Ace Hardware and Sthil

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

motosierra

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Ace Hardware is carring Sthil saws and other and Sthil garden supplies. They want 610 bucks for a 361.... is that a good price?....they also are selling 3/8" chain sharping files for 30 bucks for a packet of 3 !...

The files are wayyyyy out of line...cost wise...and they don't have the 7/32" that I use..

Last edited:
Ace Hardware is carring Sthil saws and other and Sthil garden supplies. They want 610 bucks for a 361.... is that a good price?....they also are selling 3/8" chain sharping files for 30 bucks for a packet of 3 !...

What length of bar does that come with, and how many chains? We're selling 361s here for $619.95 now with a 24/25" bar, two chains, and a six-pack of mix.

Do they have 13/64" files?

Should be able to buy a 361 almost anywhere for 550-575 right now, times are tuff.

30.00 for a three pack of files, that must be a pricing error. We sell that same pack for 5.99 and we're high on em...

I recently bought a 361 at my local ACE Hardware, price was $599.
The 3-pack of Stihl 13/64 files was $4.95.

They have an Ace Rewards card, one of those savings cards that all the stores have nowadays (not a credit card). You can sign up at time of purchase. It get's you a 5% rebate. Not bad seeing the Stihls hardly ever get discounted.

What length of bar does that come with, and how many chains? We're selling 361s here for $619.95 now with a 24/25" bar, two chains, and a six-pack of mix.

Doubt they have any 13/64" but I will check tomorrow on the bar length and if there are any extra chains involved....now that I think about it...it had a bar and chain on it...may have been longer than 22" ...could have been a 24"..don't know...will check for sure tomorrow....need to go back anyway.... I like it because it is much closer to my house than HD..

Last edited:
..will also check the spec's on the files....I've had my eye on some 7/32" Pferd 1 dozen spiral cut standard length 8" high quality Chrome Cut files manufactured in Germany for 11.95.. Ace makes these look like a hell of a bargain..

I recently bought a 361 at my local ACE Hardware, price was $599.
The 3-pack of Stihl 13/64 files was $4.95.

They have an Ace Rewards card, one of those savings cards that all the stores have nowadays (not a credit card). You can sign up at time of purchase. It get's you a 5% rebate. Not bad seeing the Stihls hardly ever get discounted.

The exact price on the 361 was 609.95 and the 3/8" package of 3 files was $29.95..I commented to them about the price of the files and they just stood there with thier hands in thier pockets..

Last edited:
.I question them about the price of the files and they just stood there with thier hands in thier pockets..

So, is that somebody you want to plunk down 600 bucks with?

And do they service on site? OR ship them across town?

If they don't service them right there, find a dealer that does, and has a good local reputation. Pay more now, and be glad you did later.

If they don't service them right there, find a dealer that does, and has a good local reputation. Pay more now, and be glad you did later.

Nope...I'll pay 50 bucks for a 61 ..rebuild it if necessary..or hypothetically speaking would probably upgrade to a 268/272 and have way more power than the 59cc/361 with all its high velocity, high volume air flow and all that stuff.

Do not think those guys know what a cc is much less how to tune a saw...so maybe they have a contract with a local shop...I would think that would be the most cost effective..

Was just commenting on the saw because there has been so much hype on AS about it....turns out it is 59 cc and weighs close to the saws I mentioned above. But it probably belongs to the new generation of saws like the 346 and the 362/365/271/372 series saws...which are all great saws.

Wow. I get Stihl files for $1.30 each at the new Stihl shop, which is a big John Deere dealership. New 361 I saw there on the shelf was $610 with a 20 inch E bar on it.

JJ..
...you know they are not going to have those 13/64th in. files.....you just want to see how high I can jump...well, I'll tell not to high now-a-days...hahahha

They had 3/8's and one other size.. I'll eat my boots if it is a 13/64's..hahaha and if by some amazing fluke of fate...they are. I will also buy them all..and send you a dozen...

Last edited:

Yup. +1 15-20 bucks won't mean a thing three years from now.

If you want to save money, go to Northern Tool and buy a "Power Horse" chainsaw. Six months later, you will fully understand the meaning of the word "D-OH!!"

The exact price on the 361 was 609.95 and the 3/8" package of 3 files was $29.95..I commented to them about the price of the files and they just stood there with thier hands in thier pockets..

Wow ! 3 packs of files are 3.95$ around these parts. And people gripe about them at that price.

Stihl has been setting up the Ace stores so that they have stores with better business hours. The problem is that they won't all be saw junkies like some of the small hole in the wall dealers like myself.

You would think that just being a hardware, they would know that three small files don't cost $30.00!!

It is very tough to JUST be a saw shop in most areas of the US, so Stihl seems to be seeking more places that are already there and paying the bills. For them, it is just extra profit. Some of them may have VERY good service, and some may not.

The Ace in a local town near me has been selling Stihl for as long as I can remember.
I don't think it's a bad idea on Sthils part. The more people that have access to your product the more product you will sell. IMO.

I think the files are a pricing error. I just brought a pack of 3 from the Stihl dealer for around 6 dollars.

My local Ace Hardware here in the Shenandoah Valley has been selling Stihl Products for 6 or 8 years. I buy 3 pack of 13/64 files at $3.95 per pack. And a 361 can be had for about $575.00 with 20"B&C. They have a wonderful service as well. Think they have a tech. that is "Gold", if im right, the highest that Stihl trains. They have always treated me well, with no problems what so ever.

Wait until Ace has one of their bag sales. (20% off anything that'll fit into a shopping bag). Buy the powerhead only.

Latest posts

Back