~60cc shootout 962 Efco vs 361 Stihl vs 036 Stihl

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, look closer at Efco. They are not without issue, as no brand is, chief among them, the 962/162 is no longer made, its now a 165, and those who have both would rather they still made the 62.

They are not the cheap junk some would claim. They are not cutting edge stuff, but in some sizes, compare very favorably.

Yes, look closer at Efco. They are not without issue, as no brand is, chief among them, the 962/162 is no longer made, its now a 165, and those who have both would rather they still made the 62.

They are not the cheap junk some would claim. They are not cutting edge stuff, but in some sizes, compare very favorably.

Yes, my 156 is Cub Cadet colors is very comparable to a 359. I certainly would not hesitate to recommend them to someone who is interested in an Efco.

My EfcoDeere CS62 has ran very nicely. Only problem I have had thus far is the decompression button stuck open preventing it from starting once. Backed it out, sprayed it off with carb cleaner, and good as new. I really like it a lot. Might be fun to port 'n mm. And I actually like the green.

IMG_0255.jpg

IMG_0256.jpg

IMG_0257.jpg

IMG_0261.jpg

Last edited:
Looking for a good 962 cylinder. New one here costs almost $400.

Have a good woods port, now time to start building a full race version.

Wow, I paid about that much (each) for my CS62s. Too bad I sold 2/3 of them, at least they found good homes here at A/S.

Funny I can't even remember who got them. Mike (rmsmoparman) got my spare CS36 but I don't think he liked it.

Yes, my 156 is Cub Cadet colors is very comparable to a 359. I certainly would not hesitate to recommend them to someone who is interested in an Efco.

Being a Cub Cadet fan (I have 125 and 149 tractors) I wish I had $299 when Amazon was selling out the 156s. I also wish Cub Cadet had sold a 162. But I have to admit the green ones look better than the white ones with a little Cub Yellow on them. I wish they were Cub Yellow with a little white on them.

Last edited:
But I have to admit the green ones look better than the white ones with a little Cub Yellow on them. I wish they were Cub Yellow with a little white on them.

I cleaned mine up a bit today (rare, as this one doesn't get much TLC for some reason), I'll post some pics tomorrow. It does clean up well, as did my old Olympyc. Gotta' get a top cover and get that ol' beast running.

But I have to admit the green ones look better than the white ones with a little Cub Yellow on them. I wish they were Cub Yellow with a little white on them.

Hmm, I could have sworn the Cub Cadet chainsaws, or at least some of the Cub Cadet chainsaws, were white/yellow.

Here's a pic of a 5720 (56cc) that's yellow/black like Jonsereds are red/black.

Been checking some old videos. The 962 is about even with my BIL's woods port 346. It is approx 1 3/4-2 seconds behind my last 2 woods port 361's in 9x9 poplar.

Should improve with use.

Hmm, I could have sworn the Cub Cadet chainsaws, or at least some of the Cub Cadet chainsaws, were white/yellow.

Here's a pic of a 5720 (56cc) that's yellow/black like Jonsereds are red/black.

I was wondering when you posted the yellow/white comment. But I only have one of these and don't know much about the yellow history part of it, so I wasn't going to question you post.

I cleaned mine up a bit today (rare, as this one doesn't get much TLC for some reason), I'll post some pics tomorrow. It does clean up well, as did my old Olympyc. Gotta' get a top cover and get that ol' beast running.

like your green saw but what's really got my curiosity piqued is the mystery olympic in your sig. what gives? got pix?

Got it from my brother-in-law who bought it new at the hardware store he worked in during the early/mid eighties. Missing the top cover and I don't know what it is. Robust build and a unique (to me anyway) AV setup. I only have "group" shots of it (betcha' you all haven't seen many PT Cruisers with six chainsaws in the back end):

IMG_0272-1.jpg

IMG_0265-1.jpg

IMG_0271-1.jpg

IMG_0274.jpg

Got it from my brother-in-law who bought it new at the hardware store he worked in during the early/mid eighties. Missing the top cover and I don't know what it is. Robust build and a unique (to me anyway) AV setup. I only have "group" shots of it (betcha' you all haven't seen many PT Cruisers with six chainsaws in the back end):

IMG_0272-1.jpg

IMG_0265-1.jpg

IMG_0271-1.jpg

IMG_0274.jpg

have you measured the bore? what size bar is it pulling? at first look it resembles the 264F Deluxe. depend on bore though. is there no label on the clutch cover? how much does it weigh (with the b&C)?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back