a cord of wood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Krokit

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
this may sound dumb but have been going round and round with some people about how much wood is a cord of wood.my understanding is that 4 feet high 4 feet wide 8 feet long is a cord.Is this correct ? And how much is a cord of wood going for,what i have is red oak.

Yes, a cord of wood is 4x4x8 if stacked nice and tightly. I can't answer the cost in your area, but in northern Michigan a cord of Oak LOGS is running $85.00 to $100.00. In firewood length and split, figure double that.

Bob

Some people think a cord is 16in X4ft X8ft some call it a face cord.

Here in MO. legally their is no such thing as a face cord.

TT

yup that a cord of wood it gos $200.00 around here 400 pieces

do you really count the pieces tom? :dizzy::cheers:

i love when people try to tell me what a cord of wood is.. "yea well just so you know, i know that a cord of wood is 4by4by8".. to which i reply.. "a cord of wood is 128 cubic feet", this confuses people, but its fun

i love when people try to tell me what a cord of wood is.. "yea well just so you know, i know that a cord of wood is 4by4by8".. to which i reply.. "a cord of wood is 128 cubic feet", this confuses people, but its fun

You are a very bad man, Mr. Banshee! :laugh:

Some people think a cord is 16in X4ft X8ft some call it a face cord.

Here in MO. legally their is no such thing as a face cord.

TT

There is no such thing as a face cord anywhere in the U.S. It's not a legally defined unit of measure, which means, it means anything the seller wants it to mean.

If you buy a "face cord" of wood, pay your hundred bucks or whatever, and he brings you a 5 gallon bucket of sticks, you have no legal grounds for complaint.

I pack my racked up Ranger with about 75 cubic feet and sell that for $100. So, the equivalent cord price is ($100 / 75) * 128 = $171. That's mixed hardwoods, all dry and ready to burn.

Selling by the truckload makes more sense to me. People can see a truckload. If people insist on a cord, I make two deliveries and don't pack it up so high.

Yes, a cord of wood is 4x4x8 if stacked nice and tightly. I can't answer the cost in your area, but in northern Michigan a cord of Oak LOGS is running $85.00 to $100.00. In firewood length and split, figure double that.

Bob

That is a REAL bargain ! Juniper or Pinon is $150 for blocks here, 250 split.

I pack my racked up Ranger with about 75 cubic feet and sell that for $100. So, the equivalent cord price is ($100 / 75) * 128 = $171. That's mixed hardwoods, all dry and ready to burn.

Selling by the truckload makes more sense to me. People can see a truckload. If people insist on a cord, I make two deliveries and don't pack it up so high.

do you advertise as "truck load" or "75cu.ft. of wood" ?
i could see many people having a problem with the "truckload" term right off the bat making them look right past the ad to another ad that contains an actual term of measurement
people like to feel like they are in charge and have control of things they are buying, and using terms like "truckload" wont earn you much trust with those types of people, not saying what you are selling isnt a good deal, it is, but i feel like you would lose a lot of possible customers right off the bat just by advertising using terms like "truckload"

Sells from $150 to $200 depending upon the area here. I am right on the border. South to Southeast is $200, North to Northwest is $150. Makes it tough to list for sale, I shoot for $175 as a blanket listing. Typically all buyers are South and East...go figure.:bang:

do you really count the pieces tom? :dizzy::cheers:

yes if thear a pain in the :hmm3grin2orange:

Well MB You found the Ticket!!

Here (in Maine) a few yrs ago there were so many rip-off firewood dealers with different scales that the citizenry was enraged and petitioned the state to come up with volumetric measurements of firewood in different sizes/configurations. I am operating by memory here and can't remember all the figures and may not have some figures totally correct but you'll get the idea.

(1) 4 foot round wood stacked is the standard 4'X4'X8'=128 cuft.

(2) 4 foot split stacked =112 cuft

(3) 16" split and stacked=98 cuft

(3) 16" split in a heap=180 cuft

This just a sample of what the state considered the "legal" definition of a cord of firewood. I believe the research and tests were done by the University Of Maine. These figures are real and there are more that deal in other sizes wood length and type of stack appropriate. As you see it makes a huge difference in size between stacked and thrown in a pile. That's why most firewood dealers way prefer to back up and dump a pile of wood and tell you what it is.

There are no "ricks" or "racks" or face cord measurements. These are just schemes devised by woodbooger rip-offs to not give you what you paid for.

There is an oldtimer saying up here that we use discussing the size of a cord of wood as a "cord of wood I'd buy or sell" And that my friends is in fact a real and honest cord of wood. Would you agree???:cheers:

The Grat state of Rkinsaw only recognizes a cord. a lot of folks sell ricks that used to be half a cord, when fireplaces would hold 2' wood.

Time marches on and the rick becomes 18" long & fits nicely in the newer, yet smaller, fireplace.

Lots of tiny apartments/condos built in the 70, 80s & 90s and 16" wood fit real nice.

I had folks request the smaller wood.

The folks stealing from people are stacking wood so loose that the aformentioned squirrel could run through each stick w/cat chasing him while a small dawg was hot on his tail.

Or, they stack a half and criss-cross every level to make sure you only end up w/about 75% of the height/depth.

North Rkinsaw 40-45, usually delivered, for an 18" 4x8 rick.

Central is 70-80 clams, you pick up.

Seasoned hardwood w/2/3-3/4 mix of split to 8-10". back logs and a few small ones.

I used to sell one row across the bed of a truck for 25 bucks & thought I was making out like a bandit.

Waly-World will sell two bundles, 4-5 small splits, for about a fin.

Now, that is making out like a bandit...

Back