70cc saw opinions based on these factors...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great choice in going with the 70cc

funny how all the guys with 60cc saws say there's run with 70cc and pull 28" chains. Wth does pull mean? And does theyre wife get made cause theres bar oil all over the garage.
Well I would say in those cases it would give credence to the wife's argument that the hubby really did not need a bigger saw when she hears her hubby's bigger saw works the same and his buddies smaller saw because the buddy operated it correctly

Well , I know of a more than a few , World Class Hunters that have on occasion . You could not even carry their jock strap ! And your opinion or your Kin's , out there or anywhere is the least of my worries in any realm brother , now or 50 yrs ago ! ;)
Funny, in Montana wilderness hunting I know of not a single guy that uses one for big game hunting..
I've have no doubt I've killed a wider variety of **** than you can dream off.

Lots ar platform firearms in idaho killing big game and small varmits to and dogs in idaho.
The platform has really proved itself as an all around work horse powders Bullets and understanding off them are also progressive.
sieht. mention if you knock on a door in idaho and the owner opens it there likly a ar or shotgun behind the door out of your sight. So fire does double duty protecting the home aswell as putting meat in the freezer n downing varmints for fun or earning its keep collecting fur.

Lets stay on topic guys. Actually I think the OP bought a 572 or 62 idk.

Its snowing by the way

Well I would say in those cases it would give credence to the wife's argument that the hubby really did not need a bigger saw when she hears her hubby's bigger saw works the same and his buddies smaller saw because the buddy operated it correctly

Wait the wifes cool if the smaller tool if its operated correctly. Id have to say shes never been around the bigger tool thats operated correctly.
Either way niether is need if it cuts 2 trees a year but burns bar oil in the garage

I wonder if CAD sales % is higher than of those who buy saws to actually cut wood

This thread wasn't started about old junk from 50 years ago. And it wasn't started by Brufab.
People use use blackpowder mostly as a scam for preferential and or longer seasons. That's a good reason to use a BP rifle.
Some do... some don't. I like them... so much so that I worked in Williamsburg's Gunsmith shop in the mid-80s. Real black powder with real flint. I don't think I'm taking a cartridge gun out this year... If I do it will be a single shot rifle.

Saws... I have Stihls... MS170, MS261 and MS461. The 170 has proven to be handier than I ever imagined for brush and vines... It was a returned saw (idiot buyer) that I've got about $80 in with some updates (steel bumper spikes, side adjuster, muffler gasket and muffler mod). The other two saws handily handle the trees I have around here in the Hudson Valley.

In any discussion of saws the species and sizes of the trees involved needs to be considered. Yeah a 661 or 881 would be fun to have but there are so few trees around here to fell with them it would be a waste. Milling... maybe, but I haven't done much of that lately so the 461 is just fine.

LongRifle.gif

Lots ar platform firearms in idaho killing big game and small varmits to and dogs in idaho.
The platform has really proved itself as an all around work horse powders Bullets and understanding off them are also progressive.
sieht. mention if you knock on a door in idaho and the owner opens it there likly a ar or shotgun behind the door out of your sight. So fire does double duty protecting the home aswell as putting meat in the freezer n downing varmints for fun or earning its keep collecting fur.

Its snowing by the way

Good points Evan , yeah moving on Pardner , back on point !

Some do... some don't. I like them... so much so that I worked in Williamsburg's Gunsmith shop in the mid-80s. Real black powder with real flint. I don't think I'm taking a cartridge gun out this year... If I do it will be a single shot rifle.

Saws... I have Stihls... MS170, MS261 and MS461. The 170 has proven to be handier than I ever imagined for brush and vines... It was a returned saw (idiot buyer) that I've got about $80 in with some updates (steel bumper spikes, side adjuster, muffler gasket and muffler mod). The other two saws handily handle the trees I have around here in the Hudson Valley.

In any discussion of saws the species and sizes of the trees involved needs to be considered. Yeah a 661 or 881 would be fun to have but there are so few trees around here to fell with them it would be a waste. Milling... maybe, but I haven't done much of that lately so the 461 is just fine.

View attachment 1028941
Exactly Griz , not everyone follows the same path on life's long journey . I don't favor majority of Stihl's line up anymore , other than the new 400 which intrigues me . If our local dealer was more ethical I would likely have one by now lol. I had a few in my day . The 260 series actually the 261 was a very effective firewood saw in its day . Overshadowed by the 346 xp unfortunately for Stihl . I currently have an old 660 that I mill with a 36 " Carelton ripping chain , primarily on large white pine. Our fishing camp was built using wood it cut . As for the Black powder , had a Hawkins 50 cal. old school tech open iron sights. Shot my 1st 10 pt buck at 75 yds with it . Afterwards when buddies of mine invited me as a member of their hunt camp I purchased a Thompson Centre fire inline 45 cal stainless with 3x9 Redfield . Have shot a lot of late December bucks with it & a Bull Moose in Northern Ontario 6 yrs ago . Its a true tack driver within 40-50 yds with the new Barnes Thor-Hammer 300 grain full copper sabot loaded with 150 grains of Blackhorn 290 powder vs the old ball configurations Love the 1 shot kill scenerio , keeps the truist tradition alive brother !

Its snowing by the way

Always wanted to try one of those snow scooter's . I really enjoy my current Polaris's , Patriot 850 Switchback in the powder ! Still have my SKS 700 for the trails & a older modded RXL 650 just for ripping out on the ice & camp !

Exactly Griz , not everyone follows the same path on life's long journey . I don't favor majority of Stihl's line up anymore , other than the new 400 which intrigues me . If our local dealer was more ethical I would likely have one by now lol. I had a few in my day . The 260 series actually the 261 was a very effective firewood saw in its day . Overshadowed by the 346 xp unfortunately for Stihl . I currently have an old 660 that I mill with a 36 " Carelton ripping chain , primarily on large white pine. Our fishing camp was built using wood it cut . As for the Black powder , had a Hawkins 50 cal. old school tech open iron sights. Shot my 1st 10 or buck at 75 yrs with it . Afterwards when buddies of mine invited me as a member of their hunt camp I purchased a Thompson Centre fire inline 45 cal stainless with 3x9 Redfield . Have shot a lot of late December bucks with it & Bull Moose in Northern Ontario 6 yrs ago . Its a true tack driver within 40-50 yds with the new Barnes Thor-Hammer 300 grain full copper sabot loaded with 150 grains of Blackhorn 290 powder vs the old ball configurations Love the 1 shot kill scenerio , keeps the truist tradition alive brother !
Regarding life's long journey... I'm not sure it is so long. Summer lasted forever as a kid. Now time is moving at the speed of light and all my spring/summer/fall projects didn't get done.... again! Using a flintlock slows things down. ;)

All softwoods or medoum hardwoods , round or square grind ?
Both really. Even mix of poplar, white pine, hickory and different red and white oaks. Nothing bigger than maybe 32” max though, except for the random big oak that got passed up cutting years ago. For those I do go for a bigger saw. I’m certainly NOT saying the 400 is better with a 28” bar than a 462 or 572, just that it’s what I use and it works great for me.

I just round file, I don’t know too much about square grind. I do file often though. Every morning and again and lunch and sometimes a little end of the day.

Because money lol arboristsite.com is here for money if all off topic nutty threads deleted and users banned the site would lose traffic and money.

I still feel some sort of sanity check should be there. I mean think of the nuttiest wack job you've ever met and he can have all of that also
What happens when, for one reason or another, someone decides that YOU are the nuttiest whack job they've ever met?

That's the funny thing about rights that were endowed upon us by our Creator. The only way a person looses them is when they give them up because they are afraid of what someone else might do with them. I figure, if God trusted a person with those rights, what makes me so all knowing that I would dare to question it. Will some misuse those rights? I'm sure of it, but it pails in comparison to nailing the Creator to a tree to die so I don't have much room to complain.

Back