About to buy a new chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
$450 can buy some killer saws....do you have a size in mind or is the goal to get the most performance for the dollars:confused:

Looking at no more than 50cc roughly. So easy to creep up into the next class, and then the next, and then the next... I started out just wanting something really simple and cheap in the 40cc, $300 range. Now I really want something nice that I can run and will have a long time that will cut well i.e. have some fun with. Need it for cleanup, firewood and the occasional felling of a tree. I'm just a homeowner with some woods in the back on my property. Most of the logs will be about 10"-18".

Would like to keep it to about $400 if possible, $450 max. Would like to get the most performance for my money as well as reliability, durability. So far, I'm headed towards Dolmar 5105, Husqvarna 545 or 353 (cuz it's not an etech). Echo intrigues me, esp the CS500 but it seems like it's underpowered compared to the others and needs MM to get the most out of it. I won't be doing any complicated mods, just some simple easy stuff that doesn't require a machine shop. What do you think is a killer saw for $450?

Dolmar 5105

Doesn't need any mods(maybe a muff change on the newer ones) and it rips some....

attachment.php

View attachment 297821

Last edited:
For the money the Dolmar 5100 or 5105 can't be beat in my mind. Pro quality saw at almost homeowner saw price. I actually prefer my 5100 over my $ :msp_sad: Husky 550xp. The 5100 cost way less, has much more grunt and is smooth as the 550. Regardless of price the 5100 or 5105 is my pick of the 50cc saw class. It is just that much better since it should be in the discussed price range.

For the money the Dolmar 5100 or 5105 can't be beat in my mind. Pro quality saw at almost homeowner saw price. I actually prefer my 5100 over my $ :msp_sad: Husky 550xp. The 5100 cost way less, has much more grunt and is smooth as the 550. Regardless of price the 5100 or 5105 is my pick of the 50cc saw class. It is just that much better since it should be in the discussed price range.

Thanks, that's kinda the frontrunner. I like the build quality a lot. Even the clips that hold on the cover are metal and not plastic like other brands.

If I could only have 1 saw, I most likely have the Dolmar 5100 or 5105. The just do everything so well. Plenty of power for most stuff, light enough to use all day, smooth as silk, sound and look great, built quality is excellent, price is very good. I could just go on and on about them. Can you tell I like mine? Now I just somehow need to find the love for my 550xp as I do the 5100:msp_wink:

Looking at no more than 50cc roughly. So easy to creep up into the next class, and then the next, and then the next... I started out just wanting something really simple and cheap in the 40cc, $300 range. Now I really want something nice that I can run and will have a long time that will cut well i.e. have some fun with. Need it for cleanup, firewood and the occasional felling of a tree. I'm just a homeowner with some woods in the back on my property. Most of the logs will be about 10"-18".

Would like to keep it to about $400 if possible, $450 max. Would like to get the most performance for my money as well as reliability, durability. So far, I'm headed towards Dolmar 5105, Husqvarna 545 or 353 (cuz it's not an etech). Echo intrigues me, esp the CS500 but it seems like it's underpowered compared to the others and needs MM to get the most out of it. I won't be doing any complicated mods, just some simple easy stuff that doesn't require a machine shop. What do you think is a killer saw for $450?

I have the similar but older Dolmar 5100. It has good power but has a stiff starting pull. There is no compression release or easy-start device. Thus, I now have a Husqvarna 550P, which is excellent, but out of your price range. Within that price range, I would personally choose the new Echo CS500P for easier starting than the Dolmar. It weighs less than the Dolmar, but may not have as much power (have not compared). I've never modded a chainsaw, so can't speak to that possibililty.

I have the similar but older Dolmar 5100. It has good power but has a stiff starting pull. There is no compression release or easy-start device. Thus, I now have a Husqvarna 550P, which is excellent, but out of your price range. Within that price range, I would personally choose the new Echo CS500P for easier starting than the Dolmar. It weighs less than the Dolmar, but may not have as much power (have not compared). I've never modded a chainsaw, so can't speak to that possibililty.

Why not just put a 5105 recoil with E-Z start on your 5100?

Sent from my XT881

Latest posts

Back