661 Oil Test 32:1 vs 40:1 vs 50:1 ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So the Manufacturers of Husqvarna and Stihl know nothing.

They make the saws we all enjoy using but their oils are crap. Can't use them even though they will double a warranty if you buy a six pack that only makes 6 gallons of fuel. What are they thinking? With their crap oils in 6 gallons the saws will blow up and they will have warranty claims until 2020. Right?

So motorcycle oils are the only oils we should use and the engineers and all their education and experience means nothing. I'm not buying it. I have some very expensive saws and willing to try OE oils to see what happens. Let you all know when the first one blows sky high running their junk oils at 50:1.

Anyone can run an oil at 32:1 and be safe. If you think your oils are so strong run them at 50:1. It is one of their suggested mix ratios after all.

Stay tuned.....
Alot of guys run 2R in bikes at 50:1. Same goes for motul 800, H1r and R50

i can buy lucas oil and it burns as clean if not cleaner than ultra and with my commercial discount of 19.99 per gallon
and lucas doesn't smell like burning plastic or soap.

On a stock saw the stock oil is fine 50 to 1 ,i think we have agreed on ,but...........the hopped up saws seem to not last as long at 50 to 1 due to the extra force on bearings from higher compression ,and more heat build up ,so a need for a better oil is needed to make them last long ............Am i on the right track here ??? It is just there is no one right answer which one will work on your saw with your particular mods to be perfect ,because what works best on one ,may not be best for another .So here we are .

The End
Certain stock saws eat up bearings too. Likely because of things like fixed jet carbs and limiter caps making them run too lean. Apparently and it is apparent the average woodtick can't tune a carb to save his life.

How much is a 6 pack of 2.6oz bottles (15.6 total) of Ultra? The pint (16oz.) of Yamalube i bought today was $6.99 and the liter (33.xoz.) of Super M was $11.99, A quart of Lucas is $9.99.
a 6 pack of ultra is 17.99 here for the 1 gallon mix or the 5 gallon mix 6 pack is 38.99

TRX, what about just richening up the OE oils? Anyone ever tried that?
I think the problem that has been discussed with the oem's from what i have read ,and tore down myself ,is they are leave dirtier deposits ,on the inside of the engine ,and a cleaner running engine is trying to be found here ,every logger saw engine i have torn down had real carboned up bearings that had a lot of hours on them running stihl mix ,the 32 to one may cure that washing the engine better ,i do not know ,i have not tried it yet .They protect good enough for most people though and get the job done .

So the $ is the deal breaker? But don't you have to factor in that you are using more oil at 32:1 vs. 50:1 so the yield isn't as much as you thought it would be? With my discount Ultra for example is mid $50s I believe and makes 50 gallons. So take a $40 gallon and mix at 32:1 what do you have price wise on yield? How many gallons come out of a 32:1 ratio from a gallon? Way less than 50 that's for sure.

I just think this is way overthinking and most of all trying to outsmart the Manufacturers. How many of you question their engineering and replace all the important OE parts in a saw because the same corporation that makes their oils make the saws and since they don't know what they are doing with lubricants they surely don't know what they heck they are doing with the internal parts. Right? It just gets silly when you think about it. I'm included mixing this and mixing that trying to beat the OE product. We are learning that a viscosity close to the OE appears to be important or Lucas or 710 wouldn't be considered.

What about the Husky lovers out there? I own quite a few of those too. Is their HP oil junk as well? How many blown saws come in from running HP at 50:1? Just curious.

What about mixing the OE oils richer than recommended like everyone does the motorcycle oils? What would be wrong with that? Husky HP oil per gallon is in the low $40s for me. Cheap enough. And yet they will slap a 4 year warranty on their saws using this junk oil. Amazing is all I can say.

My ported saws are faster with a leaner ratio than 32:1 that's for sure.
Nothing is wrong with Husky silver bottle. I just don't think it's worth 40 per gallon. I would run Citgo air cooled if I was looking for a quality OEM type oil.

i can buy lucas oil and it burns as clean if not cleaner than ultra and with my commercial discount of 19.99 per gallon
and lucas doesn't smell like burning plastic or soap.
I'm not even sure how Lucas got thrown into the discussion here.. It's too cheap and un-sexy to even get a second look from the high brow oil folks..
But this wood tick burns a bunch of it, cause it's cheap and above all else, on the shelf in quarts at O'Reilly's...
I've been known to tune a carb or two though.
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

I think the problem that has been discussed with the oem's from what i have read ,and tore down myself ,is they are leave dirtier deposits ,on the inside of the engine ,and a cleaner running engine is trying to be found here ,every logger saw engine i have torn down had real carboned up bearings that had a lot of hours on them running stihl mix ,the 32 to one may cure that washing the engine better ,i do not know ,i have not tried it yet .They protect good enough for most people though and get the job done .
Bearings with carbon 9r black buildup indicates dirt.or saw dust ingestion. Bearings should always be clean.

How much is a 6 pack of 2.6oz bottles (15.6 total) of Ultra? The pint (16oz.) of Yamalube i bought today was $6.99 and the liter (33.xoz.) of Super M was $11.99, A quart of Lucas is $9.99.

My cost is around 1.10 per gallon of oil value. Most of us waste $ on vices and things in life way more expensive than a few dollars difference in oil. I only use approximately 40 gallons a year so I'm a lightweight on volume I know.

a 6 pack of ultra is 17.99 here for the 1 gallon mix or the 5 gallon mix 6 pack is 38.99

Maybe it's regional in pricing. Here it is $20.45 for 6-2 gallon mix bottles less my 12% discount. But the Gallon is the way to go here in the mid $50s with discount.

when i get tired of a women i get me different one
they are more expensive than saws but fun to bang :laugh:

Well we sure aren't going about this very methodically....

what about coming up with a list of questions to fire off to the various makers....to qualify if we should even be considering it.

I still really want to see 800 2T tested at 32:1, 40:1, & 50:1 in both an MTronic saw and a non-MTronic saw. Until then, we have no idea if it's the viscosity or the makeup of H1-R that hurts performance at 32:1, based on the tests RedBull has done.

This is what needs to happen next, IMHO.

Latest posts

Back