Aftermarket MS390/039 Engine Kit Review

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wonder why they removed the divider?
IMG8447-M.jpg

Maybe a guy could fill in the corner at the top of the transfer port to angle things into the chamber a little, and reduce some volume at the same time? In a perfect world......

Is it just me, or are the roof and floor of that transfer opening pretty much straight across?

Last edited:
I have a 1 month old ms290 at work that was lean seized...

wouldnt this make for a fun sleeper saw....:msp_thumbsup:

I think I can score an older 028 woodboss for cheap, any idea if this kit would fit?

Damn you guys...

...I have that Kumbaya song stuck in my head again.

I gotta give Bradly a poke when I get a chance. He's my friend though......a petty disagreement on the interweb ain't gonna change that. We'll have a blast running each others saws in KY this spring......believe that. :msp_tongue:

I also have a 310 with a lightly scored piston and cylinder.
The saw still runs but feels way underpowered a dies at idle.
Removed the muffler an there is metal
Transfer to the cylinder walls.
I got it on trade for little or close to nothing.
This will be a decent upgrade for me from a MS-251 given all goes well with the build.

The plan is to do a 390 jug and slug
as well as a light port job on the exhaust
plus lighten up the manic muffler to let things breathe.

Where can a guy buy one of these high quality aftermarket kits?
Anyone have an opinion when it comes to %100 replaced parts on a piston and cylinder replacement on this model?
Perhaps a better worded question would be what are this saws biggest issues or weakest points of failure I should closely examine?

Really could use any do's or don't's
And what people have had good luck
With parts wise.

I am green as hell to this forum.

I also have a 310 with a lightly scored piston and cylinder.
The saw still runs but feels way underpowered a dies at idle.
Removed the muffler an there is metal
Transfer to the cylinder walls.
I got it on trade for little or close to nothing.
This will be a decent upgrade for me from a MS-251 given all goes well with the build.

The plan is to do a 390 jug and slug
as well as a light port job on the exhaust
plus lighten up the manic muffler to let things breathe.

Where can a guy buy one of these high quality aftermarket kits?
Anyone have an opinion when it comes to %100 replaced parts on a piston and cylinder replacement on this model?
Perhaps a better worded question would be what are this saws biggest issues or weakest points of failure I should closely examine?

Really could use any do's or don't's
And what people have had good luck
With parts wise.

I am green as hell to this forum.

Put in a Farmer Tech aftermarket piston and cylinder or even a complete aftermarket engine from the same source. You can also buy a silencer (muffler) from them to modify and save the original one, which being Stihl is good €€€/$$$/£££.
Most of these Chinese parts are actually pretty decent and on a 1127 family saw you are unlikely to notice any difference. I have some Farmer Tech parts installed on my MS290 "flying laboratory" and so far they are behaving well: the saw hasn't caught fire yet. ;)
Not really much that can go wrong on these 1127's: check the usual things you would check on any chainsaw, like oil seals and clutch, so you can place a single order for parts and save on shipping.

Make sure to check the rubber gas lines and rubber intake boot.... They can get cracks and cause lean issues....of course the kit should come with bearings and oil seals.... Sometimes if the saw is low hour you can re-use the crank bearings, but when in doubt SWAP THEM OUT!!!!

Does anyone have long term durability opinions on the aftermarket parts. I hear both good and bad. I've heard the chrome finish has a tendency to flake is this true? I don't have any saws that need a top end yet. Just wondering if there more of play toy parts or will they hold up long term. Thanks

Does anyone have long term durability opinions on the aftermarket parts. I hear both good and bad. I've heard the chrome finish has a tendency to flake is this true? I don't have any saws that need a top end yet. Just wondering if there more of play toy parts or will they hold up long term. Thanks

What I have installed on saws and brushcutters has held up well so far. I have more carburetors for Honda GX engines on the way: they are actually cheaper than rebuild kits from Walbro.
I haven't heard about chrome flaking or other big issues so far, only the occasional carburetor acting up and being replaced by the seller on a strict no questions asked basis.

Back