Air Filters?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oregon_Native

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I was wondering what the average life span of an air filter on a chain saw is. i end up cleaning the one on my pm610 about once every time i use it.

also are their any good ways to clean the filters of the flocked metal screen type.

I don't know the average life of a filter, but they last a long time if you clean them every day.
I run the K&N style filters (metal screen). I found I have the best success cleaning them in a sink full of strong dish water. I shake them pretty hard in all directions while they are under the water, then rinse them off and shake them out, set them on the mantle and they are ready to go when I am.
There is probably a better way, but this works real well. I've worked on forest fires where the sut realy stops them up, and the dishwater cleans them better than anything I've found.
Don't use a brush on them, it will realy eat them up fast. If trash is stuck in the bottom of the pleats, just keep shaking it in the dishwater it will come out. :blob2:

Depends on the saw. On my 066, I wash the foam pre-filter out in gasoline, and re-oil it. The inner element i blow out with compressed air. It has lasted for years, and looks new.

The flocked filters i separate in half, and spray them from the inside out with Brakekleen. The Tri-Chlor in it disloves washes the gas/oil right out, then i give it a shot of compressed air, and they are as good as new.

I replace the flocked filters once a season.

Hey, Retrospector,Wherecan you get K+N air filters for saws? I have one for my truck, didnt know they made them for saws.

Keith,
I got them at our local saw shop. The one that came on my 372 is identical. May be some difference that you can't see. The last K&N I bought was for my 288. Try Bailey's, or get in touch with K&N.

I hope they hav'nt quit making them. :blob2:

I use brake clean from inside out on 2 piece and then compressed air. On full foam filters like my dirtbikes I soak them in parts wash. And blow out with compresed air and spray with K&N foam filter oil to trap dust on the outside of the filter. Baileys does not have K&N in their catalog, They have max flow kits for stihl.

ontario026 said:
Has anyone tried the max-flow kits for an 044? or similar saw? Are they worth the money???
I like them, I feel they filter crap out better,you need to richen the high end and put another hole in the muffler though, but yes definitely woth the 35.00 Stock filters I would use 2-3 a year. :umpkin:

Back