660 tuning "running" from canada to south texas

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They have you turn it all the way in so you can find the standard setting, which on an older saw without limit caps, is generally 1 turn out from the bottom. I don' know what it is on the new ones, but if it misses a bit or "Burbles" when you run it wide open without putting it in the wood (don't do this for a long time, just short intervals to check the setting), you are probably OK. Burbling out of the cut, smooth in the cut, is kind of what you want. CHocolate brown spark plug tip is good. Tach tune to 13,500 rpm WOT if you go that route. Good job adjusting the low side!

Well I am too do both.. Getting a tach and taking my 660 "first" to a saw shop and see how I did by ear tuning the saw...

question is why u say tune to 13,500?? Book states 13,000! Just wondering because when I ask the saw shop to tune to 13,500 they may say something!

ps: don't wish to start another oil war but I know some that are running at
30:1 full syn. I can't decide on running 40:1 or other!

WHATS A GOOD TACH TO GET??

Last edited:
WHATS A GOOD TACH TO GET??

I like the Stihl edt7. It will set you back about a Franklin but it might pay for itself with just one use. It has a quick refresh rate, memorizes highest RPM, wireless and can be used on all saws (I think) and 4 strokes. I hate to admit it but I actually use it more on 4 strokes than my saws. Handy little item. On the downside it does not have a replaceable battery. Oh 50:1 stihl ultra. If you cant get ultra, go with 40:1 or 45:1 husky pro (semi-synthetic).

Back