Aftermarket MS390/039 Engine Kit Review

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Howdy,
If everything goes as planned (yeah right), we should be shipping them in 6 to 8 weeks. Manufacturers suggested price is $200. We're going to have our regular retail price at about $175, and the introductory/sale price will be at $150. The item number will be SBN 390.

Regards
Gregg

Pretty cool. Any plans to alternatively/optionally offer that new 039 top end at a reasonable NWP-type price as well?

You'd sell a helluva lot of those, too.

Poge

Howdy,
We will have all the components available individually. The cylinder and piston will sell for $100 like our other kits. The crankshafts will be about $100 like the other aftermarket ones we have.
Regards
Gregg

I have a B-I-L that has a toasted ms390 that he doesnt want to repair(thinks its too heavy),I may need to check into this.Although,it probably needs a new piston and jug only,since it does not have many hours on it.

Ron

Howdy,
We will have all the components available individually. The cylinder and piston will sell for $100 like our other kits. The crankshafts will be about $100 like the other aftermarket ones we have.
Regards
Gregg

So now the big question is...

What took ya so long???:hmm3grin2orange:

You just raised the stock of many, many boxes of 029 carcasses for sure.

I would like to see how this happens. The 4 bolts that hold that together will not fit on the block and tighten up without being on the saw. Unless they are going to install shorter bolts on it and you'll have to remove them before installing.

I've asked the same question. However, if you've ever pulled one of these engine apart, you have to knock the bottom plate off. If the sealant is cured, it holds fast. I'm guessing that's their plan. Gregg? BTW, thanks for dropping in!

Howdy,
I havent had my hands on a final product yet. (my samples were unassembled) The plan was to use 4 seperate assembly screws that would fit down in the recesses of the casting webs on the engine pan. They only need to hold for testing, and shipping purposes. Once the short block is installed, the 4 main bolts do all of the work. I don't see any reason to remove the assembly screws after installation.
Regards
Gregg

Is this basically a clone of the 390 cylinder, or is the design different?

Good to see its finally here

But whats the go with the transfers??????
attachment.php

Honestly, I'm not sure what a MS390 cylinder looks like. I thought those looked odd too.

It looks like they've added a transfer bar, which could be a good thing. Anyone whose taken one of these engines apart after a lot of hours of run time
can attest to how the pistons wear in those.

Last edited:
grande dog can i pre order one now? i have a list of stuff about ready to be ordered.... would love to test one of these out migh actually make one of these saws have good power to weight :hmm3grin2orange:

I don't know. Looks like good for volume, but I wonder about transfer velocity. Like JJ said, the pistons always wear on the sides adjacent to the transfer divider.

grande dog can i pre order one now? i have a list of stuff about ready to be ordered.... would love to test one of these out migh actually make one of these saws have good power to weight :hmm3grin2orange:

Howdy,
No pictures, or description yet but, you can put it in the cart. I put down a note for March availability but, I'm hoping to do better than that.
http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=SBN+390&catID=
Regards
Gregg

would love to test one of these out migh actually make one of these saws have good power to weight :hmm3grin2orange:

I'm gonna tell SawTroll you said those evil words!!!! :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

Latest posts

Back