572xp or MS500i

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My dealer just got 3 in this week.

Ace Hardware
6571 Gracely Dr
Cincinnati, OH 45233
Phone: (513) 941-2520
Fax: (513) 941-4489
Email: [email protected]
Mon - Fri 8:00 am - 6:00 pm
Sat 8:00 am - 5:00 pm
Sun 10:00 am - 4:00 pm
Local guys telling me they cannot get anything. Ace Hardware is fixing to be a Stihl dealer 25 yards away from the local lawn mover guy Stihl dealer and the John Deere dealer 2 miles north is also a Stihl Dealer. Big R/ Stock and Field supposedly lost their Stihl franchise 2 months ago. All quite confusing!!!

Local guys telling me they cannot get anything. Ace Hardware is fixing to be a Stihl dealer 25 yards away from the local lawn mover guy Stihl dealer and the John Deere dealer 2 miles north is also a Stihl Dealer. Big R/ Stock and Field supposedly lost their Stihl franchise 2 months ago. All quite confusing!!!
Have you tried Koenig Equipment? They've got multiple stores in your area and can probably identify in their database who has one in stock.

All about 100 miles or so. Brand new 661 in Craigs list with 28" Sugi Hara not to far away. Might investigate that one. Make sure it's not HOT!
Koenig in Franklin is only 68 miles away from Crawfordsville and about a 70 minute drive. That's really not too bad at all if you really want that particular saw.

Just to add some back story to this. I mainly cut hardwoods for myself for my outdoor boiler. I'm looking to up my production to see if I can sell some of the excess wood for a side business. Looking just for a good saw for felling and bucking up the wood. I do love my 660 but find that I just don't enjoy running it as much as I used to do to the weight and the vibration that thing seems to throw. Since I broke my hand 4 years ago I notice the vibration a lot more. I've always been more of a still guy but I am intrigued by husky. Thanks all for the quick responses. I guess I'm wanting a saw that will have longevity and won't give a ton of fits. I have looked at the 462's also. But I think I'm narrowed down to the 572 and the 500
I love my 572 but if I was just cutting firewood, I'd get a 562xp

I've seen enough of it myself to know it as fact, I have a 346xp that just screams, but I've ran some that were weak. Some models seem more consistent than others.
In this day and age, that should not be true. I imagine all major manufacturers use NC machines to make their product, so dimensions should match within a very tight tolerance band. I do not know what would cause noticeable differences.

In this day and age, that should not be true. I imagine all major manufacturers use NC machines to make their product, so dimensions should match within a very tight tolerance band. I do not know what would cause noticeable differences.
You obviously haven't checked, squish, or port timing in a number of engines, or know how manufacturing goes. The fact is mass production parts have a set tolerance they have to meet. Sometimes the tolerances are at one the end of the spectrum, sometimes, the other end, and sometimes they're spot on. Cylinders, pistons and cases are rough castings, to get them finished, and within speck, they have to be machined. Sometimes these parts have to be machined to the far end of what's acceptable to prevent waste. This is what happens in mass production.

Now, if you were building an F1 engine or Nascar engine, this would not occur, those parts are discarded. These are chainsaws the tolerances are quite crude honestly. Some manufacturers have different tolerances allowed, check the radial crank runout on a Honda VS a Harley-Davidson.

Ok, I just read the whole thread and theres a few things I have some comments on. First of all, yes, cost is a factor, but when you use a saw to make a living, cost isn't first and foremost by any means. How a saw cuts and suits your individual needs is FIRST. If I can get 2 years out of a felling saw with no issues, its already paid for itself 100s of times over.
Up until 2 weeks ago, I had never in my life bought a new Stihl. Ive had a bunch, built a bunch, wore out a bunch, but never bought one new. After using a 500i for a few days, I HAD to have one! Power to weight ratio is the best of ANY saw Ive ever ran. That factor right there means more to an old man like me that's still cutting timber every day than anything else. I couldn't care less about cost and if it will last 2 years, I couldn't care less about longevity either.

Back