661 - 20" 24" 28" 32" 36" in same wood...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redbull660

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Ran a test today with the 661 in two different logs (approx 19-20" dia on both). New Stihl RS chains. All Tsumura Light Bars. Same gas, oil, max oiler. Waited for Jug temp to drop to 250F before I started each new bar length.

Here are the results...

Times - pretty much the same with advantage right in the middle of the lengths. ie. the 28"

Bar temps - get hotter as you get shorter. Less time for each tooth to cool between cuts?
Jug temps - get hotter as you go longer. I assume the longer bar working saw more? With the exception of the 20"...don't know what to think on that. Maybe the shorter bar is able to transfer heat faster to the power head?

I would guess these results would change somewhat with each saw depending on it's power band? ie. maybe with a 441 the ideal length would be 20 or 24". Or maybe with a ported 661 you'd be at 32" instead of 28". Just some thoughts.

2eaq6tk.jpg

uploading the vids now...will post it up when it's done.

Bars and chains are up for sale in the for sale section.

I assume the different bar noses (how smooth they run) and other production related differences have some impact on the results?

I suppose we can conclude that using a 20" bar in Maple on a 661 makes the saw bi-polar!

Just kidding!

I wonder if the results would stay the same for different brands of bars? Perhaps the profile of the bar has an impact on what length works most efficiently.

If a 24 or 28 inch bar and chain come up for sale in the future let me know. Lol

Ran a test today with the 661 in two different logs (approx 19-20" dia on both). New Stihl RS chains. All Tsumura Light Bars. Same gas, oil, max oiler. Waited for Jug temp to drop to 250F before I started each new bar length.

Here are the results...

Times - pretty much the same with advantage right in the middle of the lengths. ie. the 28"

Bar temps - get hotter as you get shorter. Less time for each tooth to cool between cuts?
Jug temps - get hotter as you go longer. I assume the longer bar working saw more? With the exception of the 20"...don't know what to think on that. Maybe the shorter bar is able to transfer heat faster to the power head?

I would guess these results would change somewhat with each saw depending on it's power band? ie. maybe with a 441 the ideal length would be 20 or 24". Or maybe with a ported 661 you'd be at 32" instead of 28". Just some thoughts.

2eaq6tk.jpg

uploading the vids now...will post it up when it's done.

Bars and chains are up for sale in the for sale section.

Im gonna buy you a hooker... or take you on a trim hunt.

You need to stop this madness...you make me nervous.

Im gonna buy you a hooker... or take you on a trim hunt.

You need to stop this madness...you make me nervous.

ok well I get to pick her out. ...I'm just not sure I trust your taste in women, after seeing you and Little T Half go back in forth. You two need serious help! lol

You forgot the most important point... What OIL were you using???! :laugh:

I've got Mobil 1 mx2t 38.85322289:1 mixed up!!! err just round up and call it 40:1. :laugh:

ok well I get to pick her out. ...I'm just not sure I trust your taste in women, after seeing you and Little T Half go back in forth. You two need serious help! lol

I've got Mobil 1 mx2t 38.85322289:1 mixed up!!! err just round up and call it 40:1. :laugh:

Me and lil t single have some nice lookin tasties , get your mind right player.

Actually, I kind of liked this test..... so much for a longer bar slowing down your saw a whole bunch. Really didn't think there was much difference in friction between a 20 inch bar and say a 25 inch bar cutting an equal sized piece of wood. :)

Actually, I kind of liked this test..... so much for a longer bar slowing down your saw a whole bunch. Really didn't think there was much difference in friction between a 20 inch bar and say a 25 inch bar cutting an equal sized piece of wood. :)
There isn't much difference, test shows that. Fastest times were with the 28"

One test does not a conclusion make! In fact, the 20" bar in Maple was so bi polar, I wonder if it was the wood or the technique.

It would be interesting to see the same tests with different saws and different make bars, maybe Donald Trump will contribute to a good cause!

Until further testing, I'll just conclude that the size & toughness of the wood is more important than the size of the bar, within reason.

I thought the test was interesting, or I would not be reading this thread. Credit to Redbull for conducting & posting tests that few of us would bother (or pay) to do.

It makes sense to me the results. I don't like the short bars on most saws unless it's just wood pile bucking with .404". The more efficient tip with less friction is going to run cooler. I would like to see bar temps when run on a mill. I know sharpening one after a milling cut it can be hot enough to feel through leather gloves and boil the bar oil

Ok now that I"m editing the clips together, maybe the 20" ran hot because the tip was buried vs the others were not. Seems like that could be a contributing factor. I know from previous tests that the 20" tsumura runs the coolest on a smaller saw like the 361. http://www.arboristsite.com/communi...-cannon-tsumura-sugihara.276432/#post-5282641

Time wise they were pretty much all the same.

What I got out of the results - run the bar that is in the middle of power band for the saw = probably best balance for saw life, bar life, and chain life. (based on how the temps played out) ...not like your losing anything on cut times. Which is good for me, I like the 28" and 30"..how they balance on the 660 661 size saw.

Here's the vid -

should be back up in a little bit

Latest posts

Back