adivce on a new saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
... I'm 77yrs old, 6'0" and weigh 160lbs. You will notice in my signature block that I own two Stihl 361's and they will never be sold; my son will inherit them both, even if I live to 97. With your size and weight, you will hardly know the difference between a good 260 Pro and a wonderful 361. When the dust settles, a year from now, you will have forgotten how much you actually paid for the saw; but, you will never forget how that saw performs. Bite the bullet, be nice to yourself and get a Stihl 361 from that nice dealer who will take care of you and that saw forever. :cheers:

Very good advice!

Here in Stihls 2007 catalog now all saw models are listed
Its interesting how some models are described

MS230 - very good power/weight ratio. Ideal for sawing firewood and tree care, felling up to 30cm trees.

MS240 - extremely durable engine. Suited for care of young forests, and for firewood

MS250 - excellent power/weight ratio. Ideal for sawing firewood and tree care, felling up to 30cm trees, and for woodworking purposes.

MS260 - durable engine, for thinning of trees and for fellig works in small diameter trees-forests.

MS270- ideal combination of power and comfort. Low vibration level. Ideal shape of handles and position of weigth centre. Carburetor with acceleration pump.

MS280I - powerfull saw of a newest generation. Intellingent engine management, low vibration, ideal handles and weight centre position.

MS290 - very strong and longliving saw for agriculture and firewood, and for felling mid-diameter trees

MS310 - high reving saw with very good p/w ratio. Reliable and strong, suitable for firewood and felling of mid-diam-trees.

MS341 - very strong saw with long lifespan. Excellent p/w ratio, low vibration. Ideal for felling works for foresters.

MS361 - very strong saw with long lifespan satisfying highest saws standards. Excellent p/w ratio, low vibration. Ideal for felling works for foresters. Dynamic acceleration and high engine rev-s.

MS390 - high power, classical design. Very good for firewood and mid-diam-wood.

MS440 - saw for extremal loads and demanding works. Good for large-diam-wood felling and processing.

MS441 - Modern saw with very low vibration and with high power 2-mix engine. For forestry and agriculture. Good p/w ratio and saw drivig-directing properties. Very good for large diam. wood

Last edited:
Not specified tree diam for MS270/280...
A little confusing is that MS390 is described as a saw with classical design (plastic) and MS230 as a saw with good p/w ratio.
There are some other wierd things also, like MS460 is saw with large power for harvesting of mid diam forests and for processing large diam wood (sems like it is less saw than MS 441).

Not specified tree diam for MS270/280...
A little confusing is that MS390 is described as a saw with classical design (plastic) and MS230 as a saw with good p/w ratio.
There are some other wierd things also, like MS460 is saw with large power for harvesting of mid diam forests and for processing large diam wood (sems like it is less saw than MS 441).

It is for a large part BS marketing hype anyway, with some truth blended in - they have to make them all sound like good saws, you know....

...."classic" means old design, in this context....

...nothing to worry about.....:cheers: :biggrinbounce2:

and the winner is.........................

Just came back from the dealer with a ............

:love1:

Was standing there looking at the 280, and the 361, holding them, getting a feel for their weight, etc...could tell a difference between the two as far as weight goes, the 280 felt like I could throw it around all day, the 361 had a little more heft to it, but I liked it. My left brain was looking at the price tags and saying 280, but the right brain was reminding me of how my old man would build everything he made 10x stronger than it needed to be, to make it last, he bought things the same way...so I went with the 361 and an 18" bar. more saw than I will probably need for some time, and would have been perfectly happy with the 280, guess I have that Tim-allen syndrom *evil monkey laugh*

Last edited:
Money well spent. Sometimes I think I should have spent the extra $200 and got the 361 myself. You will never second guess yourself now, and will have that saw for life.

That was me, OK - I was too busy and excited over the saw, to think properly.........
:laugh: :laugh: :heart: :heart:

This is bound to happen occationally when we share the computer.

SW,

Everything you do here is OK! :)

I just wanted to make sure that no one made a mistake and thought it was ST's saw. :dizzy: I'm just defending your honor .... er ... saws. :clap:

Back