Another fun day at the shop, shops share your stories..

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't tolerate any cussing in the shop, ok let me restate that, if you don't cuss the shop in not for the meek and weak,LOLOL

I've been trying to stop all that cussing. I've gotten better. I can now say two full sentances without saying a cuss word. I do admit I tend to fall off the wagon quite alot though,LOLOL

Don't you worry bout the saws being here, you bring ya ole hide on up here in Gods country where the devil himself lives,hahahahaa

Doesn't make a sheet to me, I'm cool as a fan.:cool: Ya'll can carry on, cuss, beat each other's arses, raise hel*, knock a few holes in the wall and I will be right there laughing my tail off. This world needs more folks like us.:D

I love it when they say that. Thats a close/tie down for me.

"So tell me Mr. Duffus, what is it you need to think over"
"You agree that X, Y, Z"
Of course he has to say right
"So be honest with me Mr. Cheapskate, it's the money...right? It always is."

From there it's either a matter of him having the money or not.

Now there is one class of folk that I call the North Shore Long Islander...They have the money, know they need it, but don't dare spend it without the wife saying it's ok.

Now this is were ya got to read people...

"Mr. Momma'sboy, were are your balls? Do you really need to run home and ask the wife or can you make the decision all by yerself?"

:)

And no I didn't sell jack today!

Good post. I get that non-sense alot. I'll have to think about it. I used to try to hook em with anything I could think of. Now I just go well we're here when your ready. That seems to work about as good as anything I've tried before. Alot of em do come back and buy what they were thinking about for days. I have found over the years do everything you can while they are in the building but if all else fails letem leave thinking highly of ya. Course after they go out the door we talk about em,LOLOL

Had a man the other day go are any Stihl's on sale. I go what did you say, he goes you got any Stihl's on sale. I go what did you say. He busts out laffing and goes ok I get the message. I laffed and he made his purchase...

Third funny one of the day. Stihl doesn't sell online, yeah right. Man views the Stihl website and then is led over to our store site. He views our site and starts calling me at the shop two weeks ago. After some serious deliberation he shows up today. He, with my help of course, makes his purchase after several phone calls. His shopping list consisted of 2-MS660's/24inch bar and chain, , 2-36inch bars, 2 extra 24inch bars, 4-36in chains, 2 extra 24inch chains, 2-filing kits, 48 bottles of mix oil and 30 gallons of bar oil. Best part was ole Hoss was there to help me load the mans car. Now who said Stihl doesn't sell online. Any Stihl dealer not using the PowerCord site is really missing out.

Got one up on ya Tommy ole boy. :p

Guy comes in yesterday and asks about a new pole saw..... ;)

Hour and a half later I loaded his brand new HT101 into his truck for him........

and it's twin brother.... sat them right along side his brand new 660, 2 brand new MS200T's, 2 spare 36" chains for the 660, 6 spare chains for the pole saws, 4 spare chains for the 200's, two cases of bar oil, couple of files, and a new throw rope. :D

Yeah he got a free hat :laugh: :cheers:

don't beleive the hype!
tommy hall is the meekest, mildest, most polite man you will ever meet.
(if you live in a cave and never come out)

I agree 100%. He's a fine feller, I know him well. Hey whats that in the white there, let me get my specs on, hmmmmmmm, why you common bass tard you, someone get my ball bat, LOLOLOLOLOLOL

I love the deal about the wife!

If I had enough room in my little place, I'd put up a sign saying that if you need to get your wifes permission, please spend that time, before you spend my time!

I don't get it nearly as much with saws, but tractors, forget it! When a guy comes in to ask about tractors, I just ask him where his wife is. Those guys are always just looking anyway and the ones that want to see the lowest priced tractor, I know are never coming back to buy!

Got one up on ya Tommy ole boy. :p

Guy comes in yesterday and asks about a new pole saw..... ;)

Hour and a half later I loaded his brand new HT101 into his truck for him........

and it's twin brother.... sat them right along side his brand new 660, 2 brand new MS200T's, 2 spare 36" chains for the 660, 6 spare chains for the pole saws, 4 spare chains for the 200's, two cases of bar oil, couple of files, and a new throw rope. :D

Yeah he got a free hat :laugh: :cheers:

Good job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And people say Stihl is too high,haha. Some fuss about the price of a 5100 or a 346 , one is 50.00 more than the other yet we got Stihl buyers forking out 3 plus grand like its nothing. Loyalty has no price, gotta love it...............

I didn't give my buyer a free hat, he got all I was gonna give. Woulda sold him one for a buck though,LOLOL

Had a guy wanted to get a bidding war started on 2 tractors, I decided it's better to be just broke instead of broke and tired. Since he purchased from the other guy I can now reserve the privilage of telling him to get bent in the future.

I love the deal about the wife!

If I had enough room in my little place, I'd put up a sign saying that if you need to get your wifes permission, please spend that time, before you spend my time!

I don't get it nearly as much with saws, but tractors, forget it! When a guy comes in to ask about tractors, I just ask him where his wife is. Those guys are always just looking anyway and the ones that want to see the lowest priced tractor, I know are never coming back to buy!

Aww but I love the wives who come shopping for the hubby. Naaaaaaaa he wouldn't like that saw,(300.00) Naaaaaaaaaa he wouldn't like that one either,
(400.00) now ya talking, he would love that saw(599.99 or more),hehe

Had a lady come in today to buy a cant hook for her hubby for Valentines day. I wondering how he's gonna take to that, love is in the air, put some wood in the stove honey,LOL

Had a guy wanted to get a bidding war started on 2 tractors, I decided it's better to be just broke instead of broke and tired. Since he purchased from the other guy I can now reserve the privilage of telling him to get bent in the future.

I've had people come in and say right out I'm not paying full retail, I want you to know that right now. My reply is always the same, I may smell your azz but I'm not gonna kiss it. They cool it real quick.

I'm with you, some deals are best left to the other guy. A no profit sale is not a sale, its a waste of time.....

Had a lady come in today to buy a cant hook for her hubby for Valentines day. I wondering how he's gonna take to that, love is in the air, put some wood in the stove honey,LOL

It's like buying your wife a new vacuum sweeper and some dusting supplies. Good one.

We're going to get accused of being bad guys here, but I've done that and enjoyed it!

Told one guy that I heard that the dealer three states away that gave him the great price also has a very qualified service department. He sort of though that was too far to tow the tractor, but I reminded him that it wasn't that far when he was buying it!

Friend of mine was going through this same think with a customer that was getting plain rude with him! He has spent hours with this guy on several days, and he bought somewhere else. Well he starts telling my friend that he is obligated to perform the warranty on the tractor because he is one of the dealers. My friend told him that he would be happy to do so, but he couldn't schedule it in for 3 months. I think that got the point across!

People don't understand that warranty is not a profit center and can tie up some funds while you wait for the claim. You need to make some profit on that tractor to cover the future warranty liability!!

Never a problem with Stihl. When I retire, I want to work for their warranty department!

Loyalty has no price, gotta love it...............

you aint kiddin on that one, you would think some people were raised by great grand pappy stihl.

Well I think Stihl has always done its homework. Loyalty doesn't come automatic, it has to be earned like anything else.

I had a man come in yesterday I have never seen before. He wanted some parts for a Poulan that belonged to his son. I told him I didn't have any Poulan parts. He looks around and goes you sell alot of Stihl. I go well we sell enuff to survive. He proceeds to tell me the company he works for has over 100 Stihls in use each day. I said what. He goes yeah we're a tree company. He gave me a name I had never heard before. I go well where ya been buying all those Stihls. He goes we shop around and buy a bunch of saws at one time to get a decent deal. I said well how come you haven't called me. He goes thats the other reason I'm here. Do you cut deals if a company comes in and buys 10-15 big saws at a time. I go hell yeah. He said good enuff, you will be on our list the next time we decide to buy a bunch of saws.

Now to the loyalty thing. He said there is only two brands of saws as far as he was concerned, Husky and Stihl. He said his company favors Stihl because they have been using them for years and years, they hold up very well. He said the Husky is a good saw too but we've never had any reason to switch from Stihl so we just keep using them and always will. Thats loyalty...

Since you didn't specify "saw shops" I'll get in on the fun since I have you all beat. Days like today are very few and far between (thank god!) but they do happen. I have been a motorcycle mechanic since 1984 and owned my own shop since 1999. I have been in the process of replacing head gaskets on a 1983 Honda Goldwing for a new customer. For those who don't know it's a liquid cooled overhead cam horizontally opposed four cylinder. Since automotive repair has been slow lately I got the wing buttoned up today, adjusted the valves, filled her full of coolant and fired her up to burp the air out of the cooling system. She's purring along just fine and then she coughs through the intake twice, goes BANG and then quits. Curious, I tried starting her back up but she's locked up, crank rotates back 3/4 of a turn and then locks again. Lovely! So I tear her all back apart again and lo and behold the intake valve for the cylinder that was full of coolant originally, snapped it's head off and embedded it into the piston wrecking both piston and cylinder head. I know I put it together right and it ran beautifully for a couple of minutes but it was still a tuff phone call to tell the customer the bad news. If it was my own bike I would just shrug and push it out back to the junkyard but to tell a new customer that his motor blew in my care is about the worst thing I have ever had to do. It's days like these that make me wish I sold firewood for a living.

We're going to get accused of being bad guys here, but I've done that and enjoyed it!

Told one guy that I heard that the dealer three states away that gave him the great price also has a very qualified service department. He sort of though that was too far to tow the tractor, but I reminded him that it wasn't that far when he was buying it!

Friend of mine was going through this same think with a customer that was getting plain rude with him! He has spent hours with this guy on several days, and he bought somewhere else. Well he starts telling my friend that he is obligated to perform the warranty on the tractor because he is one of the dealers. My friend told him that he would be happy to do so, but he couldn't schedule it in for 3 months. I think that got the point across!

People don't understand that warranty is not a profit center and can tie up some funds while you wait for the claim. You need to make some profit on that tractor to cover the future warranty liability!!

Never a problem with Stihl. When I retire, I want to work for their warranty department!

We have a saying around the shop that gets used quite a bit.

"We're not paying for your mistake"

A few other favorites are

"Did you try the service department at Wal-mart?"

"I think Sears might carry parts for that saw"

"Now. tell me again how much you saved on that saw"

:D :laugh:

Good story there. I get alot of Stihls in that were bought elsewhere, they have the dealer sticker on them. I always make it a point to say in a fun way of course, "why did you buy this saw there", how come you didn't buy it here". Its fun to watch the looks on their faces and sometimes they even try to explain to me why. I always stop them and go I'm messing with ya but from now on you buy from me or I'll come burn your house down. They laff, I gotem for life..

Since you didn't specify "saw shops" I'll get in on the fun since I have you all beat. Days like today are very few and far between (thank god!) but they do happen. I have been a motorcycle mechanic since 1984 and owned my own shop since 1999. I have been in the process of replacing head gaskets on a 1983 Honda Goldwing for a new customer. For those who don't know it's a liquid cooled overhead cam horizontally opposed four cylinder. Since automotive repair has been slow lately I got the wing buttoned up today, adjusted the valves, filled her full of coolant and fired her up to burp the air out of the cooling system. She's purring along just fine and then she coughs through the intake twice, goes BANG and then quits. Curious, I tried starting her back up but she's locked up, crank rotates back 3/4 of a turn and then locks again. Lovely! So I tear her all back apart again and lo and behold the intake valve for the cylinder that was full of coolant originally, snapped it's head off and embedded it into the piston wrecking both piston and cylinder head. I know I put it together right and it ran beautifully for a couple of minutes but it was still a tuff phone call to tell the customer the bad news. If it was my own bike I would just shrug and push it out back to the junkyard but to tell a new customer that his motor blew in my care is about the worst thing I have ever had to do. It's days like these that make me wish I sold firewood for a living.

Yikes, thats something there. Man thats a tuff situation there to deal with...

Latest posts

Back