Aftermath - Wrist Pin Clip failure

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Lyngdal

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Here's what I found on a Stihl 034 with a 20" $40 garage sale purchase...
DSCN5571.JPG
DSCN5572.JPG

Compression was about 80 psi, so I knew it had issues. But at the price, the salvage parts were worth the asking price. Found pieces of the clip in the crankcase, but all the damage was delivered to the piston and cylinder wall. Cheap wrist pin retaining clips are a bargain with the devil.

I've always wondered what they use to make the clips.
Hard to feel too sorry for someone that would put a saw back together with a wispy Chinese pubic hair.
If one has to "rebend" the clip so it will sit tight in the slot, should not be too shocked when it falls out.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

I just want to add that my last Chinese wrist pin was a bit to long like a lot to long so how often do u think that happens? Make sure the clips fit real well before putting the thing together or they end up as an imprint on the piston.

I dont think they sell a non Chinese craftsman rebuild kit.

I'm rebuilding one of these. Went to the Stihlership with my list and included the circlips. The dealer didn't know if ordering "1" meant a pair or I had to order two. It surprised me a little but it shouldn't.

They sell a single circlips? What good would that be. Sometimes common sense needs to kick in.
I don't know! That was kinda my point. I'll either have two or four. I have two of the series to build but I have at least one pair to re-use. The old man that's the "expert" on parts didn't know so I'll work him over if it's not right. I enjoy people like him.

Latest posts

Back