And this, boys and girls, is why we should ALWAYS wear our PPE

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There was a bit of discussion a while back re' shorts versus long pants

Obviously jeans won't stop a hard-spinning chain, but they will stop (or at least ameliorate) glancing injuries such as this

And these minor injuries are far and away the most common when it comes to chainsaws

I scored an almost identical set of wounds to this some years back, and would never again use a chainsaw without long pants

Preferably chaps or protective pants - but not bare legs

And yes, it does get quite hot here ...

Dr's advice... Dont even LOOK at it for 24 hrs. Leave it how they dressed it. After that wash with mild soap and water, leave uncovered after the first few days as much as possible. Put a thin film of neosporin over it when I dress it. Asked 2 of my aunts who are nurses and they agreed. I'm gonna go with that

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

OUCH! You were lucky. Thanks for reminding us how quick bad things can happen with chainsaws. Good luck with healing up!

Good, follow the docs advice and you are well on the road to healing. Also, I will be the guy who asks where your chaps are now...

7sleeper, a wet wound has neosporin or something similar applied to it, I guess. I am not a doctor.

Wow!

I've cut some the last week with my big saw. mid 90s out and humid. Full cutting pants, helmet and heavy saw boots. I don't care, sweat will wipe off. Do not want your experience!

Anyway, I just watched the revenant the other day, so I'll join in with the doctor advice. Eat raw fish caught with your hands. Crawl around and go for a swim in the river, and go over some falls, cleans the wounds out great.

Dang....Hope it heals well. I agree, wash with plain soap and water, pat/air dry, triple antibiotic cream and wrap with gauze, just to keep dirt/rubbing off. Doc told me same thing after 9-10 stiches in hand after cut it wide open on New Years ice fishing.

Wanna say thanks to everybody for the well wishes here, it's very much appreciated. This little accident could have, and probably should have, been much worse. I got lucky and I know it. This wasn't some freak accident, it was me being "too comfortable" using my saw. I really posted this as a reminder that anything can happen at any time and PPE shouldn't be overlooked no matter what we're using our saws for

Wanna say thanks to everybody for the well wishes here, it's very much appreciated. This little accident could have, and probably should have, been much worse. I got lucky and I know it. This wasn't some freak accident, it was me being "too comfortable" using my saw. I really posted this as a reminder that anything can happen at any time and PPE shouldn't be overlooked no matter what we're using our saws for

Don't worry, the picture you posted is embedded in my mind!

"Chaps, don't leave the barn without them."

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

So you are recomending an antibiotic creme? What is that going to do besides making someone feel better?

Wound healing has already started after the cleaning and sewing. That means that thrombin has already activated fibrinogen so that fibrin essentially seals the surface against all other "attacks". So what is an ointment going to do? Further all well blood supplied tissue like skin has very little problem coping with minor bacterial, fungal other viral attacks, because every healthy human being has an intact immun system. This immunsystem traditionally takes easily care of any of these superficial infections, because they are going on every day, minute or second.
What would be more of a problem would be tissue that is not well blood supplied like fat, clearly presented in the picture above! In this region bacteria (aerob or anaerob), to a much lesser content fungal or viral infections can become a problem. If bacteria do gain some "ground" in the fat, the typical sign would be a local reaction in form of skin reding and pain. These are the signs to be aware of!
If it comes to such an infection, oral wide band antibiotics(like a penecillin) is usually totally sufficient. But only in such an indication permitted. No sense in giving antibiotics when the body can cope with the problem alone.

Dr 7 in da house!

Workin'Rabbit hope you heal well, thanks for the photos, a good reminder indeed.

Latest posts

Back