A question from a new guy makita/Dalmar dcs510 vs 5100

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kristhewelder

Reaction score
Hi, first of I really enjoy this forum you guys are great!I bought a new Makita 51 from CPO Makita for a good price and it is a nice saw I originally was looking for a light saw with good power to weight Ratio for farm use and woodcutting.I have a couple of artificial hips and a back that was surgically fixed and I want to keep it that way.
Can anybody tell me what the difference is between the 510 and the 5100?.The 5100 revs 1000 rpm higher and has .6 more horsepower thats all I can tell.will the muffler mod and carb adjustment give me that power gain? I am running a 18 inch bar with Baileys Woodland Pro 30rc chisel chain(A steal at 9.95 each)I can't help myself I have to modify all of my toys.so Hello, and thanks for a lot of good information.

i think the porting is quite a bit different between the saws. i'm working on a 5100s and she seems to cut pretty well.

on the 5100, muffler mod did nothing, jetting nothing, air intake nothing.

pulling out the base gasket helped quite a bit, and i think porting will help a LOT.

Back