All time most reliable saws?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Soory the old HomeLite XL12 has got to have that beat?

First Cs 60 S was sold in 1965 !

"Echo CS-60S would fill that slot. Tough, dependable, and still being made after 45 years. I have 8 of them...Bob" last sentence is from Echo nut Bob !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I own a ms261 and a 660 but neither have any time to report of. My dad's 021 has been pretty much abused for 15 years now and I just changed the original plug and it's on its 3rd air filter. I hope the 261 shares this bloodline because I will never NEED a new small saw.
Edit. It did need two sprockets replaced also

I will throw the Pro Mac 700 into the ring.

I bought it from a local farmer who used it a lot. It was his favourite saw out of the 3 he had. Others were a Husky 45 and a Stihl 028. I bought the Husky and the PM700 for $50 each with new bars and 3 spare chains for each saw. This 30+ year old saw always pops on the first or second pull and always fires the very next pull. Always. He told me it is still the original carb too. I have accidentally left fuel in the tank for around 5 months when i did not use it and still it popped on second pull and fired the very next pull. All this would be meaningless if it did not cut well. All i can say is that it puts many new 65-70cc saws to shame with it's amazing torque. It just cut through this tough blackwood like it was Cyprus or some other softwood. However make sure you use gel lined gloves as the AV is simply non existent. I still felt like i was holding it cutting in a large log hours after i has stopped working!

upload_2014-10-23_0-19-9.jpeg

I own a ms261 and a 660 but neither have any time to report of. My dad's 021 has been pretty much abused for 15 years now and I just changed the original plug and it's on its 3rd air filter. I hope the 261 shares this bloodline because I will never NEED a new small saw.

Sssssshhhhh! Don't say things like that too loud. All of us CAD sufferers will come to the realisation that having multiple saws in the one size is a waste as time because they don't break down. As a follow on effect Husqvarna, Stihl, Jonsered and Dolmar plus others will loose so much business with CAD being cured that global financial markets will crash and we will end up being forced to eat sawdust to survive while we remember the "good old days"...... ;)

Sssssshhhhh! Don't say things like that too loud. All of us CAD sufferers will come to the realisation that having multiple saws in the one size is a waste as time because they don't break down. As a follow on effect Husqvarna, Stihl, Jonsered and Dolmar plus others will loose so much business with CAD being cured that global financial markets will crash and we will end up being forced to eat sawdust to survive while we remember the "good old days"...... ;)
I knew that statement would stir things up a bit. I like to shake the tree sometimes because the it brings out the Closet CAD's who think they don't have a problem or deny it's existence.;)

I'll make a plug for my Husky 262xp. Bought it new in '94 and it has supplied the wood for our place and my mothers every year since. The only thing outside of normal chains/bars/plugs/filters is that the rubber anti-vibe below the oil cap rotted away after about 15 years. That was a 20 minute replacement - love the simplicity of these saws. I put it away in late fall/early winter and don't run it again until early fall of the next year. Always has started on the 5th pull.

Of all the saws that I have put time on, I would have to say the 394-5 series are just about unstoppable for the amount of work they will do without being touched. For the smaller saws that you would want to use everyday allday the 372-272's were great for us. Some of the 357's had carb issues, a couple of the 266's self destructed, lost coils or something in the ing. on a couple of the stihls. Not going to comment on the new autotunes. I realize these are all the newer plastic saws, I have never put enough time on any of the older saws to say if one or the other were reliable or not. CJ

Back