and the verdict is,

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evan

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
well i got home after making the 026 pro run. i did get it. it was in to good of shape not to, i also stopped at stihl dealer and got a 18" bar and rsf full skip chain. its all they had instock that wasnt green chain so i grabbed it along with 7 tooth 3/8 drive sprocket.

that brings up a question. with the chain mounted it doesnt seem to be very smooth is the 7 tooth 3/8 the wrong sprocket???

anyways heres pics. ohhhhhhhh i was gona mod the muffler right away and well you guessed it i started lookin closer and the H isnt adjustable ahhhh shucks. so ill wait to mod the muffler untill i can afford a replacement carb grrrrr.

here shes is with the rest of my saws.

she is like brand new saw. i did pull the muffler and it doesnt have anything noticable looks brand knew. this is with the 18" bar and rsf chain already mounted.

is the chain a 3/8 as well? Should be, if it is full skip, I would imagine.

Is the bar nose sprocket 3/8 as well? The two must match the chain. The dealer would of course know this.

RSC is considered "Green" chain, but it cuts like a samurai on steroids.

Oh, btw, very nice looking saw. Looks like new! Way to go!

If it is all correct, and still not smooth, maybe the chain is too tight? Just a thought.

Last edited:
it 7 pin sprocket, i thought that aswell that it was alittle tight. so i loosend it so it is sagn just a hair from the bar, kinda has the cogging feel to it, as you run it around by hand. ive run it alittle and it seems to be getn smoother.

i wouldnt exackly say this stihl dealer would know that ill run out double check that bar is 3/8.

i did want 16" but they didnt have it in stock, they gave me 20 bucks for safety 325 chain and 325 bar, maybe i should have kept it.

thanks for the replies.

i may muffler mod a drill the h jet out one size bigger. it does seem alittle fat on top so it may be fine.

I am surprised they had full skip in 18", that had to be a hand massager with such a light saw. I think you will be real happy with a 16" bar as it make the saw feel perfectly balanced and it will still cut plenty fast with the .325 chain. I like .050 gauge chain and bars better then the stock .063, but that is opening a can of worms so ignore that last statement.

stihl guy made the 18" chain from spool he had of rsf.

i cut some 12 post maybe ill get vid in alittle bit, im suposed to be rebuilding foot on our jumping jack compactor today since we didnt have anything to do, instead i went saw shopn and have been playn in the garage. got the l tuned in and the idle. ill try and clamp the log on my bench to cut.

i think im going to tune the top in with some muffler tuneing maybe 1/8 holes one at time since this muffler is so dang easy to mod. i love that muffler halves bolt together.

Last edited:
I've got an 026 that I ported the cylinder and piston, modded the muffler and it's still the stock 026 carb. It's a hungry little saw. Hopefully this weekend I can try it with some 3/8 square chisel chain

Full skip gives off more vibration than full comp. A full comp 16" RSC on that saw will be perfect. I use 3/8, but my saw is ported. Find an adj. carb like Brad mentioned and open the muffler.

i still think its not the right sprocket, drive teeth kinda raise up alitler when they get part way around the sprocket

dealer put the wrong sprocket on it , yesterday i tracked down small spline 3/8-7 pin sprocket, now its very smooth. still shakn my head over the stihl ldealer. i havent had much luck with them.

the one i got the sprocket from is more service minded shop, very little saw inventory but the service dept was stacked real deep probly 50 saws and misc 2 stroke stuff waitn to get picked up.

theyre even hideing down a back road thats unpaved. very glad i found them.

Evan

Nice looking saw Evan, did you beat the guy down to $200? That's kind of a screwy b&c setup, what are you cutting? I would opt for a 14-16" bar and .325 with that saw, a little underpowered for 3/8 and anything over 16". Hope it serves you well.

Scott

nope i payed 300, still think it was worth it.

i put the 18" rsf chain and 18" bar on it. did some cutn and its holds its own agaisnt the 310 with a 24" bar in small wood. muffler modded i think its going to run better, well find out today.

sprocket they gave me is marked P-7(assumeing picco-7) i now have a sproket thats marked 3/8-7 works much much better.

the stihl dealers around realy dont have a clue what theyre doing,

finaly this other dealer i found in the middle of knowhere i walked in he was wrenchn on saw and asked what he could do for me. i told him i need a small spline 3/8 sprocket for an 026 he steped away for sec and grabbed the sprocket. he knew exackly. this guys also cuts fire wood. they have huge piles of fired wood cut and split. they know theyre ****

also i paid 6.40 something for the right sprocket and 14 at the other dealer for the wrong sprocket. that kinda ticked me off. id like to return the wrong sprocket but i realy just dont want to go in there at all.

could happend anywhere i guess. not all stihl shops turn wrenches some just are in sales and put together chains.

Evan

Wow, that's alot of coin for an antique. $300 for the saw, probably $35 for the bar, $15 for the chain, $5 for the sprocket/rim. That is an interesting choice at $350+, I'm willing to bet you would have been happier with a 3/8 5100S or even a MS270 with .325 16" b&c. Oh well, I guess you are a sucker for the old stuff. Enjoy.

P.S. Don't take my comments the wrong way, I paid more for my setup than I had to, a 5100s and a 7900 would have been $200 cheaper and better performance but I have a dealer 50 yard away from my shop and wouldn't have dreamed of going anywhere else. I really hope you enjoy the 026.

Scott

Last edited:
Back