A few pics and review of MS362

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a 20" bar and it seems about right, but I haven't tried others on it. I can stall the chain if I really hork on it, so getting up to 25" or so would require a bit of a lighter touch, I'd think.

As for vibration, this saw has almost none. Exceptionally smooth.

Country, that is possibly the best saw review I've read online.

Thanks for the scoop on plastics, Davec, that's some interesting stuff. Seems to me if the plastic handles are strong, light, and damp vibration, that makes 'em a feature, not homeowner swill.

I've been trying to decide between a MS362 and a 346XP. I'm tall but my build is far more arborist than lumberjack, so I'm not sure about the 362's weight. I cut mostly hardwood, so I'm not sure about the 346's power. Vibrations set off my CTS, but I don't know how vibes compare between them, if I got the 362, I'd definitely set it up with .325 chain.

Any insights on how the 362 and 346 compare regarding vibration? Hope I'm not thread hijacking, just interested in how these two saws compare on this one point.

I don't think the 2 saws compare as they are different classes, the 346 would handle better as a limber but lacks the torque to buck like the 362.

NEVER put your saw in the splitter!!!! LOL

or run it over with the bobcat, or back over it with the tractor, or burry it in the wood pile.....BAD THINGS HAPPEN :) I once backed over my pellet gun when it was in the case and saw the case go by under the window....KICKED myself for leaving it behind the car (that was my "critter sniping" spot) and got out to see what was left inside the case. Opened it up and it was FINE!!!! That is what sold me on Pillar lock cases.....AWESOME!!!! Saved my $400 gun!! I was ready to run over my foot for running it over....I have had my gun and case for almost a year now, and they are both just fine.

Log Hogger both saws are exceptionally smooth. The 362 is definitely the better all around saw if you plan on bucking 16"+ logs. If you get a 362 run 3/8 chain, you'd be holding back the saws performance. 325 is not going to be much if any smoother than 3/8:cheers:

Allright, here is my 362 my only question is how can I get some more oil flow to the chain? I have the valve cranked open and would like a little more. I get about 1.5 tanks of fuel to one tank of oil before its ready for a refill. not cooking the bar or the chain just like a little more flow.

Thanks

Dan. Ya I know its the Hotrod of 362's with the full wrap and double dog:chainsaw:

Allright, here is my 362 my only question is how can I get some more oil flow to the chain? I have the valve cranked open and would like a little more. I get about 1.5 tanks of fuel to one tank of oil before its ready for a refill. not cooking the bar or the chain just like a little more flow.

Thanks

Dan. Ya I know its the Hotrod of 362's with the full wrap and double dog:chainsaw:

If you are running a smaller bar that ratio is fine. A 25 inch bar would be closer to 1:1.

your opinion

Got to play around with my new 362 for the 1st time yesterday. If you've seen my other post, you'd know I took a little road trip to see Thall on Tuesday. Got to hang out with him and talk saws. He helped me with a carb problem I had with my old 038 Mag and gave me a great deal on the only ms362 in Stihl's mid Atlantic area.

Before I talk about the new saw... A little back ground... I'm comparing the 362 to my experience with the 361 and 441. Some might know that I bought a 361 6 or 8 months ago and just recently sold it. I really liked the saw when I 1st got it. As I had been mostly cutting with my 10 year old 026 over the last few years. The 361 was a lot faster with just a little more weight. The only thing I didn't like about it was how light handed you had to be with it. I was used to a slower more torquier 026. In clearing my land with the excavator I cut a lot of green downed trees on uneven ground and they are always under pressure. They wined up pinching a lot more than if you were just cutting dead wood for firewood. The low torque and fast cut speed of the 361 would get me in trouble by getting pinched and hung easier. If I took my time and gave myself enough room to get around the lines of trees, I could avoid getting hung for the most part. Sometimes though it was tough, climbing over trees and branches in the mud on the sides of hills. You just want to hurry, get things stumped and bucked and get back in the machine. That's usually when I'd get hung...

More visits and time spent on this site had me wanting a 441. CAD got the better of me and I got one. Soon after the 361 got kicked to the curb and I put it up for sale. I was a little sad to see the 361 go but the 441 has it all, fast cut speed, loads of torque, very smooth, but with the price of extra weight and bulk (remember I was used to doing my cutting with the little old 026). I've found the 441 is really too much saw for what I usually do. So, I started using the ol' trust 026 again.

Then more visits and time spent on AS, I find out about this new strato 362. Same great saw as the 361, but with more torque and 441 smoothness and styling. This saw has everything I was looking for. I tried Tommy's demo 362 with a 20 in a 18" frozen Yellow Poplar log and it was nice. I was impressed, but I was really impressed yesterday with mine with an 18" bar in 8 to 16 inch oak, maple, hickory and cherry! This saw is as torquie as it is fast. And smooth as silk! It even feels smooth when pulling the starter rope. You can hardly feel the compression. She comes to life in 1 or 2 pulls cold, squeeze the trigger 1 or 2 more easy pulls and she's running. All my other Stihls take at least twice as many pulls cold... I cut for about an hour yesterday smiling the whole time. It revs very fast like the 441 and sounds similar. I think it feels nimble and well balanced in hand and very easy to cut with (bucking or limbing). Very good "do it all" saw and a top of the line firewood saw. It seems to be a good oiler for the western guys running longer bars. Mine's set on "E" and oils very well with an 18. I only had to refuel once during the hour of playing and the oil tank was at about 1/2. So that's pretty fuel friendly.

If anyone has any questions about the saw, I'd be happy to answer.

Thanks again to Tommy! I know he knew I was an AS member and all but, I've never had service like that before in all my years of buying tools/ equipment. I could tell from the way he treated the other customers that he gave everyone the same level of service. Just wish he was closer!

I know how everyone likes pics, so I'll post a few from yesterday...
First few are close ups of the 362 before it got into any wood.
The last two are of the 362 with it's new team mates...

I'll make another post to add the last few.

HI,

My father in law has been a husqvarna man since I've known him, he has had 3 or 4 saws, I think he last one he purchased was a 261, about a year ago he purchased a Stihl MS 362.
I could not believe he made the switch but one day he wanted to get a saw with a longer bar and the local Husqvarna dealer on had a 20" bar, so in the same day he went to a Stihl dealer and purchased the MS 362 with a 25" bar.
My father in law is 84 years old and he came to me and said "you know this Stihl is hard for me to start, I think I want you to find me a Husqvarna for me", being and old swedish man I thought it was natural to get back into his favorite saw the Husqvarna.
I found a Husqvarna 372xp that is in excellent condition with a new 28" bar and chain for $550.00
I really want this Stihl MS 362.
Do you think this is fairly equal? I buy my father in law the Husqvarn 372xp and he in trade will give me the Stihl MS 362?
I am a Stihl man and this would go quite well with my 026 Pro 16" bar, Farm Boss 041 20" bar,
and my 076 AVE 41" bar.
I would probably have way to many saws according to my wife but, I Love Stihls!

Your opinion on the trade would be welcomed.

Thanks.

Bryan.:smile2:

yes.

but the 362 is not hard to start. It is ridiculously easy, when started according to the instructions. It does flood easily though.....

ps, put an 18" or 20" bar on the 362.

Last edited:
The 372 and 361 are two totally different saws. Is it a fair trade? if the 372 is in good shape or just OK shape I'd say yes. With that said the 372 isn't going to be any easier for him to start, being a larger cc saw, so I really don't see the trade helping him. BTW I like my 362, but it has nothing on a 372 in any way.:cheers:

agree

yes.

but the 362 is not hard to start. It is ridiculously easy, when started according to the instructions. It does flood easily though.....

ps, put an 18" or 20" bar on the 362.

I thought the same, I ran his saw recently after felling a 43" oak with my 076
I used it on the 20-25" limbs
it was very torquey, and I think it revs higher than my 026 pro

It balanced well and is very responsive!

Back