And nobody died??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeesssss, that was a tough one !!! :hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

He was real lucky on his ladder when he was trying to cut that hanger. It could have ended in a real tragedy.

For you guys that only watched 1 and 6, go back and watch 2 starting at 1:30!

Dibs on the ladder when the inevitable happens...

I'm just a homeowner that cuts firewood for my woodburner. I started coming to the arboristsite to learn more about cutting and burning.

One of the first things I learned here was, "the words chainsaw and ladder do not belong in the same sentence". Good advice.:)

Yeah.....vids like that even make me cringe anymore.

Thanks, Kevin

Last edited:
Well all I can say is that since this was filmed back in Jan. 2008, I can only hope that this man has lived to see Jan. 2010.

timber

Oh my dear god!!!!!!!:jawdrop: What was that guy thinking (or not). That was the second video I have seen on this site where a guy was running a stihl with a dull chain are they that good, that a sharp chain doesn't matter? Or behold the power of stihl. :hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::bang:

Not that it really matters but what Stihl was he using, 460? I don't know why you guys are busting his chops; he had his ladder tied around the tree, safety first. I really liked the one arm saw technique after the first part of the top got snagged. In the last video I liked the off hand cut technique.

Those videos should be aired on that guys local tv station. . . Title the story, " 10 easy steps to kill yourself or someone else."

I've done some dangerous (see: dumb) stuff in my life. . . But nothing like that. It seems he was doing the guy running the camera a favor by doing the removal? The guy running the camera was absolutely clueless.

Maybe the old duffer is known locally as the "Guy that can do anything"? Knowing ones personal limitations is healthy -- for yourself and others around you.

You won't see me doing open heart surgery on someone, cause I watched a show on it once. :dizzy:

Hello,
That looked like some scary stuff right there. I liked the one handed ladder saw or whatever it was that he was doing. The stump at the end looked awful perty. Just which way was the thing supposed to fall? I no expert and all I cut is a bit of fire wood but I kinda thought the face cut determined direction of fall and the felling cut was parallel to the face cut and set up the hinge to control fall. My BIL does volunteer wild land fire and their chainsaw class more or less reflects my ideas any ways. What was the first ity-bity wedge cut he made all about? It sure didn't fall that way. I'm confused??? Oh. and one more thing, if you keep your chains sharp the cutters get shorter and then you need new chains. If you dont waste your time sharpening them they wont wear out and you wont need new ones. Duh. Basic economics.

Stay safe guys.

For you guys that only watched 1 and 6, go back and watch 2 starting at 1:30!

Dibs on the ladder when the inevitable happens...

Wow, I did watch video 2. He had the gall to say "that's how it's done," after that debacle! Oh my gosh! but you have to admit that the two major limbs fell without taking his dumb butt down off the ladder. Very "smooth."

Yikes.

*cringes* HACK JOB!!!!!!!??????

What the heck!!!! I am not even going to look at that stump again.....I have met others that make me wonder how they were not killed/maimed sooner......NEG REP TO HIM!!!!!!!.....well, if I could

Epic FAIL!

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/KKaE4dFxP4E&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/KKaE4dFxP4E&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Thats how 95% of Americans fell trees. I only watched the first and last. You give a guy a saw and he automatically is a pro. It took him forever in the last vid to get through that thing. If it wasn't for something to help pull it down, getting that saw out would have been fun. That chain must have been dull as hell or pinching half of the time. I am amazed that more people are not killed or maimed felling trees. That stump looks par for the course around here with weekend warriors. I'm surprised he didn't use a sloping backcut.

CORRECTION (That is how 95% of non-expereinced people cut down Trees). NOT JUST AMERICANS. Sorry that pissed me off alittle.:buttkick:

My kid got a kick out of vid 2 when the flying debri about took him off the ladder and the guy didn't even flinch. Thats a sign that he didn't even see it coming. I think a blind guy would have flinched when five foot logs go flying by inches away when your ''40ft'' up.

Now I'm a believer! Stihl bars are the best. Did you see the smoke comin out of the cut when John was droppin the hammer. And the bar showed no signs of scorching.

I liked the way the saw sat on the stump when the hammer fell. I thought he was gonna say,'' Just how old John planned it''

I kept waiting to hear pull harder on that rope jackazz!

Back