adivce on a new saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
heh, I love asking questions that there's never a truely 'right' answer for, and light up the favorites debate.

Thanks everybody for the feedback. It does help in making the decision to hear real-world reviews. I plan on heading up to the property this weekend, and taking a more detailed inventory of what's on there and how big before I purchase anything.

when I make that jump, I'll definitely let ya'll know, so you can either praise me or flame me :cheers:

thanks again

The majority of these people are to classy to flame anyone, but no one here is above I TOLD YOU SO. If you make a bad choice my suggestion... suffer in silence! Pan the bad choice in a review to prevent others from making your mistake.

Amicks (one of our sponsors) is selling this saw with 20" bar for $389.95.

I purchased my Husqvarna 359 for $420. Had to spend extra $50 for non cat muffler. If you can can get non E-tech from Bailey's (another sponsor) it would also get a vote from me.

I'd rather have a 5100, and have ordered one for the wife (Witchy)......

The MS361 is without a doubt one hell of a saw. Is it better than stock husky 359 yes, is it better than a 357 maybe, I'm just not brand loyal, and for the money the smaller Husqvarna saws are hard to beat.

Anyway here is a picture of some black cherry I cut up with my 361 today.
attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
The MS361 is without a doubt one hell of a saw. Is it better than stock husky 359 yes, is it better than a 357 maybe, I'm just not brand loyal, and for the money the smaller Husqvarna saws are hard to beat. ...

I firmly believe the MS361 is a better allround saw than the 357xp, if not for anything else, it has an inboard clutch, and is a bit lighter.

The dyno tests tell that it has more max power and more max torque also, but that picture is freaquently contested.
It doesn't have the inherent weaknesses that the older two-channel Stihl designs have.

I would go with the jreds/husky about a 56cc. depens on if you like the sraight handle on the Jreds, or the angled handle on the husky. Always buy a little more saw than you need. Eventhough you can never have a big enough saw.

husky 338xp 51 55
jonsered cs2165

My vote is for a Stihl MS 361 with 18". This is an excellent all around chainsaw. Good luck and please reply back with which saw you purchased.

sure.. my 036, 440, 660, 880 have real inherent weaknesses:monkey:

You forgot the 260 and 460.......:D :D

I don't have a clue on the 660 and 880 - there have been too few treads here, really comparing them to the comparable Huskys.

However there are lots of such treads on the smaller saws, enough to see a relatively clear picture......

That picture tells me that the older Stihls doen't perform as well as the power and torque ratings indicate, compared to the Husky xps.... :yoyo: :yoyo:

What other reason could there be, except the engine design?????

Last edited:
No I didn't - I don't currently own a 260 or 460...

hmmm.. you are way out of your depth here, almost up to your ankles...:laugh: :laugh:

Last edited:
I firmly believe the MS361 is a better allround saw than the 357xp, if not for anything else, it has an inboard clutch, and is a bit lighter.

The dyno tests tell that it has more max power and more max torque also, but that picture is freaquently contested.
It doesn't have the inherent weaknesses that the older two-channel Stihl designs have.

with all of the inherent weaknesses, how does Stihl end up selling so many saws?

I would love to see some sales numbers for the 044/MS440 vs. the 272/372:D

Back