Advanced hydraulics dual pump splitter build diesel mower conversion

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
e427f74db1d7cb72d0bb7a9b17882f0e.jpg

Winch mount made.

88610d86696a757ab45a574b93ad74fe.jpg

19ff6a31ef4e5113e94f22244d110c01.jpg

Was thinking I should slow down the return stroke of the large shaft cylinder. From looking at the flow of auto cycle valve I could put a check valve and flow divider on the D port of the auto cycle valve. 2.? Seconds is pretty fast for 30 inch stroke. Plus slow down the amount of oil going to the dump valve.

Seems backwards wanting to slow the splitter down.
Was that a calculated 2 second return stroke? I only ask, as everything I've calculated was always a tad slower in actuality. My return stroke was to be 2 seconds.....but I think I know a couple factors in why it's a little slower. I do like the quickness of mine, it's out of the way so I can grab the next piece off the log lift. Might be different in your operation. A quick return might even make the auto valve seem like you don't need it, since it will return very quickly. Just saying. Can't wait to see it done or a test run!

2.4 sec return calculated. Moving with compressed air for testing is fast. 12.3 inches per second calculated. Would like to be 9 to 10 inches per second. Cheaper to just use a flow restrictor but more heat.

Mine is 1.91 calculated on the retract. I think the port diameter on the cylinder is a big limiting factor. Granted is slower than 1.91 seconds, but I like the quick return.

Was thinking I should slow down the return stroke of the large shaft cylinder. From looking at the flow of auto cycle valve I could put a check valve and flow divider on the D port of the auto cycle valve. 2.? Seconds is pretty fast for 30 inch stroke. Plus slow down the amount of oil going to the dump valve.

Seems backwards wanting to slow the splitter down.
not necessarily....depends on the splitter....

My cooler is before my filter, otherwise the filter gauge would show there's high pressure on it. The cooler will restrict flow, but that's how they are suppose to work, so they can cool the oil. Just to save you some headache later on. :)

Thinking I will only run one pump through the cooler. The other system will go to tank after filter. I did get some test ports to test the pressure at different locations. For temperature I will use a Fluke IR temp meter with picture display. Now working on fabrication the front jack, operator driving chair, valve mounts, and instrument panel. Then off to paint then assembly and hose making. Hoping to work on wiring while parts are gone for painting.

One pump should be good enough through the cooler, as both pumps are pulling from the same tank. What are you getting or using for a cooler?

Ahhh ok. So you are cooling whether you need to or not. Might be worth trying to put in a bypass with some valves controlled by a temperature controller. It'd let your oil get warmed up and such. Particularly in cold weather.

Just my 2 cents here, but winch needs to be on the crane. Either the backside of main pole for clearance, or top of upper boom if you dont care.
Down by the tire it will affect your swivel, and believe me u swivel it alot.
Just put a gantry crane on mine.
Find u dont use the boom angle piston, its dangerously fast, u set it for reach, and use the winch.
So cool, let some cable out, set tongs on a piece, drag it over and up, set it down, half it, hook tongs to one half, hang it off the side, work the other half, then lower second and split it.
Remote control would be sweet, but one more thing to loose or break.

I dont know the intended use of the winch so I wont comment on that. My crane has a fixed mounted jib. No cyl to raise or lower. The winch is mounted on top of the crane so when the booms turns, the winch turns with it. I made A 20ft extention cord for the winch controls. Since I like to pull the splitter up next to the wood being split, I can usually reach anything I need to.

Down by the tire it will affect your swivel, and believe me u swivel it alot.

I thought the same thing about the swivel. But I did not like the look of putting the winch on top and no room behind. What you can not see is the second pulley to help the swivel. The boom is at the paint shop so I had to draw it on paper.

The raise cylinder is for lowering the boom so I may put the splitter in an enclosed trailer for travel to Charity Cuts and GTG's

c8c2ed06d338bbefe7a2c62a4207001a.jpg

Not sure I like the setup the way it is drawn. It would seem to me that if the winch is mounted someplace other than the boom, that if you try to swing the boom, then the winch cable would interfer. Also, the way it is drawn, if you try to raise the boom with the cyl, it will also be pulling against the winch and result in both the boom raising and the cable being retracted at the same time. I must be missing something in how the winch is actually setup. Just looking at this the way it is drawn, and keeping the winch mounted other than on the boom, I think I would make it so the winch cable actually traveled up the side of the mast and then out the jib. This would double as a centering device as when winching a log, the boom would naturally tend to swing in the direction of the log. Once the log is lifted off the ground, then the tension on the cable would swing the round toward center and onto the log table. Even with this method, making 180degree swings from center would be difficult as the winch cable would always be in the way. 90 degree swings from center would probably be ok. And now that i think about it, even with my boom mounted winch, 360 degree swings arent possible because of the battery cables. I might get 180 degrees in either direction, but cant think of a single time I have needed to swing the boom that far.

Using winch rope. No cable. Rope is easy to carry. Can't run rope through the mast. Once the boom is up it will stay up. Let the winch do the lifting. This is all in theory. Will have to mod once field tested.

Thats the problem with current setup, its going to self align the pulley with winch...possibly hitting the operator.
Mine swings on its own if the ground isnt level. A fairly level site is preferable.
Im just saying when you have a load hanging, the line is going to fight u, swinging it to the table.
Also your pulley arrangement is going to be cumbersome. With this style gantry it is preferable to swing the boom with the cable, your dangling pulley setup is going to resist that. My pulleys r welded to top of boom.
Im not trying to be a know it all, me and my.buddy have similar setups and just letting you know how it seems to work out in actual use.

Latest posts

Back