Age and Health

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kirk

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'm a new member here and I love the feedback I've received.
I've been doing tree work for over 10 years now mostly out of my bucket truck. I am 44 and feel pretty healthy. I'm curious to know the average age of you guys and how long you plan on working. Also what you do to help maintain good joint and muscle care considering the demand tree work puts on us.
Thanks Kirk

I'm 50 and retired after 25 years climbing, mostly without bucket. Left knee is shot but all in all I'm unfairly good shape. Keep doing it until you no longer get any enjoyment from it. As far as maintaining what you got, I swear by Marlboro reds, black coffee, two hard boiled eggs for lunch and plenty of sleep.

I'm 57, climb 5 days or more a week. I've slowed down some maybe, but I can still do any thing I did 25 years ago. My program is lots of TV, video games, and surfing the net. I live on fast food and Dr.Pepper.
My fiancee is 20 years younger then me, keeps me from realizing how old I am.

I'm 55. I haven't climbed at all in about 12 years now but I still fill in and help the ground crew when we are short handed. I'm about to go split and deliver a cord of wood because we have two guys out sick and are short handed today. I drink Bacardi with diet coke or sometimes sprite zero and smoke all natural American spirit cigarettes. I try to keep my diet simple...lots of fried bologna sandwiches (with lettuce and tomatoes of course and lots of miracle whip) and stuff like chili dogs. I've always felt ice cream right before bed was an important part of keeping in top condition also.

I'm 39, started tree work at 18... still climb however I have definitely slowed down. Hernia, tendon damage in finger, and rotator cuff surgery so far... The bucket will preserve you a little longer so use it as much as possible! I workout 3 days a week which I'm sure helps a little. I still enjoy tree work and hope to keep doing it till I'm 65 or so. My suggestion is, use the bucket as much as you can and don't be afraid to delegate authority to some of the younger guys (if possible). Work smarter not harder

I'm 57, run the bucket about 70% of the time and climb or prune off the ground for the rest. I have sore shoulders, sore knees, sciatica which is bothering my hip and can't clench a tight fist in one hand. Other than that, the second joint on my 4th toe of my right foot is perfect. I believe extra cholesterol in the diet keeps the joints well lubricated.

I'll be 60 in spring, when I start back to work. I lay around during the worst of the winter months doing deep elbow bends with a variety of specialty health drinks. They must contain either coffee, alcohol or some herbal crap that works about like crack cocaine. Any combination of those ingredients is fine with me. I sometimes go to the gym. I don't go inside, I sit in the parking lot laughing my ass off. Burn a crapload of calories doing it, too. I don't have a bucket truck, spider lift, or anything resembling a crane. My wife thinks I've crossed that fine line between nuttier than squirrel **** and bat **** crazy. I was completely unaware of the existence of a line between the two, but I'm sure she's probably right. By her own admission, she always is. My retirement plan is to eventually take it easy and rest... someplace cool... like a grave or a mausoleum. Some days, I get up hurting in places I didn't even realize I had places. It's all good. Growing old ain't for wussies. Just keep pluggin' if you're having fun... worse thing that can happen is you will be horribly mutilated or die a slow, painful death due to chainsaw injuries or falling out of a tree. Could be worse. You could be an accountant, and accidentally bore yourself to death.

I'm not always this cheerful and optimistic, but I didn't want any of you bastards spending all night on the phone with the suicide hotline folks.

I don't want to talk trash, but today I foot locked a 11my rope 85 feet. I had most the crown cleaned out using my pole saw before the hot shot 20 something climbers made it up the tree. The wind kicked up so I had to do the tips(they were uncomfortable). I'm 57 and no one calls me pops or oldman, I'll kick their asses.

I'll be 60 in spring, when I start back to work. I lay around during the worst of the winter months doing deep elbow bends with a variety of specialty health drinks. They must contain either coffee, alcohol or some herbal crap that works about like crack cocaine. Any combination of those ingredients is fine with me. I sometimes go to the gym. I don't go inside, I sit in the parking lot laughing my ass off. Burn a crapload of calories doing it, too. I don't have a bucket truck, spider lift, or anything resembling a crane. My wife thinks I've crossed that fine line between nuttier than squirrel **** and bat **** crazy. I was completely unaware of the existence of a line between the two, but I'm sure she's probably right. By her own admission, she always is. My retirement plan is to eventually take it easy and rest... someplace cool... like a grave or a mausoleum. Some days, I get up hurting in places I didn't even realize I had places. It's all good. Growing old ain't for wussies. Just keep pluggin' if you're having fun... worse thing that can happen is you will be horribly mutilated or die a slow, painful death due to chainsaw injuries or falling out of a tree. Could be worse. You could be an accountant, and accidentally bore yourself to death.

I'm not always this cheerful and optimistic, but I didn't want any of you bastards spending all night on the phone with the suicide hotline folks.

Well, you do live in Nebraska,,,,,,,,,,,,:p
Jeff

I don't want to talk trash, but today I foot locked a 11my rope 85 feet. I had most the crown cleaned out using my pole saw before the hot shot 20 something climbers made it up the tree. The wind kicked up so I had to do the tips(they were uncomfortable). I'm 57 and no one calls me pops or oldman, I'll kick their asses.

Merry Christmas, Wade!
Jeff

I am 45 and still climb trees like a beast imho. I will say that losing dam near 50 pounds since last February has been a game changer for me.No doubt I added years to my climbing career. I also quit drinking 8 years ago and quit smoking 5 years ago which are also very important things to avoid imo.

I'm 46 climbing daily, 10 years of line clearance contract labor, 16 years more of residential work, takedown and pruning ect.... Takes a little longer to get moving in the morning but I find stretching exercises help a lot.

:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

I'm 46 climbing daily, 10 years of line clearance contract labor, 16 years more of residential work, takedown and pruning ect.... Takes a little longer to get moving in the morning but I find stretching exercises help a lot.

Stretching is the secret to longevity in this Business. Many injures could be avoided if one stretched before climbing also.

I am 45 and still climb trees like a beast imho. I will say that losing dam near 50 pounds since last February has been a game changer for me.No doubt I added years to my climbing career. I also quit drinking 8 years ago and quit smoking 5 years ago which are also very important things to avoid imo.

I stopped drinking alc. 15 years ago and have never smoked a cigarette. I don't want to preach, but not purposely sucking smoke into your lungs is going to improve your quality of life, no matter what your age.

Latest posts

Back