adivce on a new saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No I didn't - I don't currently own a 260 or 460...

hmmm.. you are way out of your depth here, almost up to your ankles...:laugh: :laugh:

Yep, but read the treads on the issue from before we both joined here, and a bit after, and I think you will see what i mean.........:greenchainsaw:

There have to be a reason, and that is the most plausible one, and the only one really suggested at all.......:help:

Btw, after I joined here, I made quite an effort to "brainpick" the Husky advocates (then) here on the issue, and that clue were all I got out of it (+ I got mighty unpopular among them)......:givebeer: :givebeer:

Last edited:
well, after reading some more and checking prices, I have to admit I'm rather attracted to the Dolmar 5100s. price is attractive, and will allow me to get the protective clothing w/o breaking my bank. I do like the idea of the MS 361 C-Q with the extra brake, but I don't think I can afford that jewel.

Chaps:
I was thinking about the chaps listed down the page on http://home.insightbb.com/~ss/snssaw.htm. Any thoughts?

Boots: man, there are so many choices here, any recommendations on boot height, COMFORT, brand, type of protection - steel toe, and I've seen there are some composite-type boots out there, are they worth their salt?

The Rest: head, eye, ear, gloves, are given...anything else I'm missing?

Thanks folks, it's been really helpful to find this site. :cheers:

Heads up phendyr; you go to he11 for listing non sponsor addresses. Better to pm.

my apologies, I actually saw those chaps in a post while searching and didn't think anything of it. :newbie:

I have watched the labonville video, and they are on the short list for sure.
I will take a closer look at the rest of the sponsors as well

well, after reading some more and checking prices, I have to admit I'm rather attracted to the Dolmar 5100s. price is attractive, and will allow me to get the protective clothing w/o breaking my bank.

You won't regret purchasing the 5100s....Been using one on our 11 acres for the past year and am very impressed, including my Stihl toting buddies who laughed about the 5100s originally until they (saw) it in action:blob2:

Dolmar has officially won me over:biggrinbounce2:

narrowing it down....

well stopped at the one Dolmar dealer I could find here, and well, I got that gut feeling that I didn't really care for em...basically flipped a brochure at me and told me I could call if I had questions.....:confused: stopped at the stihl dealer and the guy took the time to walk over by all the saws ask me what I was gonna do with it, my experience, and made a few recommendations and pointed out differences between models.

Felt a lot better about the stihl dealer than the other, and I appreciated the fact they took the time to talk. now, he recommended basically the ms270, a good lighter saw with decent power. The 280 has 4.7cc more and 1/2lb heavier, but I guess that intellicarb is a new feature this year? is it proven? or is just more electronics that can go wrong? I figure saws have been cuttin for years w/o it, it's not necessary, but if it's a good thing, I'd consider the 280...I just don't know what people-in-the-know think of it. maybe they were just trying to sell me a saw they've had on the shelf for quite a while, I dunno....

so I guess I'm leaning towards the Stihl line, 270 series....good price, and what seems to be a good dealer for after the sale. Your thoughts? I'm not totally turned away from the Dolmar, just kinda stuck with indecsion....

thanx

Last edited:
I have a MS270 and I'm pleased with it overall. I'm just a homeowner though that only cuts a few cords a year with it. I've only used it in Oak's and Hickory thus far in the 12-22" range but don't have any real complaints about it. The Pro's here might tell you it's junk for whatever reason but I'd recommend mine for what I use it for. I believe though, that the MS280 has slightly more power at the same weight as the MS270.

well stopped at the one Dolmar dealer I could find here, and well, I got that gut feeling that I didn't really care for em...basically flipped a brochure at me and told me I could call if I had questions.....:confused: stopped at the stihl dealer and the guy took the time to walk over by all the saws ask me what I was gonna do with it, my experience, and made a few recommendations and pointed out differences between models.

Felt a lot better about the stihl dealer than the other, and I appreciated the fact they took the time to talk. now, he recommended basically the ms270, a good lighter saw with decent power. The 280 has 4.7cc more and 1/2lb heavier, but I guess that intellicarb is a new feature this year? is it proven? or is just more electronics that can go wrong? I figure saws have been cuttin for years w/o it, it's not necessary, but if it's a good thing, I'd consider the 280...I just don't know what people-in-the-know think of it. maybe they were just trying to sell me a saw they've had on the shelf for quite a while, I dunno....

so I guess I'm leaning towards the Stihl line, 270 series....good price, and what seems to be a good dealer for after the sale. Your thoughts? I'm not totally turned away from the Dolmar, just kinda stuck with indecsion....

thanx

Whoaa Nellie! You're leaning towards a 270 over a 5100s??? A decent dealer is nice, but if you're even a little mechanically inclined, you can keep a saw running yourself. Saws are meant to productive AND fun. There should be one big wide grin underneath all that PPE. Choose joy over satisfaction.

At work, I use both the 361 with a 20 inch bar and the 357XP with an 18 inch bar on a daily basis. I strongly prefer the 361 over the 357 for a number of reasons. In the same piece of wood, the 361 will easily out cut the 357 any day of the week even with the longer bar. I like the weight and balance of the 361 better, although I guess that is more personal preference. I own a 5100 with an 18 inch bar and feel that there is no comparable saw in the 50cc class. In fact I bet it might just keep up with a 357. My boss just bought a 260 Pro and it is a great saw but the 5100 blows it out of the water in every category except weight. If I had to buy one saw and one saw only it would definitely be a 361. That said I do not own a 361. Instead I opted for a 440 magnum and a 5100 that complement each other nicely. The only downside to that combination is that I have to go to two different dealers when I need parts. I personally would never consider buying a mid sized saw that was not a pro saw. Spend the extra money, you will be glad once you get it in the field.

thanx

Do a search on line from Dolmar's site. There is several not far away. Dolmar seems to have a few dealers that aren't very knowledgeable. you may have to weed thru them and find a good one. The 5100 would be well worth it. You should find one for less than 400.:D

Take Dad's Advice

Now that you've got all this wonderful advice, go back and read your original post, in which you said "my experience with saws is just from using my dad's old stihl that has been to hell and back but is still going strong" I can't think of a better recommendation than that.

I'm 77yrs old, 6'0" and weigh 160lbs. You will notice in my signature block that I own two Stihl 361's and they will never be sold; my son will inherit them both, even if I live to 97. With your size and weight, you will hardly know the difference between a good 260 Pro and a wonderful 361. When the dust settles, a year from now, you will have forgotten how much you actually paid for the saw; but, you will never forget how that saw performs. Bite the bullet, be nice to yourself and get a Stihl 361 from that nice dealer who will take care of you and that saw forever. :cheers:

my apologies, I actually saw those chaps in a post while searching and didn't think anything of it. :newbie:

I have watched the labonville video, and they are on the short list for sure.
I will take a closer look at the rest of the sponsors as well

I have been sent to the corner myself... not into corners!

As far as your boot choices.

There are alot of boots out there. I have had White's boots. They sure are nice. But for 100 dollars less , I am on my 2nd pair of Wesco's in 10 years. Great boots and even better arch support. But they are climbing boots. I have never used any of the other boots. I am sure Wesco's other footwear is just as good..

Last edited:
Now that you've got all this wonderful advice, go back and read your original post, in which you said "my experience with saws is just from using my dad's old stihl that has been to hell and back but is still going strong" I can't think of a better recommendation than that.

I'm 77yrs old, 6'0" and weigh 160lbs. You will notice in my signature block that I own two Stihl 361's and they will never be sold; my son will inherit them both, even if I live to 97. With your size and weight, you will hardly know the difference between a good 260 Pro and a wonderful 361. When the dust settles, a year from now, you will have forgotten how much you actually paid for the saw; but, you will never forget how that saw performs. Bite the bullet, be nice to yourself and get a Stihl 361 from that nice dealer who will take care of you and that saw forever. :cheers:

You hit it on the nose.He already knows that the Stihl is going to outlast all others so he should just go and purchase one.:rock:

In retrospect, if I knew at the time that I would rely more and more on wood for heat as oil prices soar and my cord consumption may double in the forecoming years I think I may have opted for the 361 as well. No complaints of yet on my 270 but I can see myself in the market for one somewhere down the road.

This is quite normal that chainsaw freaks are talking for a big saws to eviryone here. In reality, homeowner can do with 50cc saw all his wood cuttings. Here I agree wihh NapalmDeath that nothing wrong with MS270. Smooth saw, great AV. This is a little nonsence that some are talking about easiness of saw repairing of pro saws because who is buying car, TVset, washmachine or other things by this criteria;)

P1010070-1.jpg
:cheers:

Last edited:
heh thanks folks for the continued advice...

talked with my dad today and I guess he's in the market for a new saw as well....he looked his up and it's a roughly 35-36 years old stihl, an '037' perhaps?..anyway, he knows the dealer a little bit in our hometown so he's stopping by there and talk shop a little bit, maybe we can get a two-fer deal :rock:

so hopefully this weekend I'll be the owner of a new stihl...270 or 361, I'll be happy with it. plus I prefer givin my money to somebody in my hometown

thanks again for the advice folks, looking forward to gettin cuttin!

heh thanks folks for the continued advice...

talked with my dad today and I guess he's in the market for a new saw as well....he looked his up and it's a roughly 35-36 years old stihl, an '037' perhaps?..anyway, he knows the dealer a little bit in our hometown so he's stopping by there and talk shop a little bit, maybe we can get a two-fer deal :rock:

so hopefully this weekend I'll be the owner of a new stihl...270 or 361, I'll be happy with it. plus I prefer givin my money to somebody in my hometown

thanks again for the advice folks, looking forward to gettin cuttin!

Good job with keeping it in your hometown and with STIHL.

Latest posts

Back