All time most reliable saws?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a 372XP I've been using about 10 years now here and I cut about 5-8 cord a year with it my 346XP is about 7 years old now I think. Both run very strong. I also have an 056 that is made in West Germany that I still use on occasion and it still runs strong as well.

Oldies:
Poulan S25DA (air-raid siren)
Homelite 150 (even forgot mix oil, once; how's that for "timex"?)
Echo CS-315 (still have it, after thousands of hours)

Recent
"Mac" (Jenn Feng) McC1435 (great limbing saw)
Husqy 455r
Dolmar PS-6100 (keeping a place open)

Since I joined AS and learned a few things, most of my saws are reliable. Before AS, the damn things never worked when I needed them. I still find all non AT/MT chainsaw carbs to be of fundamentally flawed design, which causes the majority of problems, but with a little knowledge this can be dealt with.

Although I damaged the engine with bad fuel, that was not its fault - other than that my 42cc plastic Poulan/Craftsman always works. It starts, idles and runs without fail, and has always done whatever I needed it to. It's just a little more fun now that it's ported.

Those old Husky 50 -51 and 55's always seem to start and run, no matter how you treat them . Mine have sure put a lot of wood on the ground over the years, and have never let me down. They are still going as strong as the day I got them. Tough-bulletproof saws.

Since I joined AS and learned a few things, most of my saws are reliable. Before AS, the damn things never worked when I needed them. I still find all non AT/MT chainsaw carbs to be of fundamentally flawed design, which causes the majority of problems, but with a little knowledge this can be dealt with.

Although I damaged the engine with bad fuel, that was not its fault - other than that my 42cc plastic Poulan/Craftsman always works. It starts, idles and runs without fail, and has always done whatever I needed it to. It's just a little more fun now that it's ported.

I was running a predator this afternoon for fun, never cut a load with it, once it had some fresh mix up into it and warmed up, cut wood great. smaller one, I think they are 36cc. Basically a variation on the wild thing.

I had a s50 Partner for 30 years that had one fuel line changed, one sprocket changed, one clutch cover replaced, one top cover replaced, one bar replaced, and one oiler worked on. It was my main wood cutting saw for 16 years. When I gave it to a friend 2 years ago, it still cranked and cut just fine.

I have a 372XP I've been using about 10 years now here and I cut about 5-8 cord a year with it my 346XP is about 7 years old now I think. Both run very strong. I also have an 056 that is made in West Germany that I still use on occasion and it still runs strong as well.

I have a 371 now which is aces, really like it a lot. Previously had a near new 365sp which was about identical in performance. That one got ripped off, and a kind member here sold me that 371 for a you suck price.

Oldies:
Poulan S25DA (air-raid siren)
Homelite 150 (even forgot mix oil, once; how's that for "timex"?)
Echo CS-315 (still have it, after thousands of hours)

Recent
"Mac" (Jenn Feng) McC1435 (great limbing saw)
Husqy 455r
Dolmar PS-6100 (keeping a place open)

On your list, I have a similar small green wonder, an s25cva, and ain't planning on selling it any time soon, like it that much.

Not sure, have to poke in my junk pile, I might have a homie 150, but don't know. Have one of the old top handles, super ez, know it pops on mix in the throat.

On your list, I have a similar small green wonder, an s25cva, and ain't planning on selling it any time soon, like it that much.

Not sure, have to poke in my junk pile, I might have a homie 150, but don't know. Have one of the old top handles, super ez, know it pops on mix in the throat.

Just need ear plugs inside muffs with stock muffler with one of those 38 cc Poulans. IIRC, cost ~$70 @NAS NORVA. My candidate in the lightweight division: RedMax GZ4000.

The homie 150 is *different*- mine took many years of abuse, but after I straight-gassed it (learned my lesson there) and immediately shot some oil into the cyl., although it worked just fine, I thought it best to sell it. Got what I paid for it at a NEX. AFAIK, still running.

A year plus back, a bud was looking for a second saw, with more grunt than his stihl 250. No challenge there. Found him a used 150 with a very healthy engine, for $20. Eighty bux worth of parts and it's like new; I challenged him to stall it @WOT in big oak. Couldn't do it. He's a little uptight without a chain brake. Some fear-factor is a good thing.

Another candidate for "John Cameron Swayze" saw is the PP5020. Thrives on abuse. Costs pennies, relative.

I have a Stihl 034 that I bought new in 1993....got it 25% off list with a Stihl employee discount. At the time, I worked as a sales engineer for a company that was a vendor to the Stihl Virginia Beach plant. I used to call on the purchasing folks (they gave me the discount card) back in the day....impressive plant I have to say. Anyway, my 034 starts on the 3rd pull every time and runs like the first day I got it. CAD set in and now I have 4 Stihl saws.

Back