Advanced Falling Cuts

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's it. Not so much jumping, but it will get the butt on the ground faster, when you have short ground out in front.

Can help keep breaking down when ground is uneven some. Get the butt on the ground and a lot of the weight is down before the rest hits and breaks up some of the momentun. I can see this but I'm not explaining it right or in a way to make any sense, maybe someone can take over for me until I can get my brain to finger coordination figured out.

Owl

That's it. Not so much jumping, but it will get the butt on the ground faster, when you have short ground out in front.

Can help keep breaking down when ground is uneven some. Get the butt on the ground and a lot of the weight is down before the rest hits and breaks up some of the momentun. I can see this but I'm not explaining it right or in a way to make any sense, maybe someone can take over for me until I can get my brain to finger coordination figured out.

Owl
You said it right. A snipe can save out brittle wood on short ground. If you do it right the butt just kinda slides off the stump nice and easy and doesn't get that whipping motion started that breaks things all to hell.

You can also use a snipe to roll the butt to miss a stump or rock in the lay. The top will still go where you aimed it.
Randy,
when you get a minute, can you draw it?

I'm being serious for a minute; I understand what y'all are saying, but the pictures clear things up even more.

How You get your rx situated; different makes me crazy

i'll try.......Heath ya put a second smaller notch opposite the first but at a slightly different angle so that the tree rolls a little bit as it follows the notches. so if you made a humbolt then the snipe is in the log, conventional the snipe is in the stump.

i'll try.......Heath ya put a second smaller notch opposite the first but at a slightly different angle so that the tree rolls a little bit as it follows the notches. so if you made a humbolt then the snipe is in the log, conventional the snipe is in the stump.
Thank You

You said it right. A snipe can save out brittle wood on short ground. If you do it right the butt just kinda slides off the stump nice and easy and doesn't get that whipping motion started that breaks things all to hell.

Is this method called the "swanson"?

Swanson is just a really ****ing big humboldt more like Gypo's first vid, works similar to a snipe though, getting the butt on the ground quick like, unfortunately it tends to let the tree build up some speed so it sort of counter acts the idea of getting the butt down fast by making the rest of it haul ass.

A more shallow humboldt with a snipe will control decent to some degree and then let the butt slide off all gentle and stuff.

I'll generally put my snipes on the stump side, coarse I have no idea as to why just makes prettier logs.

simplest and easiest thing is to use a dutchmen block, take of chunk out of the face chunk stick in the face opposite where you want the tree to go, I.E. if you want it to go left, stick the block on the right.

The soft dutch is more or less the same thing, except you leave the "block" as part of the stump, and make a series of cuts to help keep the tree moving, lets it sort of roll around nice and smooth.

Then the standard dutchmen block is just a mismatch of the face cuts, where as the gun cut is deeper then the slope cut, creating a step. Most times I'll purposefully cut off the off side from the face severing the hold wood on that side before I even start the back cut.

For steering a dutch block is usually left on the one side of the stump.

A kerf dutch is used to make the tree hop a bit and clear the ground quickly, its just a mismatched cut that is even across the stump, that step between the hold wood and the slope cut on the face acts like a speed bump. This should absolutely not be tried on any chair prone timber, it can cause a stall which will then cause a chair...

The siswheel, is a basically a modified block cut, but focused on one side of the stump, the idea being to maximize hold wood on the side you want to turn too, if done correctly they can and will pull the roots out of the ground. I try to place my sis's about middle of a root swell, or a little infront. Make them as tall as you want, I've seen pics of some that went from waist high to nearly digging in the dirt.

All these tricks are just that tricks, once a guy figures them out they work fairly good, but its like playing poker, you have to play the hand your dealt, trees do fight back, and gravity is a fickle *****. DO NOT count on any of these if you plan on working near any high value targets.

Some good folks to look for on YOUTUBE would be hotsaws101, and Tarzantree, both former/current? members here. You can also go back through the falling pics thread and pick up whats left, some pictures are missing.
It seems to me like it would be hard to judge how much these techniques will turn a tree. Can you tell exactly where it will go or is it more "well, it's going left of where I gunned it" and hope for the best?

Swanson is just a really ****ing big humboldt more like Gypo's first vid, works similar to a snipe though, getting the butt on the ground quick like, unfortunately it tends to let the tree build up some speed so it sort of counter acts the idea of getting the butt down fast by making the rest of it haul ass.

A more shallow humboldt with a snipe will control decent to some degree and then let the butt slide off all gentle and stuff.

I'll generally put my snipes on the stump side, coarse I have no idea as to why just makes prettier logs.
yes......thats why i make a pretty steep humbolt. in some of these selections i want it to fall fast to get on the ground and not be propped up by brush/trash saplings. plus the splittyer wood does better with steep. pine not so steep usualy.

little bit of cross yer fingers and hope... but to some extent you have fairly good control, unless you're trying to turn them more then say 90 degrees, then things get interesting.

Its mostly about watching the top, and knowing where to cut the hold wood and when. The face cuts are your way of aiming and a little of control. Normally speaking you initial gun cut is the one the aims the tree, but when you don't match them up the slope cut becomes the aiming device (a large reason why tree don't go where planned is failure to match cuts or clean out the face).

If a tree is going to far past where you want it you can power through the near side of the hold wood and get it to stop turning, or at least slow down a bit, if its not going far enough, then you power into the off side. Either way it requires you to sit tight next to the stump longer than is strictly wise, once that bastard is on its way and not going to hurt anything important, its time to run... just using the hold wood thickness is more than enough for most timber, face em where you intend to send em and "help" em along with the back cut, but you have to look up, don't get so focused on what the saw is doing, it will be fine, pay attention to the hold wood but keep an eye on the top, the top is your hood ornament... line er up with the white line and keep it there... only keep looking at the road... get it?

Back