About to pull the trigger

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
it's even noticeably below cost on a husky 460

Last edited:
$300 ?!?! that's way UNDER COST for the majority of us dealers(all the ones that can only buy from husky and not a distributor) for a 359. Even in the best bracket (a 100 piece order) that's well under cost.

Does appear to be a huge gap in prices and in costs. Is Husky making the dealers make up the slack for the low costs they give to the big outfits?

Just wondering how or why there would be a gap that huge in a new saw based merely on where you buy it..

OK, I've been lurking here for weeks. I've read posts giving advice until I'm :dizzy:. Here goes.
I can get a Husky 359 with a 20" bar for $395 shipped. I can get a Dolmar 5100S with a 18" bar for $355 shipped. The nearest Husky dealer is about an hour away and the nearest Dolmar dealer (worth anything) is about 35 minutes away but doesn't know much about saws. However, I'm not worried about warranty or service work - I'm capable.
I also considered the MS361 but my local dealer loves the list price and I don't like paying list.
So between the Husky and Dolmar, considering the price difference, or lack thereof - a little advice. I'm cutting firewood - 20" white oak, red oak and hickory - but I like having better tools than I really need.
Oh, I've been using a Stihl 025 but it's time to upgrade.
Thanks,
John :popcorn:
Thanks ...I just wanted to see the difference...
Baileys gets 439.00... 359 and a certain Stihl dealer in Il. gets 499 for the 361..
That is what I was looking at..

He just said his 359 was $395 shipped to him. List price is what he said for a 361 in his area, 361 list in my area is close to $589 + 7 3/4% sales tax and that seems real close to a $200 dollar savings in my book.
http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0geu8_vf...owertools.com/lawnandgarden/chainsaws/359.htm
I'd take a look at a 361 for modding if i could find a new one out the door for $499 and it could outcut the modded 357.
Where are these 361's for $499 out the door?

Last edited:
Hey HiredGun, I didn't mean to put you on the spot:) But I really appreciate hearing good common sense posts, I'm sure that 361 is a real nice saw, It just seems like the 359 gets talked about like it's junk and thats just not the case. :chainsaw: IMO there's a lot of folks who are already stretching their budget when they're thinking about a 359, and sure there are saws with more power, but they always seem to be more expensive:cry: Some folks who are new here might get the impression these saws are no good, and it just aint so!:) For someone cutting a few cord a year it's probably more than they need, but they're getting a real well made saw that with care should last them many years. Now who wouldn't want that:greenchainsaw:
I tried to Ref you but it says I have to spread it around first.
Most of these threads seem to be from folks thinking about their first pro grade saw, and The 359 deserves some good press.
PS around here, there's about $200.00 dollars difference by the time you pay sales tax.
Keep giving sound advice:greenchainsaw:

Last edited:
I realize based on a lot of the posts that the 361 is super poop. But, like I've said, I paid $395 delivered from Northern Tool. My BEST cost on the Stihl, even after I tried to by it through our corporate account was $579.00 plus 9.25% sales tax ($632.56 OTD). That's a $237.56 savings.

Now I will get the Non-EPA muffler off of Bailey's - that'll cost me $37.00. So, in the end, it's a $200.00 savings for a saw that's nearly as good as the 361.

For a guy that wants the "best" and is not a modder, the 361 would have probably been the better purchase. But, I race dirtbikes in the woods and I have never raced a "stock" bike. I always mod my dirtbikes to enhance the performance. So, it's something I'm used to and enjoy. I have also been known to take a less popular dirtbike and mod it into something that works very well for my application - as I plan to do with the 359.

As far as what I've learned about seeking advice on this forum. After the first few responses, I searched based on member name to see how they have advised in the past. I leaned heavily on Hired Gun's advice because he seems to be balanced, logical and less polarized in his advice than some of the other guys. I also valued the fact that he owned both of the saws I was evaluating and provided good advice based on his experience. Some of you guys who throw out accolades for what you like and bash everything else aren't doing anyone any favors.

So, in summary my buying decision was based on:

1. $200.00 savings over 361.
2. Hired Gun's advice based on his experience.
3. The modding potential of the 359 - hey it has 59CC, you gotta be able to get something out of that.
3. Husky is easier to get parts for (on the internet) than Dolmar.
4. Husky used to build dirtbikes (30 years ago, I know) - that's my irrational side.

Oh, I cut with the saw yesterday. I'm impressed (compared to my 025). But, I bet I'll be more impressed after modding:D

John

I realize based on a lot of the posts that the 361 is super poop. But, like I've said, I paid $395 delivered from Northern Tool. My BEST cost on the Stihl, even after I tried to by it through our corporate account was $579.00 plus 9.25% sales tax ($632.56 OTD). That's a $237.56 savings.

Now I will get the Non-EPA muffler off of Bailey's - that'll cost me $37.00. So, in the end, it's a $200.00 savings for a saw that's nearly as good as the 361.

For a guy that wants the "best" and is not a modder, the 361 would have probably been the better purchase. But, I race dirtbikes in the woods and I have never raced a "stock" bike. I always mod my dirtbikes to enhance the performance. So, it's something I'm used to and enjoy. I have also been known to take a less popular dirtbike and mod it into something that works very well for my application - as I plan to do with the 359.

As far as what I've learned about seeking advice on this forum. After the first few responses, I searched based on member name to see how they have advised in the past. I leaned heavily on Hired Gun's advice because he seems to be balanced, logical and less polarized in his advice than some of the other guys. I also valued the fact that he owned both of the saws I was evaluating and provided good advice based on his experience. Some of you guys who throw out accolades for what you like and bash everything else aren't doing anyone any favors.

So, in summary my buying decision was based on:

1. $200.00 savings over 361.
2. Hired Gun's advice based on his experience.
3. The modding potential of the 359 - hey it has 59CC, you gotta be able to get something out of that.
3. Husky is easier to get parts for (on the internet) than Dolmar.
4. Husky used to build dirtbikes (30 years ago, I know) - that's my irrational side.

Oh, I cut with the saw yesterday. I'm impressed (compared to my 025). But, I bet I'll be more impressed after modding:D

John

Having both the 359 and the 361 ( both modded) the price makes all the difference.

With a little work the E-tech muffler can be made to work. With the Non-EPA muffler from Bailey's you will still have to mod it to realize the 359's potential! The E-tech muffler can be modded!

BTW Hired Gun is a good Joe and like you said...............on the ball!!!

Good job on the savings and i know where there is a place to show step by step on woods porting of the 359's. If you ever need that info, just send a pm.

husky

:chainsaw: I got my husky 359 almost 1 year ago ,and have nothing but good news to say about it.it has been dependable and filled my needs as a firewood cutter. i probaly cut about 75-100 pick-up loads of firewood now(full size truck)and also quite a few tri-axle loads of walnut logs too. anyway i am glad that my friends pointed me towards getting this saw and i can't wait to cut more,so gotta go..........Scott

Congrats on the new saw! I believe you'll like it alot:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: Hey Rich is right about modding an etech mufller, not really any need to buy a non cat, check out "359 mods" on the search, he's got some real good pics and description of a modded 359 muffler, I liked it so much that I did my own copy of his mod on my etech muffler, works great. And you'll save the $37.00 dollars.
Happy cutting and be safe!:greenchainsaw:

Having both the 359 and the 361 ( both modded) the price makes all the difference.

With a little work the E-tech muffler can be made to work. With the Non-EPA muffler from Bailey's you will still have to mod it to realize the 359's potential! The E-tech muffler can be modded!

BTW Hired Gun is a good Joe and like you said...............on the ball!!!

Our stihl distributor frowns on discounting chain saws (but seems to be fine wtih cut off saws)

like I've said, I paid $395 delivered from Northern Tool. My BEST cost on the Stihl, even after I tried to by it through our corporate account was $579.00 plus 9.25% sales tax ($632.56 OTD). That's a $237.56 savings.

John

That kind of savings would have made it a easy choice for us homeowner users.

Congrats on the new saw! I believe you'll like it alot:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: Hey Rich is right about modding an etech mufller, not really any need to buy a non cat, check out "359 mods" on the search, he's got some real good pics and description of a modded 359 muffler, I liked it so much that I did my own copy of his mod on my etech muffler, works great. And you'll save the $37.00 dollars.
Happy cutting and be safe!:greenchainsaw:[/QUOTE
Unless the saw is new and you want to keep the warranty! That's why I went with getting another muffler just in case cheap insurance. But your point is still valid!

I have to admit that I also bought a new muffler so I could keep the original, but after trimming limiter caps,(and the fact that I bought it on-line) truth is they probably wouldn't warranty it any way.:laugh:
If you should happen to screw up the mod somehow, you'd already have another muffler;)
Have fun and be safe!

Latest posts

Back