A different story of enclosure: New-Old Friend - My New MS660 !!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"I came across this particular MS660 in a not-so-standard way, and after several years - It's mine - and I am still the only one to have run it! That is, in very few words."

----------------------

I believe you need to expain "not-so-standard way" and how it is possible that you are the only one who has ever run this MS660. That might clear things up a bit for those of us who have spent $1,000 or more to own one.

OMG a self appointed forum policeman.

Ps. check your spelling.

until..

..I get the 32" combo......... I went to make some 'cookies' with it 4 the 1st time ;)

My dog was there while I modded the bar to fit on. All I had to do is mill the groove evenly, but the oiling inlet was already perfect on that bar that was initially (a year ago) modded for my Pro-Mac 3.7ci (610).. don't ask.. lol

The Pro-Mac has already a 28" combo on it, so it wouldn't miss this 20" heavy-duty b&c..

:D

good day and happy weekend!!

Jo.

well yea, I read much of it here

Careful! The guys on this forum will tell you to modify everything!

Philbert

but what would you, P. , do with the muffler if u were in my place and just wanted this machine to run for years to come? The muffler hole does seem a bit small, but I also learned that some things are meant to build pressure.. all this dual-porting craze, would it mean anything if you don't rebuild the muffler from the inside and create dual channels? Any reasonable person can open a nice extra hole and braze another nice deflector to direct the burnt gases right.. but these are just 2 holes, other than 2 ports.. hmmm.. seen more than enough threads about that. So tell me- why do performance exhaust pipes have one relatively small exit?? Why should I not keep the exit hole as is? After all it's a non-cat.. so, free flow exhaust? or pressure exhaust? See where I'm getting?

Last edited:
but what would you, P. ,

Personally, I am happy if I can get my saws to start and run 'stock' (as designed by the manufacturer) reliably. And for me, a MS 660 has more power than I typically need, so I would not need to modify it.

I get the idea of increasing performance from a saw, of improving it's power to weight ratio, etc. But I am not a two-stroke expert to know where the limits are, and when the life of the saw is compromised, when a uniform torque band is sacrificed for a higher peak torque at high revs, etc. I don't want a saw that is tuned to it's edge, I want one with a wide comfort margin that is forgiving if the fuel is not blended exactly right or the air filter is a little clogged, etc.

There are people on this site who actively promote modifications and performance gains. We hear about 'work mods', and 'race mods', etc. What we don't hear so much about are people that ruin or damage a saw (and dump it on eBay? Craig'sList?, etc.). It's one of the reasons I am cautious about buying a used saw that someone may have experimented on.

You have worked hard to acquire an 'almost new' saw. If you decide to modify it, I would proceed cautiously, and only after you have worked with it for a while in it's current condition. You may find that it is 'good enough' for you as it is.

Just my opinion. Others with vary.

Philbert

well,

Personally, I am happy if I can get my saws to start and run 'stock' (as designed by the manufacturer) reliably. And for me, a MS 660 has more power than I typically need, so I would not need to modify it.

I get the idea of increasing performance from a saw, of improving it's power to weight ratio, etc. But I am not a two-stroke expert to know where the limits are, and when the life of the saw is compromised, when a uniform torque band is sacrificed for a higher peak torque at high revs, etc. I don't want a saw that is tuned to it's edge, I want one with a wide comfort margin that is forgiving if the fuel is not blended exactly right or the air filter is a little clogged, etc.

There are people on this site who actively promote modifications and performance gains. We hear about 'work mods', and 'race mods', etc. What we don't hear so much about are people that ruin or damage a saw (and dump it on eBay? Craig'sList?, etc.). It's one of the reasons I am cautious about buying a used saw that someone may have experimented on.

You have worked hard to acquire an 'almost new' saw. If you decide to modify it, I would proceed cautiously, and only after you have worked with it for a while in it's current condition. You may find that it is 'good enough' for you as it is.

Just my opinion. Others with vary.

Philbert

I can relate to that! Just wanted 1002nd opinion ;)

But the way you put it makes even more sense :D

I'll leave the modding experiments to my MS240 that I got from Germany, all beat-up.. fixed it with a reasonable original piston, an Italian piston set and epoxied the rear handle.. when I'll get bored, or need a different challenge, or that it gives up on me - I'll get a new c&p to port for fun.. meanwhile, even with muffler-mod, it's the quietest and best vibe-isolated chainsaw I can remember yet. These features I appreciate no less than performance. Again, that's just me :D

For some reason I was thinking newer 660, not the older one like yours. Yes, your right, the gain of a muffler mod probably would be negligible ...........Charlie Mike
Salute25.gif

some updates, for the CAD....

added an AM cover-side falling spikes..
took a pic with the Windsor heavy-duty 20" bar, and the Oregon skip chain on..
that's what I had for it, until.. until the used 32" has arrived! + a STIHL 32" 105DL skip chain.. :)
I had to re-surface it, but what a fantastic configuration :) I'm even happier now.. It's been a long way, and now it's done and ready.

Have a fantastic and happy weekend guys :biggrinbounce2:

Sincerely,

Jo.

I just find it reassuring each time I see proof that all over the world,
we're all scroungers!

I'll bet the neighborhood kids think you have a cool garage.
The kids here all think I have a lot of (or maybe too much) stuff
but it's always good to have it when we can fix something.

I see a joy stick on that old receiver, is that a quad unit?

Edit: I also like the backstory on the Stihl.

don't start!! ;) :p

I just find it reassuring each time I see proof that all over the world,
we're all scroungers!

I'll bet the neighborhood kids think you have a cool garage.
The kids here all think I have a lot of (or maybe too much) stuff
but it's always good to have it when we can fix something.

I see a joy stick on that old receiver, is that a quad unit?

Edit: I also like the backstory on the Stihl.

That's a whole different story, and a bit of a sad one.. Are you, by any chance, a hardcore electrician who likes to play around with a "Harman/Kardon" receiver with some rusty guts?? :/ I think it's better to skip the story.. so sad.. :(

But you know what, CAD's a gift!! Aaaah!!

BTW - u know what.. maybe it's good that fewer people know about my collection? :p LOL

================================
EDIT: Here, where I'm from, people with respect
to a CAD'ed person with bunch of machines on
the shelf/bench - are yet to exist...... more rare
here are actually chainsaw collectors. And who-
knows, maybe I'm the 1st REAL C.A.D. person
on A.S. from my country.. there's a chance. :)
================================

Jo.

Last edited:
Rust & Harmon Kardon should never be in the same room, much less sentence:(

The saw is looking good, I like the dual bucking spikes.....have you thrown some sawdust yet?

PainAndMurphy

I just rebuilt an 066 and did a muffler mod to it. It had a very closed up box/baffle that I totally removed then I opened the outlet to about 5/8" so the muffler is almost identical to the one on my MS440. According to the info on this site from someone who did some VERY in-depth testing, this mod reduces operating temps in the saw, which CAN'T be bad!

I just rebuilt an 066 and did a muffler mod to it. It had a very closed up box/baffle that I totally removed then I opened the outlet to about 5/8" so the muffler is almost identical to the one on my MS440. According to the info on this site from someone who did some VERY in-depth testing, this mod reduces operating temps in the saw, which CAN'T be bad!

hey -- I did rep', but I forgot to "Alt+Shift", so it wrote in my native language.. and the mouse here is SO BAD that when I came to click and mark the line, it pushed "send" or something.. aaarrgh!! anyways - it said: "Thanks for the info!"

Jo.

back when I was a concrete monkey.... long before the timber-craze :p :D

pardon me for the face-blocking, I kinda hate to show it when it's revolved around this very specific issue, hope you'd understand....... it ain't pretty anyways, and we care about the chainsaws!! LOL

Jo.

construction show #2

MUCH safer than disc cutting. Disc relies on speed like a high-speed flywheel. But chainsaw? -torque! :)
No danger of severe kickback, and once you're past the 1st inch - it's impossible for the bar to jump at you :D

As soon as you get used to it - you'll neeeeeeeever wanna go back to cutting with a disc that has to cut at about 12 to 15 thousand RPM of the cutting disc!! (the gear and belt multiplies it by 1XX%; no such thing on Chain)

It's my crown jewel :p , but..

Rust & Harmon Kardon should never be in the same room, much less sentence:(

The saw is looking good, I like the dual bucking spikes.....have you thrown some sawdust yet?

..but it's waiting for some big timber!! LOL

won't start it unless I benefit from it.. why should I put my baby to work for free, you know? .. :)

Happy for you P & M! You sound like you deserve your hard earned new toy! I mean tool! Lol! More like a combo toy/tool. How about a new word: Toyl - Item used for work and entertainment which in turn can be a good excuse to tell your wife that your busy with work :)

Latest posts

Back