A little urban logging w / Stihl MS440 and 039

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roostersgt

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I decided to have two 129' cedar trees removed as they have been dropping huge branches onto my cabin's rooftop. Tree guys (all climbers) charged me $1400 and had both trees down by the end of the day. Lots of rigging and climbing work on their part. No bucket truck was used due to proximity to power line and closeness of cabin and neighboring cabin. I can't say enough about the respect I have for their work ethic, skills and abilities. It was truly a sight to behold. It took me 5 solid days to buck and split the rounds. I still have a day or two left to finish up the larger limbs.

Ran about 6 tanks through the MS440 and it's a beast! The 039 left me disappointed, as it was bogging down terribly in only 12" cedar w / 25" bar. I just couldn't get the dang thing to tune right. I'm getting a tach from Bailey's after the holiday. I think I'm just too worried about burning it up and kept it too "fat". Didn't have a single problem tuning the 440. Ripped through rounds even without "ripping" chain. Noodles everywhere!Grinned ear to ear the entire time, even after 5 days of humping really heavy, large rounds and split wood.

The only tree left standing when I arrived.

IMAG0256.jpg

My log splitting rig.

IMAG0269.jpg

A pic of the "landing", urban style.

IMAG0260.jpg

Stump pic with my MS440 w/ 32" bar.

IMAG0265.jpg

About 1/4 of the wood stacked against side fence.

IMAG0262.jpg

Random pic of back deck.

IMAG0263.jpg

I forgot to mention the tree guys used Huskys for their main saws, 346XP, 372XP, 394 and a 2100CD w/ 72" Cannon bar for the stumps. They also used a Stihl 200T (their only Stihl) when cutting the tops during their climbs. The main guy told me all the saws were modified with port work and gutted mufflers. Sure sounded like it! Very loud and very snappy saws. Too bad there isn't a Stihl dealer closer, only a Husky dealer 20 miles down the hill.

watch stacking your firewood next to your wood sided house, bad news. aside from that I love your saw and operation, I have a 44o myself,

btw I just put out a fire on the 4th of july that started due to embers igniting the woodpile next to the structure.

peace be with you, always.

I appreciate the tip. I stacked the wood about 3"-4" from the cabin wall. Wood is still really wet and it's pretty warm right now, so few people burning anything, even at night. I'll have it covered and completely separated from the wall by October. Can't say enough about how much I enjoy the 440. The grins just keep coming with every blip of the trigger.

Latest posts

Back