good thing. And could also explain the higher power to weight ratio.

The rev-boost is also reported to improve trigger responce on the Norwegian web site, and it feels like it does on my 560xpg

Saw Troll, they also QC'd and some poor inspector put his name on the 562's right, it's cost how many hundred thousand in lost profit. :msp_ohmy: No, I really like the reviews the 555's are getting, which is no surprise as they are no t really that far off from the 156 efco, which I've always stated is one of the most underrated saws out there, especially when they could be picked up for 299.97 delivered to your door. The 555 will surpass it in air filteration and although I've never had a issue with the throttle linkage on the 156, I think it could be, I sure the 555 is superior vs the 156 in that area as well.
In all seriousness where do you guys that have them think they got the weight savings? Sure they got a little on the magnesium alloy rotating assembly, but I'm sure that didn't save all that much, the plastic vs metal oil pump can't be much (I'm not afraid of a plastic oil pump as long as it is protected adequately). I like to buy at least one new saw a year, I tell the wife it is for tax purposes, but really it is just cad,
I'd like to try one of these new Huskies, on paper they look great. If my sons or I where the only one that would be running it I would have no reservations at all, we take care of our saws, the 346xp has even survived over a year:biggrin: but when you have guys sometimes are guilty of yanking around on a saw when pinched like they were as strong as crowbars, I want to make sure they'll take it. I am not really worried about the mechanicals, but more the case/handle etc, do you guys find that they are as robust as the models they replaced like the 359 (another highly under appreciated saw) and 357?

I don't really understand what weight savings you are referring to, but the powerhead of the 560 etc surely is smaller and more compact than on other 60cc saws.

Indian go on and get a 555 to try out. It's a beer heavier than a 346 with a lot more torque. It seems happy with a 20" 3/8" full comp.

If thets true it's byebye static ignition! Of course it will give you better torque. Maybe it's over with blue wrists due to high timing on starting. It will never be ideal with static ignition timing. It's allways a compromise. Looks like a big leap in performance and saw engine developement. The only thing time have to show is realibility with all this new pretty advanced electronics. (Think that kind of a SAWTROLL quote:msp_biggrin:)

Motorsen

Many saws have had coils that have "non static" ingition for years.

I thought I've read the true weight of the 357 was always closer to 13.7 lbs, vs the claimed 12.1. I may be mistaken, I thought the 562/555 was shaving about a pound and a half off the current model (357/359) coming in at 12.1. With the strato designs typically weighing more, I was just wondering were they saved the weight.

I thought I've read the true weight of the 357 was always closer to 13.7 lbs, vs the claimed 12.1. I may be mistaken, I thought the 562/555 was shaving about a pound and a half off the current model (357/359) coming in at 12.1. With the strato designs typically weighing more, I was just wondering were they saved the weight.

I've read several times the 359/357 weight 12.9, or just under 13 lbs.

The 555/560 is just under 12 lb and the 562 is 12.1, I believe.

The way I understand it, the power head of these new models is just all together smaller.

Well I put the 555 on a scale with the 20" oregon power match bar full of fluids and it weighed 18lb even. I don't remember what a 346 weighs loaded like that so There's something to think about. A 660 wtih a 32" rw bar full of fluids was 25 lb. With a 30" cannon it was 26.5lb.

Well I put the 555 on a scale with the 20" oregon power match bar full of fluids and it weighed 18lb even. I don't remember what a 346 weighs loaded like that so There's something to think about. A 660 wtih a 32" rw bar full of fluids was 25 lb. With a 30" cannon it was 26.5lb.

Mike, I weighted my old 346xp w/bar and fluids a while back and it was 14.5 lbs. Now this is with a very light 16" bar and bathroom scales.

Yeah it was on a bathroom scale also. The shipping scale I had broke so I couldn't use it. It's a replaceable sprocket nose so I guess a laminated with just a sprocket would have been much lighter but it was the only 20" they had.

I didn't have a choice unless I wanted to wait a week on a bar so I got that one. I wish they did make a techlite for that mount. It would make it feel like a 16" with a 20". That's my main complaint with the small mount/large mount debate. I may be getting a 24" for it this coming week and see how that does. It has no problems with anything with this 20" so I'm wondering if it'll pull the 24".

Last edited:
This size saw is a featherweight to me anyway so a 20" bar like that is still light.

Latest posts

Back